Thread: What would you do in this horrid

What would you do in this horrid

situation?
    My cat tiger brought in a live baby rat (teenager), but it was back legs were paralised.
    I cant afford a vet bill for a wild rat.
    What would you have done and then i'll tell you what I did, it might make me look less horrid if i knew what you would do!
    Ky and Rio
    Ky = Me, Rio, the new addition Donnie and Tia (the fuzzy ferts) = My Love My Life My All.

how sad
    theres really nothing you can do.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

OOOOOH, WOW! That's a toughie! Well, the local humane society by me takes care of wild animals, so I would most likely try to take it there. BUT, if that wouldn't work out for some reason I think I would gas it until it passed away.

No matter how you put it to sleep, it is at peace now suffering no pain...don't beat yourself up over it, at least you did something to help it out and didn't let it go to suffer and be eaten by something....
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Well i'm gunna sound really horrid now, the cat ran off, we have no shelter close by, its was dark and cold, 9pm, i had just got back from work and i couldnt kill it (because i was scared that if i did i wouldnt do it right and it would suffer more), so because it was so peacefull just layeing there i put it outside and hoped the cat would come back and kill it.
    I know i know im so cruel but i didnt know how else to kill it, gas it how?
    Ky and Rio
    If i can gas it (with what ever i have at home)(and hyginly) i will go outside and see if its still there.
    Ky = Me, Rio, the new addition Donnie and Tia (the fuzzy ferts) = My Love My Life My All.

well being night & dark & cold & no b/f I would of probably kept in a cage inside so it would at least be warm, then take it to the shelter or vets in the morning.

The vets in my area dont charge for wild animals (although not all will take in a wild animal)

But when i had a b/f i had him take care of the dirty work. I was always afraid i wouldnt do right either.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

dont feel bad. when we lived out in the booneys my farm cats brought me many "gifts". once one of my cats brought me a baby rabbit and i was so upset!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I have had some paralyzed animals in the past and some doves and mocking birds with pox that have had to be immediately put to rest (the birds with pox would have died slowly by starvation otherwise). What we find works best with small animals is... (This more horriable than anything I could possibly say, but it works well)... we, well my husband really, puts the animal in a bag and sets it right under the car tire and quickly drives over it. It's so quick that it dies before any pain sets in. We have gassed some before, but it takes a long time and it's not easy. You need to get the gas and animal sealed tightly in a container. It's hard to get and keep the gas in a container.

I've never tried it, but I've read that you can put the animal in a bag over the tailpipe of a running car.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

The vets here will take in any wild animal and put it down for free. I wouldn't like it to be killed though. Take it to the SPCA and give it to them.
    I've been BOO'd!

Yikes. That's a tough one.

My neighbor's cat dropped a baby rabbit with a broken back on my front porch once. I just couldn't cope. I had to get my other neighbor to come take care of it. I am NOT good at things like that.

Car exhaust is a terribly cruel way to die. It is hot, and burns the lungs, causing slow, painful suffocation. Not humane.

I would have probably put the rat in a cage of some sort, and tried to find a rehabber or a shelter to take it the next day. If that didn't work, I'd probably find some guy to kill it for me. I'm a weenie about that sort of thing, and so is my bf, so he would be no help.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Call around. When we found baby rabbits in Findlay Park and one was severely injured, I called and a local vet said he could euthanize it for free because it's considered a wild animal.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    The vets here will take in any wild animal and put it down for free. I wouldn't like it to be killed though. Take it to the SPCA and give it to them.
    if its injured that bad though the spca would put it to sleep anyways.

Most vets in my area take in any wild animal for free, & most will only euthanise only if needed, they will try to rehabilitate or send it to a rehabilitator.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.