Thread: FeLV, FIP, FIV ????

FeLV, FIP, FIV ????

I'm confused about all these and since they've been the topic of conversation lately I thought I'd ask for a quick explanation on what they are. I guess I figure if I'm confused there are others out there too, and a quick run down from those of you "in the know" might be a good thing here on PT. I know one is feline aids and one is feline leukemia but not sure.......

Thanks in advance!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

FeLv .... Feline Leukemia Virus (If tested and negative, there is a vaccine)

FIV .... Feline Immunodeficiency Virus ... AKA Feline Aids (same as above, there is a vaccine)

FIP .... Feline Infectious Peritonitis (DEADLY, no cure, and even the testing is often inconclusive)
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

My Aysche has died from FIP, and most likely she also had Feline Leukemia, a real tragedy!

There's also a vaccine for FIP, but not very reliable. Some even say it can make FIP break out if the cat is already infected with the corona virus.

The mean thing about FIP is that it's caused by a mutated form of the corona virus. Fact is that many cats have been infected with the "harmless" form of the corona virus and have developed antibodies, but the virus remains in their system and under certain circumstances, such as stress or a weak immune system, the virus mutates into the form that causes FIP. It would often happen when a cat is already infected with FIV or FeLV, which has most likely happened with my Aysche.

Kirsten

Yes, Kirsten is right..... they do have a vaccine for FIP, but my vet won't give it .... it's too risky!!!

They don't vaccine against FIP or FIV in England and the FeLV vacinne is only 70% effective.

Is FIP contagious? If so to what extreme? FIV requires bites or scratches and FeLv can be transmitted by sharing food and water. I think I have that right and please correct me if I'm wrong.
    I'm confused about the FIP.

Thanks everybody, and thanks CCL for the question on how they are transmitted.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

I was told by our vet that tranmission is through blood (biting, breaking skin). Litter box and food no. I asked during all our stuff should I go home and clean like a crazy person etc.

There is lots of information out there from so many various sources. Some say this.. Some say that. I found lots of information that controdicted each other.

The best advise CONSULT YOUR VET, sort out with him/her all the information you've found. There is alot of information out there that is old and out of date. Newer research has been done. It's hard to tell when some of these articles were written.
    Last edited by Craftlady; 03-05-2004 at 01:19 PM.

Originally posted by catcrazylady
    Is FIP contagious? If so to what extreme? FIV requires bites or scratches and FeLv can be transmitted by sharing food and water. I think I have that right and please correct me if I'm wrong.
    I'm confused about the FIP.
    Yes, it is, and the virus can survive up to 6 months outside its host.
    I agree FIP is a very confusing disease.

FIP is at least 17 different viruses; most of them are present continually in the environment. Coronavirus mutates readily; that's why the test and vaccine isn't worth diddly. Mutant coronavirus causes SARS in humans. Nasty stuff!

As far as decontamination, washing all bedding in bleach, and using 1% bleach on solid surfaces will kill ANYTHING. They use that at work in the biohazard areas, and they work with some pretty heavy duty biohazards.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

My Cats all get FIP Vacines , which are Drops that are put into the nose , and I ahve been told that not only am I wasting money , but that I might actuallly be exposing them , to the virus! Advice , Please!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Gary, don't panic about already having exposed your kitties by the vaccine. FIP generally is most fatal to kittens under the age of six months! Older cats can carry the non-effusive (dry and non-symptomatic) form, but it generally doesn't cause any problems for them!