Thread: Why Is He Doing This???

Why Is He Doing This???

for the past 4-5 nights my dog will poo on the carpet in the living room. He is 2 and a half. The go out everymorning at 5:10 and come in every night around 10-10:30. (then in and out all day when we are home) so it's not like he is inside all the time. when i brought them in when i got up we went in the living room and i saw what he did i started yelling at him and he ran away. i picked him up ( he is a husky.. not an easy feat!!) and carried him in and not rubbed his nose in it but put his face clese to it and yelled at him then put him outside... now how can i stop it BEFORE it happens (i think he even peed there yesterday..)

What breed is this dog? HOw long have you owned him for? Is he an only dog? If not how do you know it is him?

Are there any changes at all in any of his surroundings etc.? Like his food, new home, new addition to the family, new carpet, change of schedule, new medications etc., has another animal used that spot as a potty before?
    If the answer to any of those is yes than that may be your problem.

If the answer to that is no then I would clean that area really well with a product used for that purpose like natures miracle etc. If you have already used an amonia based cleaner on that are then it may be worthless & he will still smell it there so the training may not work.
    Then work on re-training him just as if he was a puppy again. Keep him away from that room/area when he is not supervised, a gate or crate or keep him in a seperate room etc. When you let him out are you out there with him? If not than I suggest you start so you can see if he actually goes or not. Give him a potty command & when he obeys PRAISE, PRAISE, PRAISE!
    Also maybe a vet visit just in case, sometimes worms may cause this behavior or possible colon cancer. Also if he is not neutered get that done as it will help prevent colon cancer & other marking behaviors.
    Maybe he is not getting enough excersize as he used to or as much as he needs then he may be doing it to get "even" with you for not providing him with the proper care.
    Has his behavior changed in any other way besides this?
    Maybe something is scaring him at night?
    Maybe try feeding him earlier in the evening
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

we have 4 dogs but only 2 in the house. The other one would rather explode then go in the house. or anywhere near it.
    We live on a farm and we have 50 acres. they get lots of excersise and there is no change. we changed their food about 2 weeks ago... they eat when ever they want. I think i might have to leave him outside over night.

i used to have to leave my pomariaian out in out barn at night because he would always pee or poo in the floor at night. he is better now....because i bring him in my room at night and he won't go.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I think doggies are just like little kids - sometimes they have accidents My dog Sparky sleeps inside on my son's bed. We take him out for a wee before bedtime but on one or two occasions he has done a poo overnight in the same spot in our family room. He gets a good talking to and is put outside, but I just clean it up and hope it doesn't happen again.

Thats what i do.. i hope it works.

If you changed the food, maybe that is one of the reasons it's happening, have you taken him to the vet, maybe there is something wrong.
    Also I personally don't think that yelling & putting their noses close to the poo helps at all, if anyting it just scares them (expecially a siberian, they are so unlike any dog I've ever had).
    I know I can't yell at Roxey, it just scares her.
    I hope you can find an answer without having to leave him outside all night

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Make sure the spot is cleaned very well with something directly made for that. Often dogs will smell the spot, and figure that they can go there again. Nature's miracle works wonderfully, and I've also been told to use white vinegar and water. Obviously he thinks this is ok, and he needs to be reminded differently. Make sure when he does go outside, he is praised--just like when he was training!!
    Good luck!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Originally posted by lovemyshiba
    Make sure the spot is cleaned very well with something directly made for that. Often dogs will smell the spot, and figure that they can go there again.
    Good luck!!
    Don't I know that!

One time, Leather was left in the house for the whole day (Can't remember why?) And she had to go, so she peed and pooed on the linoleum. Well, a million times it was scrubbed, I swear. And when we got my old rottie, Zoe, she did her business on that same spot every single day!! Gosh my dad didn't like that...
    I've been BOO'd!

After you clean the area realllly well, try putting one of those large plastic door mats over the area for a while at night. (they have those little pokey feet that keep it in place). It helps if he doesn't have access to that spot, in case it still smells a little. I agree too, that maybe the change in food has something to do with it.... worth checking anyway. good luck!
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

My dog Gypsy, does this from time to time, and it is extremely frustrating. It worried me at first because she did it even if the back door was open, so I thought something was wrong. I eventually realized that she only did it when she was mad at me, for not giving her the attention she thought she deserved. She even does it in strategic places, that she knows I will see.

Punishment is a tricky thing with huskies. Gypsy seems to know that even if she gets banished to the backyard, she'll be able to come back in within a few hours. She always knows what she is doing and that she's not supposed to be doing it, but she's a lot like a 4 year old child, and she only listens when she wants to!

All that being said, I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world! She makes everyday an interesting experience!