Thread: Potty Training Question

Potty Training Question

Sarah is doing pretty good. She doesn't pee in her crate through the night. She lets us know when she has to go outside for the most part. Right now, I am crating her while I'm at work. Currently, I am able to come home at lunch and let her out to go to the bathroom. But I won't be working nearby next week, so I will be unable to relieve her. So, Sarah will be home alone for about 8 1/2 hours.

My options are:

1) Crate her and she'll pee on herself.

2) Put her in the larger big dog crate and put some newspaper or puppy pads in it.

3) Lock her up in the garage so she doesn't associate peeing with the inside of the house since she doesn't have a choice.

What should I do? Any suggestions? I don't want to make the mistakes with her that I did Ted.

Thank you Wolfie!

Gigi came home paper trained. We live in a condo, so she does her business on a designated area covered with paper (see below).

When go to work I just "close" the play pan and put her little bed and a few toys in there. She is doing pretty good with that. Usually when I am home the paper will be soaked. I think this works for her, cuz she gets more freedom than being locked in her den.
    Jen & Gigi

Thanks Kay for the set.

Cool, I think that's my best option. What is that container thingy that you have the paper on?

Thank you Wolfie!

Originally posted by Tonya
    Cool, I think that's my best option. What is that container thingy that you have the paper on?
    Oh, that was the bottom part of Chilli's old crate that Gigi inherited (sp?). But Gigi won't go pee INSIDE the crate, so I was being creative and just use the bottom part. It would be great if she would use the crate, because every time she pees she steps on her own pee. See my other illustration here

It's what the crate supposed to look like (this is a new one Chilli has now, but the one Chilli "gave" Gigi is similar. The "container thingy" should have those wired bars over it, so when she pee it will go to the paper and she won't be stepping on it. My mom told me petstores in Hong Kong have just the bottom part (the wired bars + the thingy) for sale, so when I go home this year, I will get one.

Good Luck in training Sarah! (Hope you can understand my explanation. )
    Jen & Gigi

Thanks Kay for the set.