Thread: Agility

Agility

Gigi's CT class will start next week, I am so excited. The trainer sent out an email asking whether we would be interested in having our dogs to sign up for agility beginning class. I am wondering whether Gigi will be a good candidate. She just turned 5 months. She graduated from puppy class last Sat. BUT her attention span is very short... basically whoever has treat in their hands, you will find Gigi there. Apparently my treats are not as yummy (definitely not as big as the other owners for sure). She is a very active dog (though I am not as active...LOL) and she looooooooooves to jump. Though when we practiced commands at home she is doing pretty good. Just when we are at class or another environment she is not listening to me. We have been practicing bits and pieces of CT at home, and she DOES pay attention to the treats and clicker...

I guess my main question is does anyone have their doggie try agility. And do you think Gigi is a good candidate. I personally would like for her to try. But I am afraid we will become the clown in the class. Any suggestions/comments/ideas are appreciated. Thanks.
    Jen & Gigi

Thanks Kay for the set.

All the classes around here don't accept dogs for agility lessons until they're a year old. It's just to ensure that they're done growing. But..

Why not give it a shot! Kai's attention span is like Gigi's but when we're doing something he likes, he's extremely focused. For instance, we'll be heeling..then halfway through, he'll sit and stare into space with his nose up in the air. Then when we're playing hide and seek, he'll be extremely focused.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

I replied the trainer telling her what I have wrote here and will see what she said.
    Jen & Gigi

Thanks Kay for the set.

usually its 18mths to start but when she's old enough you could try it, i love it and we're still beginners Rio loves it and is allways raring to go,lol
    small dogs can do it just as well, just smaller,lol
    at our class there are 3 paps they are getting good just a little harder to train, but are capable.
    I would say give it a try.
    Ky and Rio
    Ky = Me, Rio, the new addition Donnie and Tia (the fuzzy ferts) = My Love My Life My All.

Agility is really fun! All dogs can participate, but like everyone else said, Gigi might be too young (don't want her to get hurt!). Good luck though, I'm sure Gigi would love it! ^_^

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

My puppy (now 11 months) started training when she was 6 months old, we did no strainious work though. Most places wont take them this young, but I knew the trainer and she and I wanted to start Abigale early.

Now I think it would be GREAT for Gigi, but being a Doxie concerns me. It's bad enough for a Doxie to jump on the couch, Doxies doing jumps and going through tires etc really worries me about their back. I am SURE not an expert, and I am sure she will be fine. It is just something I would be concerned about.

Edited because I can not spell

I would give it a shot. It’ll be good for both of you. If your unsure of how Gigi will perform, you could also try flyball. I have been interested in flyball for quite sometime, but haven’t gotten off of my lazy butt and done anything about it. I think it would wear her out really well.

Well, our Clicker class will start next week, then the trainer can see it for herself whether Gigi will be a good candidate. This girl has so much energy, sometimes I feel bad for having no energy after work. And she loooooooooooves to jump. I keep telling her NO, cuz it's bad for her back. Does she listen to me? Nope. But if the trainer says it will fit Gigi, I will definitely go for it.
    Jen & Gigi

Thanks Kay for the set.

Originally posted by binka_nugget
    All the classes around here don't accept dogs for agility lessons until they're a year old. It's just to ensure that they're done growing. But..
    Prince started when he was around 6-7 months. Our trainer actually has quite a few younger dogs. Sometimes they can cause a bit of trouble, but they actually did very well.

We had a little dog named Bear in our agility class. Of course he was bigger than Gigi, but if Gigi loves to jump, she could be very good at it! I do think that maybe you should wait a while before you bring Gigi to agility classes, especially since she is such a small breed. We don't want to rush anything!

It does take time, and you have to practice at home also. But it comes out to be a lot of fun, and you can meet new doggie friends! Tell us how it all goes!

Just HOW DO YOU solve a problem like Maria?
    The age for a dog to start competing at is 18months old for all the organizations. As far as the age for classes go, even puppies can do it as long as it's not putting a lot of pressure on their joints. In otherwords they shouldn't be doing a lot of jumping but they can still learn how to do the tunnel, chute and get a slight start on some of the other pieces of equipment. It's also a good chance to get an early start on the flat land training (Ie. following the lead hand.)
    Goonies never say die!

Thanks Amy for the great sig!

I would think that would be great for her! Just make sure about the doxie back thing. I think she would enjoy it, it would really keep her in good shape too, I know my two doxies run and run and run all the time playing and boy are they fast and lean! Dachshunds are great dogs!
    [CENTER]
    *Brandy*