Thread: flea & tick medication

flea & tick medication

My dog acts very strange when I apply the Frontline flea & tick medication. Any suggestions on an alternative? Thanks.

Can you be more specific? Is it putting it on that makes him act strangely, or does he act strangely after you put it on? Mine are always mildly irritated at the sensation they get when I put it on them, but they get over it quickly.

You might discuss his reaction with your vet if you're really worried about it.

I guess this the time to remind every one to be very carefull about the medicence they choose for their pets. After almost losing our old man winky (14yr.cat) Please go to your vet and really question the one they perscribe.
    For all the folks who don't know the story. Last year I gave the normal flea and tick med I have given him for years. He started seizing (horrible thing to watch) By the time we got to the vet (after hours On a friday) He was not stopping it was one continuos seize. The vet wasn't sure hed live if he did hed be a veggie. They had him comatose for 12 hours. When he came to he was shocky and they had to steam incubate him for about 4 hours. Then he seemed ok a little dis orented. Sat afternoon the (2 lady vets) packed him around in a baby front pack to keep an eye on him. Monday he was VERY happy to see Ben (his cat) they all were amazed no damage (tough old cat) He is the same cat as always. $ 450.00 and 3 days of fear I will never use flea products again (Herbals only) and bathes in shampoo. Luckly we live in a fairly flea free area.
    They vet couldn't find the med in her book for an antidote so we had to guess. But she really is one on the case of no over counter meds for fleas ,she sees a lot of cats die from these meds.
    My moral of the story check and recheck what the vet s say and DONOT use over the counter meds.

she acts strangely beforehand, when she sees it, but once it's on, she slinks around, has her head down, tail between her legs and just acts weird. I've asked my vet, she thinks it's in her head - even if it is, I don't like the way she acts after I put it on her. My vet said she'd call the manufacturer and get back to me, that was 3 weeks ago. Yes, I need a new vet but wondered if there was anything natural or foods that would naturally repel fleas and ticks. Thank you for asking.

you can get collars or fabric medallions that have herbals in them . they are terrific I have used them before , go to your health food store and ask you can make them your self cheep. I can't remember the ingredance right now but i'll look in my herbal book and post it later.

the herbal thing sounds great! If you can find the herbs that would be great too. Many thanks!

Brewers Yeast for Flea Control

May I recommend using Brewers yeast for Flea control? It is the best option and healthy for the pet. You can get it at pet stores in a tablet or at your General Health food store in a powder. Try to avoid the ones with Garlic. Garlic causes bad smelling gas.
    Brewers yeast works as a "Repellant". You can not smell it but the Brewer's yeast will secrete through the dogs hair follicles and the Fleas Hate the smell.
    Not only is it good for Fleas but their Coats will be better and softer! It does take some time to work and make sure your dog doesn't have an allergy to Yeast.
    I have a dog that is allergic to fleas and often flea killers are too harsh for him and me.
    Try this solution. It can be cheaper buying the powder form at the Health food store and easier to apply.