Thread: Guinea pigs

Guinea pigs

I am very interested in getting some guinea pigs, and a friend of mine happens to have a few that she wants to find a home for..

Would it be better for a first time guinea pig owner to get males or females?

I've been doing a lot of research about them, but would like to get peoples opinions about them, that actually are owned by them.

Also, I would love to see some pictures of peoples guinea pigs!!

Hey! I honestly can't tell you whether males or females are better. Sorry, I've only had one guinea pig. But, IMO, getting a young one is a good idea. They are so timid, it's nice to be able to get them used to being handled at a young age. Mine was Angus, he was all black. He was about five when he died. It was so hard, too. I loved him so much. He went with me from Washington to Virginia to Texas. They make great pets, they are so cuddly and funny. Post photos when you can!

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

if you're just planning on getting one then you can get a male, but if you ever want to get another one then males don't like accepting other piggies so you should get a female.
    edit:i don't have my piggies any more ( ) but you can see them in my sig

My friend has a 4 of them that are only 3 weeks old, and she says that they are old enough to go to their new homes, is that true? That seems awful young to me, but I've never had a guinea pig before, so who knows?

If it doesn't work out getting one or 2 my friends guinea pigs, there is a guinea pig rescue that isn't too far from here, and I'll look in to getting one of them.

Guinea pigs are great pets!

3 weeks old isn't too young. Guinea pigs are able to walk the day they are born, and reach sexual maturity at 5 weeks, maybe 4, so the males have to be away from their mom before then.

I've heard that both make good pets though, but I've only had females. There isn't really much of a personality difference between males and females, except that males will fight with other males if not introduced as babies. So if you want two males you have to get them at the same time, both as babies.

Good luck! ^_^

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

I have 3 guinea pigs at the boarding facility where I work. We're not boarding them, though. We do a lot of small animal and bird rescue. All 3 pigs came from the local pound and all at different times. They are all female and are now all together in one large cage. Not one of these 3 like to be picked up or even touched much. They do however love head rubs. I guess what I'm trying to say is although the pigs at the rescue need a home and need a mommy to love them it might not be the best way to go. I do love guinea pigs and they do make great pets. Just becareful getting them at a rescue. Go and spend time with them and get to know them before you take one home. Good luck with them, you'll have fun!

i like males . but they spot pee. i love guineas they are so sweet and gentle when they get to know their owner.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

3 weeks is old enugh for a piggie to leave, it depends more on the size of the litter, for example a small litter will reach sexual maturity must faster then a large litter, you know its time to leave when the males start rumble strutting(walking on there toes, purring, and strutting). as for males or females, I would say males. I have found males to be more cuddly and friendlier then females, my males like to cuddle and do no get scared off, by my females try to avoid being cought under all curcumstances, thats just my experiences though. make sure you have a BIG cage, prefrably a C&C cage, dont feed those mixed diets, just pellets, make sure they get lots of veggies, Dark leafy greens in particular. unlimited hay is a must. and warning, piggies can be NOISY. they know there rutiens and they dont let you forget it!
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Guinea pigs make wonderful pets! I currently have 2 females but have also had a male and female living together. It really depends upon their individual temperaments re: how they will get along. But if you get a mixed couple, please make sure of them is "fixed!" I've never noticed any real sex realted personality traits. But I've been blessed with real sweeties, male and female! My RB boy Squeekers was a real mush and Mama's boy. My Moon is a very spirited and feisty girl! This past winter I fostered a piggie mom and her babies for our local shelter. The babies are born fully sighted with thick, full coats and ready to eat solid foods! They went back to the shelter at age 3-4 weeks, ready to be adopted. We've had a lot of lengthy, informative piggie threads here on Pet Talk. If you'd like, I can search them out for you. And the Cavy Compedium is a great on line forum for advice, info., support and sharing!

Cavy Forums

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Thanks for the link to the forum, and for the advice everyone.

Would this cage be suitable for a piggie or 2? It was made for rats, but it's very long, and its not that tall, so I figure it might work... If not, I can make one of the C & C cages, but I thought I would ask, just in case it might actually work.

I can't really judge how big it is from the pic... do you have any measurements molucass?

I just decided to keep it for the rats and make a C & C cage.

Thanks anyways.

Okay. Your pigs will love the C&C cage! Have fun making it!

i have a C&C cage, it is great, i was going to get a cavy fromt he shelter but my mom desided to wait for me to moveout.. blah.. so it is tucked away in my walk in closet
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven