Thread: Cardigan Welsh Corgi

Cardigan Welsh Corgi

Hello! I'm new here. I found a link on the Rats Rule! forum for ratlovers. Anyhow, I have done some research and would love any new information about Cardigan Welsh Corgis. Especially from current or previous owners.

From what I've seen and read so far, I think this may just be the right dog for me! Of course, I will want to meet one in person before I make a final decision. I am still in the research stage though, so it will be a while before I get to the actual purchase/adoption stage. I will be moving in the summer and the needs of the breed I choose to have will affect my decision on what type of space I move to, so I want to make an informed decison before I find the house/apartment/condo, etc.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing your stories!

Not a Cardigan but a Pembroke owner "Link below". I won't find anything bad about a Corgi LoudLou and I are the only Corgi owner's here.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...ighlight=holly
    Rest in peace Princess Holly Bear...

Thanks!

Holly is just beautiful! Thanks for sharing those pics! Is she your first Corgi? How long have you had her? Tell me a little bit about her personality, please!

How much time does she spend inside vs. outside? I know that activity levels can vary from dog to dog (just like with people) but would she (Holly) be happy with a daily walk outdoors and indoor play most days, with an occassional romp in the park? Or would you say she "requires" a back yard every day? I am definitely interested in getting involved in obedience and/or agility, with or without a backyard.

I know they like to be with their people but do they get lonely if no-ones home for an eight hour work day? Would you reccommend getting two siblings for someone who works so they're not alone all day?

Again, thanks for replying! I can't wait to hear more!

Yes, first time owning a Corgi and it was the best choice I could have made. I saw a picture of a Corgi in a dog book and thought this would be perfect for me. Holly's 8 years old and I got her from a breeder when she was 13 weeks old. Personality, just great. Likes people, play, run around the house etc. There also talkers, when she wants something she will tell me with a funny sounding bark. She's a indoor dog and doesn't care much for the backyard only to go and do her business. She prefers to stay inside anywhere near me. She likes to take a walk and also go for a drive, so I take her on short trips to the local markets. She does good when I leave her home alone. She takes a long nap in the middle of my bed.
    Rest in peace Princess Holly Bear...

Random note. I noticed you are from Dayton. I am origanally from Brookville, right outside of Dayton. My family is still there but I am goin to school in Michigan.

purplepupp,

Hi there and welcome to Pet Talk! As Chris said we are the only 2 on the board that I know of that own Pembroke Welsh Corgi's. I am mother to one LOUD Louie... and while he is Mama's boy and I am in total love of the breed, I researched the breed for about a year before I decided that the Corgi was the perfect breed for our family. I have NEVER regretted it. There are some very helpful websites out there, both about breed standards and several sites from other Corgi owners.

My husband and I decided on the breed for a few reasons. 1) They are a big dog in a small to medium size package. (I've always had large dogs) 2) They are happy working (i.e. Herding, Agility, Obedience... etc.) or just being a very spoiled house dog (This is Louie's job. ) Louie LOVES the tennis ball.

Lou goes outside to go potty and to bark at the neighbors and things.(Well, he barks everywhere but he feels he has a lot to say)But for the most part he is an indoor dog. Spending his days playing with all his toys and his Kitties ( He has 2 Siamese Siblings). Taking naps with Daddy on the couch.... He's pretty pampered.

Corgi's blow their coats a couple times a year... meaning THEY SHED.

I have met both quiet Corgi's and then there's LOUD Louie... he likes to bark. We are ok with that.

They are an intelligent dog, can be very stubborn, quick to learn, they are a very loving dog, however they can be VERY demanding when seeking your attention. They are quite funny... they have a great sense of humor.
    He hasn't been around too many little kids but always amazes me how well he does with them.

Feel free to e-mail breeders and ask lots of questions. If they are good breeders they will encourage you to ask.
    Hope some of that helps. Check out some of the links on the web.

http://corgi.ncn.com/

http://www.akc.org/breeds/recbreeds/cardiga.cfm

http://www.cardigancorgis.com/

Hope all that helps a bit.

LOUD Louie & The Beans... and Katie

i have also been researching the cardigan welsh corgi for a while. they are awsome dogs, one lives on my street. she is very cute, a black and white. I am really looking into the breed right now, they seem perfect for me too .. what color do you like? I love the merles... Welcome to pettalk
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Holly is so adorable I love Corgis I plan on getting one? DO you know any breeders in the Western WA Area?
    Layka