Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ACL surgery for Murph

ACL surgery for Murph

I dropped Murph off at the vet's last night for ACL surgery on his knee today. He jumped off the bed last week and tore the ligament. The vet felt the risk of blowing out the other knee would be reduced if we went ahead with the surgery and since Murph is very energetic and healthy for his age, he should bounce back from this okay. We've got 4 weeks of crate time ahead of us though, which I know is going to be hard for him, but thank goodness he was crated trained when he was young. That length of time is going to bad enough as is, it would be an absolute nitemare if he hated the crate.

Oz was somewhat depressed that Murph didn't come home with me last night. He had to go through this last week, when Murph had the x-rays done, so I think he already knows he's gonna have to spend the day by himself and wasn't happy about it. I had a lil' talk with him and told him not worry, his lil' buddy would be okay and back in a couple of days, so hopefully he'll be alright today and I'll get to go home and check on him at lunch.

The vet's suppose to call later today and let me know that Murph's okay. That Murph, he's so funny. He just loves being at the vets. When it was time to leave him last night, he bounced over to me to say goodbye, but no long goodbyes for him. I scratched his head, he licked my hand and then bounced right back to the vet. *shaking my head*. He's the one having the surgery, yet he's ecstatically happy and poor Oz is home depressed.

Anybody else have to go through ACL surgery with their dog?

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

Oh Par, I'm sorry to hear this! But Murph sure is one trooper, isn't he! I had to laugh as I read how pre-op Murph was almost happy to be at the vet's while dear Oz was home, sad and lonely. Hopefully Oz's bestest pal will be home in no time! Please let us know as soon as you can how he's doing??? Sending positive thoughts and loving prayers for a successful surgery and swift recovery! And extra hugs for sweet Oz!!! Sandra, Cody and Star

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Any word yet, Les? I've been worrying about him since last night. Please let us know as soon as you hear from them.

I hear ya about the crate training. If I hadn't crated Chester as a pup, this would be soo much harder than it already is.

Poor Millie's having a conniption to play with her brother. She missed him so much when he was at the vet. She's relaxed and happy again now that he's home, but she wants in the crate with him. Of course, she wants a treat every five seconds for being a good girl and leaving him alone, so she may be 25 lbs by the time I get him out of the crate!

Hope all goes well with Murph and Oz isn't too depressed. I'm keeping all three of you in my thoughts.

Hey ya'll!

The vet just called me. Murph's doing great! That lil' guy, he's such a bouncer backer. Nothing keeps him down. I'm gonna start calling him, Molly Brown. The vet thinks I might be able to take Murph home tonight, so I'm going to stop at the vet's on the way home and see him. If he's lucid enough by then, I'll be able to take him home, but if not, at least I'll get to say hi to him. Oz will be soooooo happy, if I can bring him home. Well until he finds out he can't play with him for 4 weeks.

Yeh I tell ya, if for no other reason then health emergencies, people should socialize their dogs to crates.

I'll try and give lil' progress reports, as we go through all the rehab stuff.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

YAY Murph! Way to go buddy! And maybe even going home tonight? Wow, he really is resilient!

Please keep us updated, and some pics wouldn't hurt either!

Alright Murph!!!

A perfect patient, I'm sure!!

I had to laugh at the story of him bouncing back to the vet when you left him there--what a happy-go-lucky little doggie!!!

Glad to hear the surgery went well, and good luck with keeping Oz happy while Murph has to be in seclusion!!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Oz and Murph will just have to make nicies through the crate bars! What a super patient!!! I'm so glad to hear he did so well and will be coming home soon! And you're right Par; being crate trained can be a blessing for sure! Lots of loving thoughts coming your way, Murph!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Glad to hear all is well!!

I had to leave Buddy at the vet for a day, and that left Sierra home alone in her crate.... well... at least when I left home she was in her crate
    She had flipped out so bad she got herself out of her crate during the day!!!

Get well soon Murph!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Thanks ya'll! Murph is home. The vet said he was doing unbelievably well, so he let him come home. He was whining just a lil' bit, which the vet said he probably would since his pain shot would be wearing off by now. And of course him whining, has got Oz whining. Poor guy, he's laying next to Murph, outside the crate. But they've both kind of settled down for the moment and are sleeping, so maybe it won't be too bad a night for all of us.

Wow pitc9, can't believe Sierra got out of her crate. Hope Oz and Murph don't start plotting a breakout, while I'm at work tomorrow.

Here's a couple of pics of Murph:

Par...

How precious is that!!! Awww, Murph, you're one amazing little guy! I can just picture Murph consoling Oz! Hope you all have a quiet night!

Hi Par,

Sorry to hear that Murph is hurting and I hope that he will
    heal quickly & completely. Poor little guy. My RB dog Buddy had
    the ACL surgery back in 2001 & he did recover. Everyone here
    was so kind to us & really helped with moral support during that
    time. Buddy was over 100 lbs & had bad hips from birth, so it was
    very worrisome for me, but Murph should be fine with rest. Did
    your Vet give you anything for Murph's pain? Please keep us all updated on how he's doing. He's such a cutie pie.

I hope you all rest well tonight. Liz.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

What a cutie with that little cast!!!!

I hope everyone rests comfortably tonight, and behaves while their mommy is at work
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

hey tats!

He most definitely is. I just took him out to go potty. Thank goodness I went ahead and put the leash on him, even though I thought he'd be too tired to worry about it. Dang! if he didn't try to run as soon as I set him down. argh!

hi lizbud!

Yeh he's got a pain patch around his neck that stays on for the next 3 days. Plus he has some pain pills that I can't start giving him until tomorrow, due to all the pain medicine he already got today. And two different kinds of antibotics. So we're set for meds. Did you have issues keeping Buddy inactive for 4-6 weeks? I feel like that's gonna be a huge challenge for Murph.

Par...

hi lovemyshiba!

Yeh I keep thinking he's trying out for the lead in Flashdance.

Par...

Aw, Murph. You and Chester could be cell mates. Poor Chester’s already getting a bit stir crazy and wants out so the next few days should be interesting for us, but 4-6 weeks and we’d all be batty. I really feel for y’all!

Take care Murph, and let Mommy get some sleep tonight.