Thread: Short Attention Span

Short Attention Span

I swear i think my Corgi has ADD. WHen he was younger, I passed it off as thinking maybe he was just being an unattentive pup. But as time went on... I'm telling you, he needs ritalin! He failed miserably at obedience school. Did ok with 'sit' and even pulls off a good 'leave it', but that's only because i can manage to keep his mind on the task at hand for the 3 seconds it takes for him sit or whatever. I could get his attention, then I slowly see the emptiness slip in, like he's thinking about something else. Then, Oh, were you talking to me? *blink blink* I know he wants to listen, but his train keeps getting derailed. At the dog park, we'll be getting ready to go, or maybe not even that, maybei'll be calling him to me to get a plant of him or something... He'll start coming to me when I call, then within 10 steps he just start veering off to do something else, completely forgetting what he was doing. I'll see him stop a second, like he knew there was something he was supposed to do, then shake it off and keep going. I can't be the only person out there with a dog that has the attention span of a gnat! LoL Do they make doggie ritalin??
    "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
    -- Immanuel Kant

Short attention span

I know what you mean!

If there's such a thing as Ritalin for dogs, I'd like to get some, too. Scruffy is 11 years old and does the same thing a lot of the time. He can do sit for about 3 seconds, then he's up, wiggling. Forget Stay.

I blame myself for not expecting more when he was young. I might (maybe) have been able to extend his attention span.

Sorry I'm not much help.

Mary

Honestly I didnt exactly know that dogs could have short attention span, like that i mean. I am not much help either but you could try looking on the internet and ask some people.
    [size=1]Rachel & Sally

I would like to suggest you to read the book "Intelligence of Dogs" from Stanley Coren, ISBN 3 499 602466. This book is always at my bed table. www.stanleycoren.com.

Another one ist "Dogwatching" from Desmond Morris (I do not have the ISBN number).

Good luck.
    Last edited by Canis Amicus; 03-15-2004 at 12:30 PM.