Thread: Puppy Vs. Baby!

Puppy Vs. Baby!

Does anybody have any tips on how I can prepare my doxie for the arrival of our new baby in April '04?? I know they say to bring home a blankey and stuff from the hospital that the baby has used, but is there anything I can do now in the short time BEFORE the baby is born?? He is a very good dog, but he demands a lot of our attention sometimes. I have seen him play with other womens babies and he seems to do well, though he has to be in my lap or near the baby. He has never been aggressive or anything, but just very curious. I fear there may be a few jealousy issues. I try now to keep him out of my lap all the time, but I don't know if you all have any more advice on what to do??? Please! All advice is welcome!!!
    Lori Green!

Drake and Jake 2004
    Jacob 4-20-04
    Drake 1-11-03

I know that it may sound silly, but the dog really should be introduced to the sound of a baby crying (even screaming!) before it comes home from the hospital. Try it yourself, use a tape or whatever.

Also, you should try getting the dog used to you holding something and fussing over it with it possibly making noises. I recommend a doll. If the first time your dog sees and hears you holding and caring for your baby is when you are actually holding your child in your arms, be prepared for a very curious dog that is going to want to be all up in your business. You need to desensitize him to it first.

It would probably be in your best interests to not allow the dog on furniture. I don't know how this would fly, but if the dog knows the rules, then there is a smaller chance of him jumping up on the baby or into your arms when you are holding the baby. But don't institute these new rules after the baby has come home, you don't want him associating bad things (ie new rules) with the new baby. Start now.

Also, in order to combat possible jealousy issues, try not to make it appear like you are choosing your child over your dog. When you are with your child and caring for it (holding, feeding, burping, playing, etc.) and the dog is around, try to make sure that the dog isn't being left out. A treat, new toy . . . something the dog finds fun and exciting will make your dog associate good things with the baby. A dog that associates the baby with neglect, isolation, etc. is what you are really trying to avoid.

Good luck.

Those tips sound like a great start!

The Humane Society in my town holds evening training lectures, and one I've seen offered is about this issue. Perhaps you could check with your local Humane Society to see if they offer a similar class. Here's their description:

Dogs and Babies: Play It Safe!
    Learn real-life tips like preparing your dog for your new baby’s arrival and safe ways to manage dogs and toddlers in this must-see class for new parents! Find out about real-life tips for helping your dog and baby live in harmony. Help your “old baby” remain a treasured member of the family! Classes are just $10 per person, including snacks and materials - all proceeds benefit the animals and programs of the San Diego Humane Society and SPCA.
    Oreo and Molly

Hmmm... those were all things I never thought of! I especially liked that about trying to keep him off the furniture. That will be hard, but we have a little time to try and train him on that now!! Thank You!!!

I never even thought once to contact the humane society! I really hope they offer something like that here! I will call and ask Asap! Also it's wonderful that the money benefits other animals!

You are all so full of good advice!!!
    Lori Green!

Drake and Jake 2004
    Jacob 4-20-04
    Drake 1-11-03

The Humane Society has a great article about introducing a dog to a new baby. You can read it HERE

There are quite a few things you can do to prepare. Getting them used to sounds, smells and sights of a new infant.

Welcome to Pet talk - it is a great site and I hope you will stick around and let us know how things are going!

Great Article!! It really helped A LOT!!!! Thank you!!!
    Lori Green!

Drake and Jake 2004
    Jacob 4-20-04
    Drake 1-11-03

oh! And the kitty in the sink is sooooooooooooooooooooo cute!!
    Lori Green!

Drake and Jake 2004
    Jacob 4-20-04
    Drake 1-11-03

Welcome, ferky. I had to comment on your sig. Your precious puppy is so cute with the ducky!

Bailey had a ducky just like that till she ate it.

I have a book that has some things to "Prepare For Baby" here's what it says.
    - "De-spoil" your dog- move his bed out of the bedroom
    - Go to obedience classes- when pusing a baby carriage, you dont want a dog pulling on the lead.
    - Bet a good dogsitter and encourage your dog to be less dependent on you.
    - If your dog has a long coat, consider asking the groomer to talke over- perhaps some may be able to pick up your dog at home and bring him back.
    - Keep deworming and flea control treatments very regular
    - Banish bones to the garden
    - When you return home, pass baby to grandma and greet your dog.
    - Leth the dog sniff the baby and satisfy his curiosity
    - Dont show alarm when your baby cries-your distress will upset the dog
    - Always make time to show your dog you still care about him

That was from a book, some of them make you say "Duh!" But I hope they are some sort of help.
    [size=1]Rachel & Sally

Thank You Rizzy!! All very useful tips!!

Oh your kitty looks soooooooooooooo much like my husbands mothers cat!!! Same tail and yellow eyes and everything!!! I will try and figure out how to post a pic of her soon so you can see!! I thought that was really neat because I've never seen another kitty that looks like her!! They are just gorgeous!!!!
    Lori Green!

Drake and Jake 2004
    Jacob 4-20-04
    Drake 1-11-03

You have had some great advice and congratulations on your new family member to be!
    The only thing I would warn against is making the dog feel that it has equal rights to your attention with the baby - do not allow the dog to think that it is more important than the baby. When baby arrives you will realise that this is out of the question anyway - I agree with the idea of getting the dog used to the new rules as soon as possible. You need to make it clear that the dog has no right to demand attention - you give the dog attention when you want to, not when it is demanded. The baby gets attention when it cries, not the dog. Teach the dog to go to it's bed on command - give it attention, loads of fuss, when it does this right. Then take longer and longer to give that fuss - but make it good fuss! - until the dog can spend a very long time asleep on it's bed without needing attention from you. Avoid eye contact when the dog is on it's bed and do not talk to it (if you do not already talk to yourself on a regular basis start now! It will prepare the dog for you talking to the baby!!) Only introduce giving attention to a doll or a teddy when you are sure the dog understands that it will be rewarded ONLY for staying on its bed.

That is wonderful advice, but Drake sleeps in a crate downstairs at night and during the day he pretty much sleeps where ever he wants. He is already VERY good about going to bed. I have been signifigantly cutting back on letting him in my lap and petting him constantly. (I still do though, don't worry!) I noticed that now he is crying a lot if I don't let him on my lap. I just wait until he stops whining and then I pet him, on the floor. Poor Guy!! He's doing pretty good though.

Thanks for the great advice!!
    Lori Green!

Drake and Jake 2004
    Jacob 4-20-04
    Drake 1-11-03