Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: I want a kitten!!

I want a kitten!!

Does anybody know what months are the best to find kittens in? My husband and I have been searching everywhere and the youngest we can find are 6mths old.
    Lori Green!

Drake and Jake 2004
    Jacob 4-20-04
    Drake 1-11-03

You do realise after having a very tiny kitten for a few weeks, you have a cat for 19 long years !!!

I ask because if you knew anything about cats, you would know that cats are kittens until their second birthday. i.e. A six month old kitten is a little kitten.

Is there any reason for having a very young kitten ?
    Last edited by PayItForward; 02-21-2004 at 08:41 PM.

I have just read your profile, as you are expecting baby shortly and already have a dog.

I would suggest that you wait until your baby is older before you commit yourself to another pet.

How young of a kitten are you looking for? I'm just curious....I got mine when he was four months old....I was originally wanting a younger kitten as well, but, fell in love with Lock when I met him. If you are really wanting a kitten, you may want to open up a little to the older ones, just so you don't miss out on a really awesome cat. And, they act like kittens for some time! Lock is almost 8 months old and is still the same....Anyway, welcome to Pet talk....

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

George is somewhere between 9 and 15 years old and still has his kitten moments...bless him

I would like a little kitten because I do have my puppy. He LOVES cats, but I would like to get one so they can grow up together. I have always had cats and I know 6mths is still young, but my husband and I both want a little one. Also in response to the new baby, we are both well aware of the responsiblities ahead of us taking on a baby, dog, and cat and we wouldn't trade it for the world. He has agreed to help out with anything. Right now we are at his grandparents house. My pup has a dog and a cat to play with. We are moving out very soon and I don't want him to be an only pet. He hasn't been since we got him. I know he would be much better off with a little friend. Cats are fairly low maintence that's why we'd rather get one more than a dog.

Thank you so much for responding!! I really do appreciate your advice!!!
    Lori Green!

Drake and Jake 2004
    Jacob 4-20-04
    Drake 1-11-03

Originally posted by gotalonglildoggie
    Cats are fairly low maintence that's why we'd rather get one more than a dog.
    This statement alone worries me. You might not have to walk a cat (well unless you live in the USA) but a cat takes up a lot of time.

But as you have made your mind up, I will not comment further. Good luck with your family.

I have to agree with PayItForward. When you adopt a kitten, you are in for a commitment of 19 years. Are you ready for that kind of commitment???

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Cats are fairly low maintence that's why we'd rather get one more than a dog.
    Have you ever HAD a cat that was solely your responsibility? All of the fights in my house stem from not caring for the dog, but the cats! Who should scoop? When? Why? The dog - they let her out, she does her business, she comes back in... no dealing in gross litter that needs to be cleaned and changed often. That brings me to "the Great Litter Debate" which litter? How often to change it? Do you clean the box or just add more? Ugh... there are whole pages of discussions on here about the agony of litter alone!

Never would I want to tell someone to turn away from wanting a cat unless it seemed as if they were walking into the act blindly (or at least very starry-eyed) Yes, cats are independant, but that doesn't make them low-maintence. Pouncer is 9 months now (?) and goodness knows what trouble he can cause! I love that guy with my whole heart... but I have ONLY HIM to deal with - not a puppy and a baby on top of him! I mean ths kitten can get into anything and everything! He has turned this house upside down with his anctics! He's eaten my husband's students' homework... seriously, we had to give a kid an A because he chewed the cardboard to pieces! He's tormented the fish tank. But he has given us a whole abundance of love too... and will continue for another 19 years.

A whole lot of cats end up in foster care or shelters because people wanted a kitten and when the reality of home, job, baby competes for their attention and care, the others generally win out and the cat is surrendered to a shelter. I don't want to come across as a know-it-all. I hope to sound as a voice of reason. Do what you will... please don't huff and say, "but she doesn't know me!" I don't, and I am sure you are well intentioned. All of us are! We really just want to show you that picking out a kitten isn't a one-day excursion - its a lifelong commitment. Please think about it.

As Pay It Forward says, those little kittens don't stay little long. There are tons of older kitties that won't be around much longer if they don't find a home, and you don't take a chance on what their personality will be. I see a lot of ads in the paper, bulletin boards at PetSmart and the vet's office that say "Good with children" or "Good with dogs". Good luck.

Please dont get me wrong! I really don't want to sound like I am angry over your advice!! I truly and deeply appreciate it!! I am grateful that there are people who are generally concerned! That means a lot to me!! It does make me think and take things into consideration.

We have been thinking about this for over a year now. It's not a last minute decesion. We have discussed everything from litter to jealousy to attention. Both of us grew up with cats and are well aware of what comes with them. I know they can be a handful at times, but we are more than willing to take that on. My husband has agreed to change the catbox and we have a nice space we can put it in. We even know where we will put the cat and dog food. Seperate areas of course. What I mean by cats being low maintence is that compared to owning a dog they generally care for themselves. I feed and water them everyday and clean the box (completly) once a week. The only thing is I need to know the kitten will react good with the baby. That is another reason why we want a little one. We have a few connections with people who usually get little ones who are already litter trained and everything. That's what were looking for. One of the places will even spay (or neuter, but we want a female) it and give it all of it's shots for free!! And the kitten is free! We are hoping they get some in soon!

Again, Im sorry to ramble!! Please know I really am grateful to you all!!! Thank you so much for caring about my family and I! You are all WONDERFUL!!!
    Lori Green!

Drake and Jake 2004
    Jacob 4-20-04
    Drake 1-11-03

Oh and moosmom I would not consider myself to be a "STUPID AND IRRESPONSIBLE PET OWNER"!!

I find that very rude!! My pets have always been very healthy and have lived very long and pleasant lives. I have never even had an animal get fleas!! I have owned birds, cats, mice, rats, hamsters and now a dog. They have all lived to be very old. They have all been in excellent health. I don't mind listening to advice (and I do think about it), but that kind of negativity was certainly uncalled for! Especially in this case! Thanks anyways!
    Lori Green!

Drake and Jake 2004
    Jacob 4-20-04
    Drake 1-11-03

Oh and moosmom I would not consider myself to be a "STUPID AND IRRESPONSIBLE PET OWNER"!!

I find that very rude!! My pets have always been very healthy and have lived very long and pleasant lives. I have never even had an animal get fleas!! I have owned birds, cats, mice, rats, hamsters and now a dog. They have all lived to be very old. They have all been in excellent health. I don't mind listening to advice (and I do think about it), but that kind of negativity was certainly uncalled for! Especially in this case! Thanks anyways!
    Please know that she wasn't directing that specifically at you....it is part of her signature and shows up in every post. Please don't take it personally.

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

Lori, Moomsmom phrase, I AM SO TIRED OF STUPID IRRESPONSIBLE PET OWNERS, is NOT meant towards you at all.
    That is a PHRASE that she has had like forever, under her signature as she works with rescued animals and has seen a lot of ignorant people.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Moosmoms signature should not upset you. She has great suggestions and is very caring. Some people-like the neighbors-should really listen! (They have an outdoor cat that has no shots and is not neutered!!!confused: )I am sure you would be a great owner. sounds like you are a thoughtful and caring individual that would make sure your cat gets all the kitten shots and gets neutered.

Good luck in your search.