Thread: Fostering...

Fostering...

If you foster a cat, and you get really attached to it. Can you adopt it for yourself?

Yes, thats why fostering is such a difficult job.

Well, that would depend if you are fostering for an organization. If so, then they may have their own rules and rules will vary between different groups. When I fostered for the Hawaiian Humane Society back in high school there was a trial period during which you were not allowed to adopt the kitties you fostered. I think it was about 3 months or so. After that you could adopt a kitty you fostered but you had to go through the same process as everyone else.

Are you considering fostering? It is very rewarding!

There are lots of PTers who are very knowledgeable about fostering so feel free to ask any questions you may have!

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

Yeah I am. This summer, i want to foster a cat, or cats.

but I get really attached to any animal, it would be very emotional. How would you deal with it?

I have adopted cats that I have fostered. But I would believe it varies between organizations.

How do you let go?
    1) If you don't you may not be able to help the next cat in need.
    2) It is your JOB.
    3) You cry a lot. First tears of saddness and then tears of joy.

Why do I love fostering?
    1) I can help more cats than I could if I only adopted, because we all have a limit on the number of pets we can afford to have.
    2) I get to have new faces around ALL the time. So it keeps life interesting.
    3) I get to hear all the love that comes from the new parents as they raise their new kitty and know that if it weren't for me that kitty might not have even lived.

I think Jen summarized some very good points!

Some people can "handle" letting go and others may find that it is too hard. You won't know how well you can handle it until you foster. Keep in mind that fostering is not for everyone, some people are better suited to help animals in other ways. But I can tell you this, it gets easier! The first few animals that you foster are the hardest to give up! However, after a while you tend to see the big picture and realize that fostering only works (long term) if you get them into new furrever homes. Sadness is a part of fostering because it is inevitable that you will get attached!

Aly wrote a great poem that summarized her feelings about fostering...it might help you understand a little bit more about what it's like....

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/show...&postid=228731

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*