Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Geriatric Kitty Advice Needed for Grasshopper

Geriatric Kitty Advice Needed for Grasshopper

Sorry I haven't posted lately - I'm taking some much needed time to check in, wish I had a full day to see what's been going on!

I need to get information on feline aging. Grasshopper will be eighteen this year, if she makes it. I can't tell if she's sick or just getting old. I am probably suffering a serious case of denial about the fact that 17 is OLD for a cat. *sigh*

Anyway, she's lost weight and is quite thin through the hips, down to about 7 - 8 lbs (normally 10 - 11). She has very little appetite (I found she has lost several small bottom teeth) but she will eat, and hasn't been throwing it back up (she was for a while). She drinks a lot of water, but doesn't show a lot of interest in food.

I know she probably needs to see her vet, however Dadcat's (my husband) recent stay in the hospital has limited any funds for vet bills that could grow. I thought that since cats are sensitive animals she might have been reacting to the "sick" environment aroung here (we've had serious bouts of colds, flu, and bronchial infections this winter, one of which hospitalized my husband.)

What I would like to hear about are any experiences with kitty hospice (caring for aging and dying elderly pets). I accept that aging and death are a part of the life cycle and I believe the end of a life should be made comfortable and loving just as a birth. What I don't really know are how to read her comfort levels - how to tell if she should be put down.

I would hate to put a cat to sleep if she only has a cold or is just aging normally.

So if you have expereinces that you would be willing to share, I'd be grateful!

Love to all and all the furkids - I've missed you all. I'll probably be checking in every other day now that Dad's feeling better.
    Spencer's Mom

Grasshopper Shadowcat Magicat
    August 14, 1986 - June 15 2004
    Thank you so much for the siggies, PCB & Kfamr

* * I've Been Frosted * *

Sorry, no experience here, but will hold the three of you in my thoughts and prayers!
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Sounds like her thyroid is hyperactive. That happens in older kitties.

Unfortunately, I really have no help advice to give you. Enjoy her company while you can and make her life as comfortable as possible.
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

My cat Bear passed on at 20. About 1 1/2 to 2 years prior to his death he lost weight. He became very thin and completely blind. In hind sight I think he may have developed diabetes but I was not as knowlegeable at that time so as long as he got around and ate and seemed fine I left him go. He did well and when he no longer showed any interest in eating THAT is when I had him PTS. He is the only cat that lived to this age so it is the only first hand experience that I have to offer.

P.S. I am very glad that you checked in. You know that I love Grasshopper! Go with your heart. Trust me when I say, you will know when it is time.

I guess I'll be facing this soon because Speckles is 16 but showing no real signs of aging except that she sleeps more. The people that I cat-sit for have had 2 pass away from old age. Sandy became very thin because he ate more, but pooped more so he didn't absorb enough nutrition. He had two little strokes where his back end would be paralyzed but then he would be fine the next morning. Sadly, the third one did not correct itself so a decision was made. Sandy was 15.

Pumpkin was much the same. He basically just slowed down enough to the point that he asked to leave. He was 18.

If I were in your shoes, I would probably just opt for a blood test to make sure everything is in working order. Other than that, your gut will tell you when it's time to take action.
    Last edited by slick; 02-19-2004 at 10:05 AM.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I agree with Slick. A full panel blood test would at least tell you if all her organs are functioning properly. My idea from your description is kidney failure, but the symptoms are so similar for other diseases like diabetes. The vet will also be able to tell you if Grasshopper is in any pain and give you a more thorough idea of just what's going on with her. You should be able to get an office visit and blood test for under $150.00. Might seem like a lot, but then at least you'll know what's going on with her and just how much time you might have left with her.

I'm sorry to hear things with your husband have been so rough, but I'm glad to hear things are going better now. And I'm sorry that this has to come up with Grasshopper at such a difficult time for you. The last thing you need now is the stress of having to make such a tough decision.

Good luck and please let us know what you find out.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

I'm sorry that I have no advice to offer but I do wish you the best of luck. It sure sounds like you all have had a hard time lately. When it rains it poors doesn't it?
    The one thing that I really believe is that you will know when the time is right for Grasshopper to go. Hopefully that will some time from now!!

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Sounds like Kuhio's last year (she lived to be 17 years and one week). She was diagnosed with a hyperthyroid. She wanted to eat and drink a lot but almost always threw up. She was down to 6 pounds and towards the end I would grind up the cat food with water to make more of a soup. She loved lunch meat and cheese so I'd mince it up as finely as I could and her favorite thing of all was any meat baby food. We let her eat any thing she wanted because we were desperate to keep weight on her. Right up until the end she was happy and active and in no pain. Grasshopper is in our prayers.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Kohala, I have no advice, but I would try to squeeze out that vet visit if you possibly can sometime in the future, just to know what is going on. I completely understand the financial pressure you're under right now. I hope your husband is better!

My Mimi will be 15 in June. So far, so good, but I do see her changing her ways a bit, sleeping more, wanting to go outdoors, less (which is fine with me), but she does still have her feisty attitude. I think Butter has been good for her in this way, as he keeps her on her toes and alert, where if she were an only cat, I think she wouldn't have as good of an excuse to get up and hiss and let him know she is still the queen. I find her personality to be a bit more unpredictable these days, though, and we have to be careful with her around the children because she will strike out with claws and teeth when you least expect it. She has never been like that before.

Mimi has always been 6-7 pounds, so she doesn't have a whole lot of extra weight to spare. I know how you feel, though, because I want her to be with us for a long, long time to come, and it isn't unheard of for a cat to live 20+ years. I hope Grasshopper and Mimi can be among those that do!

Thank you for sharing . .

....and caring! I talked to the vet again today, and she recommended no vet visit unless she is vomiting blood. (She isn't!) I am so grateful tohave a vet that doesn't try to bring her in ($$$$) but instead considers the "need" rather than the "want". I didn't mention that she had a full blood panel just 3 months ago and there were signs of kidey deterioration, but other than that she was given an excellent bill of health.
    I appreciate the experiences you all shared with me, as I am new to the "elderly cat" reality. I have a much better understanding now, and interestingly enough, I think Grasshopper does, too! I have been feeding her by letting her lick baby food off my fingers for the past week, once she started to eat again. Tonight was the first time she bathed after dinner! I felt that was a very good sign.
    So we accept our age and our limitations, all of us, and our spirits are all starting to pick up. Tonight as I fix Dadcat dinner Grasshopper has been following me from here in the bedroom into the kitchen where I check the dinner, and back, every time I go! Alright!!!!

Thanks so much, I will get used to my skinny old but basically OK cat and enjoy her immensely until its time to say goodbye!
    Blessings to all - Ko & Grasshopper
    Spencer's Mom

Grasshopper Shadowcat Magicat
    August 14, 1986 - June 15 2004
    Thank you so much for the siggies, PCB & Kfamr

* * I've Been Frosted * *

I'm glad to hear that Grasshopper and Dadcat are both feeling better.

My cat Samantha is 15 and still healthy.
    I found that getting other pets like a parakeet and gerbils help to keep Samantha on her toes.
    She loves to watch them for entertainment.

I agree Kohala that we should love our older kitties as much as possible while they are still here with us.
    I hope all of our cats can enjoy happy lives into their 20's.
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

If she had a panel 3 months ago then it showed have showed indications.

You mentioned that it showed kidney issues. I am sorry to say that the symptoms that you described are signs of renial failure.

You may want to consider having the vet do a reduced panel and check those areas. I can't remember what they are off the top of my head.

If it is still in early stages a change of diet to a low residue food would probably help. Sorry I don't have better news, but it is a dieses that can be control to a certain extent for a long time.

Our RB flicka passed away due to renal failure and she was 21. She had a great life almost all the way to the end, so if you talk to your vet you should be able to help here live for some time.
    Bob & Joey,
    and their happy and willing slave, Bryan.

Many Thanks to Kay for the Picture.

My motto - "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"

Tubby is in the early stages of kidney failure also. Is Grasshopper throwing up a lot? You mention she's not vomiting blood, but is she just vomiting in general? Tubby was doing this also and the vet prescribed 1/4 of a Pepcid everyday. It helps calm the stomach so they don't throw up so much, and he has gained about 5 lbs back since I've been giving it to him. My vet also said that there are preliminary tests going on to see if the Pepcid helps with the renal failure, but she said at it won't hurt and it might just help because it helps the blood flow to the kidneys which can only be a good thing. She also said that whatever damage is done won't be reversed, but it will slow down the progression of the disease, probably because of the increased blood flow.

I don't know how easy Grasshopper is to pill, but if she's not that bad, you might want to consider this, especially if she's throwing up a lot.

Good luck and please keep us updated.
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012

Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
    vet prescribed 1/4 of a Pepcid everyday.
    Debbie: is that just the human Pepcid you buy at the drug store?? I know I've seen Pepcid AC and other brands. I'm thinking of trying Speckles on this because she is throwing up alot too and it's not always hair.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Yep, just the plain old people Pepcid. And yes, I guess the technical name is Pepcid AC. The only hard part about it is that they are so tiny to begin with, and then just try and cut that into 4 even tinier pieces. I've got one of those pill cutter things and it works pretty good. Hard to get 4 evenly sized pieces, but I figure the bigger ones can't hurt him and if it's too tiny, I just stuff 2 of them in instead of one bigger one.

Try it and see and let us know how it goes. Seems kitties get acidy tummies just like we do and the only difference is it makes them throw up instead of just suffering like we do.
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012