Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need your opinions and suggestions

I need your opinions and suggestions

Hi everybody! I haven't been hanging around much for the
    last few days because I have been working more for the shelter. I have been upset with their website from day 1. Their dogs are always updated but the cats haven't changed in almost a year! I have been there long enough now to feel comfortable enough to express my concern about this. It turns out that the director was not aware that the girl that takes care of the web was not taking care of the cats. This girl (I'll call her Mean) is a major dog lover and really isn't into cats at all! I was very angry because the job should be to get all animals adopted! I would never show preference in adoptions to one or the other!!! They all need good homes with lots of love. Mean and I had a few words about this and she handed the website cats over to me! I have never maintained a website before but I took on the challenge because those poor kitties deserve better. It really ticked me off that they had been neglected for so long!!
    Now the reason that I'm bugging you guys is that I've done the first twenty or so and I want to know if you experienced people
    think that I am taking a good approach. If you have time I would so appreciate it if you would glance through a few of the first cats that you see listed. It should be the first 22 I think. It's all the cats right before you get to the dogs. Any opinions and suggestions would be so welcome. I want to make people want these cats!!
    Thanks you guys for any suggestions and for taking the time to look. Here is the web address... www.shelby.petfinder.org

What a great job! They all sound so wonderful... you have very nice descriptions of each cat and a picture that really shows off their personalities.

I also fell in love with Treat! What a handsome young man - who cares about his eye infection? I hope he and his fellow inmates find loving homes!

Keep up the great work and make it so much better than the dogs! Show her what an idiot she is!

What are you going to do when all the cats are gone?
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

CCL.....

Great Job

I hope you don't mind a couple of suggestions ....

I would also add if two cats are a bonded pair, like the sisters. If you mention that they would love to go together, you might get two adoptions instead of one.

I liked the way you are positive about small problems like beautiful Treats eyes. But I would also add if these cats need any ongoing treatment or consideration. If people know specifically if a treatment is needed and what that is, they are more likely to come forward.

But these are only improvement suggestions, your write ups are very very good. I bet those shelter kitties love their new shelter mummy.

I think you've done a great job! So many shelters don't both to put anything in the description so yours go above and beyond - especially by using the extra photos allowed. Excellent!

Isn't Nipper the most handsome fellow?!! And little Rotini and Huey look like male versions of my Jazz and Scout.

Your are doing such good work - bless you!!

I'm with Richard, what are you going to do when they are all adopted?

From Decker with Love

PIF I absolutely agree with all your suggestions. When I took the first few pictures I didn't have any idea how I was going to do this. I approached with the idea of getting a head shot and body shot. You can post up to three pictures so now I think I may go back and try to get pictures of the two sets of sisters together and place that in the third slot. The only problem with this is trying to get the boogers to cooperate!! It took me three solid non-stop hours to get those pictures!! You open the cage door and they want love. They don't want to stand still and get photographed!
    As for those who are ill I will post anything I find out about long term care. Unfortunately for Treat the damage is done and he no longer needs treatment.
    Thank you very much for your suggestions.
    Catnapper thanks very much for taking the time to look and for the wonderful comment.
    Richard...I don't know how much sweeter anybody could have been!!
    Jazzcat... Wouldn't that be the most wonderful thing!! I guess there will always be replacements. They keep telling me to look out because spring brings in gazillions!

I'm so impressed!! Well done for taking this on. The pictures are so good and your descriptions are lovely.

Sometimes you also see in descriptions whether a cat might need to be an only cat, or is OK with children, dogs etc. But you possibly don't have that kind of information about these cats?

Also, I remember looking at one of your threads before and seeing and older cat that cares for a little one (sorry I don't remember their names). If there are two (or more) that get on really well, I would definitely put that in the description.

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Great job. I really like that you take multiple photos of the kitties (our shelter doesn't). The write-ups are great. Keep up the good work.
    Is it very hard to do? I've been thinking about volunteering to help out with the website for our shelter. They tell me that it is very time-consuming and that the high-school kid that does it just doesn't have the time so they are weeks behind getting new babies on there. Many times a kitty is adopted before it ever makes the website. Last year we printed out 7 kitties to checkout. None of those kitties were there anymore.

BTW, I didn't finish any blankets while I was off work. I promise to get started soon.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Killearn Kitties... Your thinking about the two sweeties called Merry and Christmas. I will really push these two together. I was trying to take take pictures of one room at a time and I didn't get their pictures yet. I so agree about the special needs but unfortunately no one really knows to much about them. It is hard to know if they will get along with dogs when they are stuck in cages and only see a dog now and then. I try to get the workers to hold still and tell me what they know but I guess they really don't have the answers to those questions either.
    Kuhio98... It is taking plenty of time right now because I'm going to redo every cat in the place. I think once I get that done that it won't be so time consuming. The website is really easy to work and the pictures are pulled straight from your computer so you don't have to load them on to the web. When someone is adopted all you have to do is put a checkmark by all the names and hit delete. I don't think general maintenance will be hard at all. Getting the pictures is what is the pain!! The older ones aren't too bad because they are used to all the hussle and bussle and generally just lay still. The younger ones are a pain because they want out and want you to hold them. Once you get the pictures I think it is fairly simple. You could always give it a try. I think once this intial hard part is done then I will enjoy it.

I haven't even gotten to look at your work yet, but I was thinking that maybe you could take a friend with you to take pictures (you're a volunteer, after all), and then you could hold the cats and have your friend take the pictures. I'd volunteer in a heartbeat if I were closer to you! You can't imagine the admiration I have for you, taking on this volunteer work in such a big way!!!!

Looks good to me!

Now send me Treat and Spot.......I did not go further because I did not want my list to get any longer. besides, I could already tell that you don't need any help

Thanks for the suggestion Logan but the one thing I'm trying to do is keep people out of the pictures. If you get the chance and look further into the website you will see several OLD pictures where the kitties were being held and when I look at that all I see are the people. Maybe that is just me but I found that distracting and I swore I wasn't going to do that. I may cave on that idea and if you were closer I would definately take you with me!!!

Jen... Thank you so much!! I was hoping you would have a chance to check it out. You deal so much with this kind of stuff that I wanted your opinion or suggestions. Your seal of approval really helped boost my confidence. Thank you very very much!

I have one suggestion. It might not work, but then again you never know. I know most people here would love to see older cats adopted first. So my thought was to put the older ones first and the kittens towards the end of the list. This way when people go on there to look for a kitten and see a BEAUTIFUL full grown cat they might want an older one. Just a thought anyways. Over all everything looks great. Keep up the good work, I also hope all of them get adopted from your hard work.

Katie

Our local Humane Society also has a weekly show on the local PBS station, and one of the news stations shows us an adopable pet every Monday (I think, or at least the same day, once a week)

As for other suggestions, it is always nice to know if the cat gets along with other cats, dogs or young children. Also state if they have any quirks or special needs. The idea about the sisters is also a good one. The more information you can give, the better the "fit".

By the way, you are doing a WONDERFUL job!! I'm glad you got this new job!! How is Miss Mean handling you doing such a good job??
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

What a wonderful job!!! If I could I'd take all of them! But Nipper, with his "Rhett Butler" mustache is just too hard to resist.

I think everyone has given you great suggestions and I don't think I could add anything constructive. But I think you're doing a wonderful job not just with the website but with your volunteering in general.

And just what is Mean's problem anyway? How can you work for a shelter and be so against finding the kitties good homes too?
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl