Thread: first bird

first bird

hey everyone!
    i grew up around many different kinds of birds and have always wanted one. the time was finally right and today i bought a parakeet.hes 3 months old. i know he'll need some time to adjust to his new surroundings but he hasnt moved all day from the spot he chose when he fist got in. also i read that parakeets poop every 12 to 15 minutes and hes been in his cage from 1pm until now- about 830pm and theres no poop.
    also i put my hand in the cage earlier to fix one of his toys and he just freaked out flying all over.
    anone have parakeets or birds? any advice? thanks!

"Welcome to where time stands still, no one leaves and no one will"

Eep, doesn't sound good. Keep an eye on him, and if he hasn't started moving/drinking tomorrow I would call a vet or the breeder/store where you gut him. It sounds like he's a bit stressed. (Which is understandable, he's had a big day!)

The skittishness doesn't really concern me because that's fairly normal, but inactivity for a long period of time like that and the lack of pooping is NOT.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

yeah it just didnt seem right to me either. thank you and i will call tomorrow if things havent changed

Congratulations on getting a new parakeet!
    Your bird sounds a lot like my parakeet T-bird was when we first got her.
    She stayed at the top of her ladder for the first day or so and looked like a little statue that never moved!
    Have you tried some spray millet, that was the first thing that T-bird liked to eat.
    We were worried that she wasn't drinking at first so we got a test tube water bottle which she preferred drinking from instead of the one that came with the cage.
    Parakeets can be shy at first and not like change or sudden movements or noises.
    Make sure you cover the cage at night, it will make the bird feel more secure.
    You also might like to whistle quietly and see if your bird responds.
    Our bird also liked to talk to the wild birds outside since it was summertime when we brought her home.
    Hopefully as your bird gets used to its new surroundings it will eat and drink more and therefore poop more.
    You might still just want to call the vet tomorrow to be sure that everything is ok.
    Good luck! I hope to see some photos soon.
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

Congrats!!!

You might like to have a look at this great site that PCB sent me when I got my birdie.

Birdie site
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

thanks for the sight it was very helpful. he hast moved around the cage much yet but he has pooped, so i feel a little better
    and i will get some pictures up after he's more settled- i dont want to scare him. plus i have to get a new camera i just got back from vacation in the caribean and i was robbed at gunpoint and lost everything it was our first 15 minutes at the first island we went to! im lost without my camera!!
    but i'll keep you posted on how he's doing thanx

Oh good, sounds like he's doing better. I can't wait to see the pictures.

Sorry to hear about what happened...how scary!!!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Sounds like he needs a little while to get adjusted to his new surroundings. Congratulations on your new friend!! I think you will be very happy and he will too! I can't tell you how much I enjoy and love my two Cockatiels.

Just this weekend, my husband and stepson made a new "gymnasium" for Milly and Roger. I forewarned Scott and Andrew that they might be to afraid of it to do much for the first few days. Good thing because they were too scared to play on it, but we put some food at the base and they have at least gotten that far. It will take some time, but I think it will be a wonderful "play" area for them very soon!!!