Thread: RIP Sweet Lucy

RIP Sweet Lucy

One of my best friend's daughters kitty was called to RB today.

Her name is Lucy and she was 16 1/2 years old. Considering that my friend's daughter is about 22 or so, she grew up with Lucy and is having a hard time with this. I guess she had thyroid problems for the last few years, and within the last year her kidneys started to fail also.

Here's a little excerpt of what my friend wrote about her.

"Txxxx will miss her dearly. And so will I. She was the only cat I know that dogs feared her. Especially our golden retvr. He was afraid of her. If I would scold Cody, Lucy would chase him and bat at him as if she were spanking him like a mother."

I know you will all wish Lucy a safe journey to RB, so I wanted to write up this little tribute to her and I will pass the link on to my friend and her daughter.

RIP Lucy, you will be dearly missed.

Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

My deepest sympathies to your best friend's daughter. Her Lucy was one beautiful cat and obviously very well loved.

May the loving memories comfort you and your friend and help you both overcome the pain.

Have a safe trip to Rainbow Bridge sweetie.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Pass our Sympathies on to Lucy's Humans...

Safe Trip to The Bridge, Lucy!

/s/ Phred
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Godspeed Lucy!

Sympathy on Lucy's passing. She looks like a lovely kitty.

She looks a lot like our Patty, whom we lost in December. Patty also had thyroid problems

What a beautiful girl Lucy was. I hope all the happy memories the family have of her will in time help your friend's daughter.
    Lucy was a loved cat and I'm sure she had a great life.

Rest in peace sweet Lucy.

Oh Debbie I'm so sorry to hear about Lucy. RIP sweet girl and please look after OJ and Casper for me.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Rest in peace, sweet Lucy! You lived a long, and well-loved life. You were a special friend to your CatMom and Sister, and you will be deeply loved, missed, and remembered forever. Rest gently in catnip fields, sweet girl.
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Please pass on my deepest sympathies to Lucy's family, I know that she will be missed.

RIP Lucy, have a safe trip to the bridge.
    Bob & Joey,
    and their happy and willing slave, Bryan.

Many Thanks to Kay for the Picture.

My motto - "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"

RIP sweet Lucy. You were so cute. *hugs*
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

we remember Lucy , as she came to the Last Patree at the Found Cats Hotel , and was a perfect Lady , and we are sad that she has passed on. Godspeed , indeed Lucy , and we know that when you arrive at the Rainbow Bridge m, new Angel will cheer up , all those she meets. Lovely Lucy Angel of the Day.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Unhappy Lucy Goose

A short, biography of Lucy (aka Lucy-Goose, aka Luce, aka Goose, aka Sweetheart) by her owner, relative, and best friend:

Lucy was my kitty. I grew up with her, remembering very little of what it was like before she joined our family. I was actually closer to her than I was to any of my family. She was a Xmas gift to me, my mom and my bro, from my uncle who was working at the local humane society. She was about 6 months old, so I set her birthday date as July 15, 1987. That first xmas she explored the garbage bag containing the crumpled wrapping paper from our now-opened xmas presents. She was too good at being cute. And she was a lot like me. We both enjoyed the outdoors, and both were shy with new people. We both prefered to find some quiet, comfy spot away everyone else to do our own thing. (My thing was reading, hers was sleeping, and if she had had her choice, it would be sleeping on the book I was reading.) But Lucy had a voice. She let you know when she wanted to go outside, when you should share your food, and what was on her mind. This is how she got her name. She had a voice like Lucille Ball meets Lucy (from Peanuts). At about 5 yrs of age, she developed problems with her eyes. Lucy, who just had to be unique, developed a type of auto-immune eye disorder that is common in other animals...german shepherds. So she was started out on a treatment regime consisting of a topical eye ointment and a follow up treat or two, which lasted about a decade. After a while, no matter how much ointment was used, her eyes would get no better and no worse. She obviously could see just fine: she never bumped into anything and was always able to chase the invisible fairies when she thought know one was watching. She came with me when I and my boyfriend moved from 2 and a half hours away to go to SP for school. She more than tolerated my boyfriend (now husband), she adored him. Lucy knew he had a perfect lap, excellent scratching techniques, and shared whatever he was eating (whether it was chicken, sardines, cream corn, or corn on the cob). That, and she knew he was more vulnerable to her begging techniques than I was. Lucy also was fairly tolerant of our numerous other critters (cats and ferrets), as long as they didn't bug her. She enjoyed watching our various mice and birds and pretty much claimed the living room as her domain. About a year ago, she started having urinary problems. However, the urinary tract infection was only a symptom of a larger problem...thyroid cancer. She had gone from approximately 13 lbs to 7lbs. There were 3 options: surgery (which a 15 yr old probably wouldn't survive the anesthesia alone), daily medication, or just let it be. The medication turned out to cost only $10/month and she experienced none of the possible negative side effects. Besides, Lucy now had another source of regular treats. Other than occaisional hairballs (solved by more treats) Lucy was brought up to a healthy, old-fart weight of 10lbs on a canned-food only diet (due to too many missing teeth). A year after her diagnosis, and it wasn't the cancer that had got to her. After turning her nose up at even her favorites (tuna, milk, and sardines) and losing a lot of weight rather quickly, I took her to the vet on Monday, February 16. This time there was something obstructing the tube that travels from the right kidney to her bladder, causing the kidney to be about the size of one of those small, clementine oranges. I knew enough about animal physiology from my school studies and from working at the animal shelter to understand what that meant. Thinking back, even Motor, our 1 year-old female cat had actually been nice (instead of a brat) to Lucy for the past few weeks...she probably knew. If she had been young and healthy, an ultrasound and surgery and lots of money could have unblocked the tube, but that option wasn't possible for Lucy. I couldn't do it there, by myself, at the vet's office. Also, I knew the longer I waited, the harder it would be (as if it wasn't hard enough). So I brought her home, called my husband, called my boss at the shelter, and we all met up at the shelter. My boss injected the euthanasia fluid, and I held her as she passed. 2 days later, as I'm writing this at the school's computer lab, I'm carefully hiding my escaping tears in the act of blowing my nose, rubbing an eye. I progress through my daily life like zombie. No matter how many critters we still have, the apartment feels as empty as my heart. Our family, furred and feathered, scaled and skinned, is missing the head of it's household, Lucy.
    Last edited by tonnerrebird; 02-18-2004 at 06:38 PM.

Oh T, what a beautiful tribute to Lucy! I remember meeting her and all she wanted to do was come up on my lap. I do remember her eye problems too now that you mention it, but like you said, it didn't seem to bother her in the least. She sounds like she was the perfect friend as you were growing up. I'm so glad she was there for you and you for her.

I don't know what else to say except that the pain will lessen as time goes on, but she and all your good memories will always be in your heart. {{{hugs}}} to you.

PS - I sure hope you can stick around at Pet Talk. We'd love to hear more about Lucy and all your other critters.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

WELCOME, T

And Thanks for sharing Lucy's Life with us!

So sorry it is such a sad time for you.

You and your Family have our sympathies!

/s/ Phred
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy