Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emily - fat or something wrong?

Emily - fat or something wrong?

Emily has been getting a bigger and bigger belly over the past months and we have been teasing her...but I have also been starting to worry something is wrong! They may laugh at me but I am taking her to the vet tomorrow. She is my first girl kitty and the plumpness started soon after her spay last August. But now it seems more like a blob than fat like Dylan is fat...and more like a round and loose mass and it feels like jello only I can feel the edges of it Here are a few pictures. I am wondering if it could be worms?? Or something wrong with her intestines?? She does cut the cheese alot and it is so bad she can clear out the room! If something really IS wrong, I am going to feel awful. If she is just *plush*, I guess I will just take the chuckles and come home relieved.

This does not look like a regular plush belly does it???

Geez-I feel like a neurotic mommy worried like this!

edit Feb 17th, 3:15:
    We are back from the vet It did not cost anything, doctor put her on a diet (Hill's W/D) and even sent us home with a big free bag. She was 5 pounds in August and 10 pounds today. So, her "mass" is pure flub I am SO relieved! Nobody laughed at me, either - at least not while I was there. Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by sirrahbed; 02-17-2004 at 02:10 PM.

I think it looks normal. Kitties do get that saggy belly (don't tell anybody, but Tubby has it too), espcially after they are neutered.

However, I'm glad you're taking her to the vet just to be sure. Nothing wrong with a little peace of mind.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Looks like normal female kitty flub to me, but it's best to be safe. Taking her to the vet is the right thing to do. They may just proclaim her officially "plush" and she'll be in good company here in PT.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Here you see Edwina's "bag." She read once that some domestic cats develop this as a result of their wild genes. If you look at lions and tigers they have this pouch as well. It is where they store food as they may not eat for long periods of time.

Edwina wears hers proudly as a link to her heritage....

Don't feel like your over reacting. It's better to see the doc and be sure. I think she is ok and you can laugh about it later. Pervy is the same way. You just can't tell it because of all her hair. I can feel her pouch and it worried me too. Maggie Sue is the same way and they have the same mother. Stubby (who also has the same mom) is the only female of my group that doesn't have it. I think she is just the exception to the rule!!
    Keep us posted on Ms. Emily.

You're a good cat meowmie to have her checked!

Thanks PT folks! I feel a little better - especially seeing the picture of Edwina - it looks just the same. Thanks for posting that Sara!! I will still feel better taking her in. My vet is great - have been going him to so many years and he has seen us through cancer with RB Bert and renal failure with RB Ernie, etc. I just did not know girls were so different this way! My boys, except for lean Eliot have been...not *plush* but FAT and it is different than this bag thing I mean, Dylan waddles when he goes down the hall!! He grunts when he jumps up or down off the bed. THAT I am used to!! (I do it myself )Hopefully, the staff can chuckle at me tomorrow - I don't mind.

Don't feel bad, I took Chuck in for a "well child checkup" and mentioned to his vet a growth on his belly that I was really worried about. It took us a minute or so to find it because he is so furry. When we found the spot, his vet started just cracking up. He said, "That's not a growth, it's his nipple!" I was so embarrased! The vet still teases me about that one.

Allen has the same thing! It sways back and forth when he walks! Is he the only boy cat with that???

Is he the only boy cat with that???
    No, Eddie has it too. But, as he doesn't have short legs like Edwina, it is less noticeable.

Originally posted by catnapper
    No, as I mentioned, Tubby has it. His has actually gotten a little smaller in the past few years - guess he's finally using up some of those reserves. And it's so funny when he runs, it flops back and forth and looks hilarious....to us anyway, probably looks quite humiliating to Tubby.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Chuck's belly "bag" fur skims the floor. It's wierd because it's just like extra skin not actually a fat roll. I don't know where it goes when he lays on his back. It's magic!

Both of my boys have "the bag" too. It feels like just loose skin and it does sway from side to side when they run or move fast (which they don't do often!)

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    I hope that Emily passes her checkup with flying colors. Better safe than sorry.

Halo has the same problem. We call it her "booby skirt". The doc said that her very saggy belly was perfectly fine but if we ever noticed her boobies hardening, to bring her in. Here's a photo of her at the cabin. Her boobies hit the floor when she sits. (Gravity is so cruel).
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

All three of my cats have the "fat pouch", even Bo, a male. Hanna's isn't too bad yet since she's not even two, but she has a slight one. Abby has something called a "fat tumor" on her belly - it's harder than the pouch. I had it checked out and it was benign, but better safe than sorry.

Originally posted by catnapper
    Well, Dylan does NOT exert himself and run often, but when he DOES, that belly sways back and forth like crazy!...when he lays down on his back ..like someone said...it miraculously disappears!!

Emily's stays there - compact and blubbery! We have been laughing at her so long and calling her "flubby-bubby" I sure hope it is just belly flub - I thought it was so cute until it started worrying me!!!

Thanks for the chuckles and well wishes everyone - I will tell you how it goes tomorrow - 2:45 appt.