Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where'd you get your dog?

We got Nova from a shelter!

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

We adopted Drake from the Humane Society of Hall County on October 12, 2000!

Well, here's the list:

Muskwa--My husband bought him from a breeder. He waited through three litters and almost two years before he found just the right dog.

Earle and Hoodoo are Muskwa's sons. I took Earle instead of "stud fees". Hoodoo we rescued when the home the breeder placed him in didn't work out.

Sleet was a gift from a musher friend. I don't consider her a rescue. She wasn't abused in any way by her last musher, just better suited for a more relaxed kennel. I consider her the greatest gift anyone ever gave me.

Kayleigh, Delta, Antare, Preacher, Franklin, Pacer, Goldie, Heyoka, & Raven are all from the same shelter. http://www.humanesocietyyukon.ca
    The three fosters--Chase, Founder and Chum are from the same place.

Bandit was rescued from former neighbors.

Pingo was given to me by a Quest musher who just wasn't using her enough in his yard. She was one of the original dogs in his kennel and he wanted her to go to someone he knew.

I think that's everyone....
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

We got Gigi from the breeder.
    Jen & Gigi

Thanks Kay for the set.

Rebel came from my dad, who breeds doxies.

Molly came from a friend at school who bought her from a breeder and then her dogs were really being mean to the very little girl so I talked my dad into buying her, which wasn't very hard! lol She's a wondeful little girl!

Claire came from a breeder, a very good lady and good breeder. Claire is just a sweetheart! hehe

Niki is also from a breeder but Niki's was NOT a good breeder. I didn't realize this at first but Niki is the product of a merle to merle breeding which is very bad, or at least I think it is. Thank goodness Niki's eyes are fine and she is perfectly normal. One of the puppies was totally white and I bet you it was deaf or worse. So sad...

I love dachshunds but the next one I do get, later down the road is going to come from a dachshund rescue or shelter, or who knows, I may fall in love with another doggie at the shelter!
    [CENTER]
    *Brandy*

Kia came from the Capital Area Humane Society in Lansing, MI.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Ginger came from a bad breeder, which I did not know at the time. I didn't even know what a BYB was until I came here.

Josie we got from a responsible breeder. We tried looking at different shelters for a Boxer. But we couldn't find the right dog for us. Most that we looked at either didn't get along with other dogs, or did not get along with small children.
    "Careful what you say, careful what you wish or it may just regret it!"

We found out about Sadie from a friend of Ralph's. A guy he was working with's brother had taken in a female Dalmatian from a neighbor. The neighbor didn't like the way she was acting, so he was going to shoot her...turns out she was acting pregnant. The couple that took the dal in had planned on finding her a home ( they already had a sheltie and a Jack russel), but were surprised they would be finding a home for 11 puppies. We did not keep in touch, so I am not sure if they kept momma dog or not, but it sounded at the time likethey were planning on it.

Cincy came from an add inthe newspaper for free puppies. We had been considering getting Sadie a playmate, but had not come across what felt like the right dog. My mom called on Sat. morningandsaid there was some free lab puppies down near her, so we decided to go check them out. Cincy just tugged at my heart...he belly was all swollen, but she was so rolly polly and cute. Onthe way home, we found a tick in her ear, and within two months of gettingher, she had to have surgery on each eye. She needed someone that would take care of her

We got Spot after Molly (Mugsy) called one Saturday morning and said there was a sweet Dal mix in Southern Oh, that was supposed to be PTS the day before, but had been given a one day extension. After a little himmming and hawing, we decided to speak up for him and drive the 500+ miles round trip to save him, and if he didn't fit in, get him into a rescue group or rehome him. Within 24 hours of getting him, we knew he was here to stay.

I wanted a Doxie since I was in Jr. High School. (long ago) I got Oskar from a private party nearly 9 years ago, he was 8 wks old. About a year after I got Oskar, I had the chance to rescue a year old Doxie from a bad home he was in. That is how I got my Macs. He was a year old when I got him. He and Oskar are now nearly 9. Last year I bought my Mr. T from a private party. He was 8 wks old. The trio brings me such joy and love. They are all so differant and never cease to amaze me or make me laugh. They get along so good together, they are brothers, and take care of each other as such.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tailwags, Linda, Mr. T, Macs and Oskar

Bella came from a breeder and she came to live with us as an 8 week old puppy on February 26, 2001.

Ripley came from a shelter. He had been brought in the night before as a stray and was quite a mess. I filled out the first application and so he became mine on January 16, 2003.

From a kind lady who had rescued six puppies being dumped in the middle of nowhere. Found them all homes.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

With one of my ingenious plans, I convinced my mom to take me to the Richmond SPCA to ask about volunteering as a dog walker. I knew I'd be able to see the dogs as well (which was my main plan). So we drove out there, asked about volunteering then saw the dogs. We saw Lupe, a male border collie cross who was out in the yard. We played with him and absolutely fell in love. My brother, sister and I were all convinced he was for us but my mom said she needed to talk to my dad first. So after my dad gave the green light, we went out but he was adopted by someone else.

So then, I continued to search for border collies while my mom found another breed, shelties. My mom found an ad for 8 sable male and female shelties and called the guy. He said he only had two males left and that we could see them the following week. We went out to Princeton, BC and saw the remaining 2 for sale and 1 that he had reserved. Right when we went into the house, two of them jumped up onto their playpen and one shivered and looked really fearful. Knowing shelties were already a bit 'reserved' with people, we decided on the outgoing one that was available. And that's how we ended up with Kai.

As for Kaedyn, I went to the Vancouver Animal Shelter to volunteer as a dog walker. It was my first day and right away, I saw Kaedyn. He didn't have info up yet because he was found wandering around and was in his 7 day waiting period for his owners to pick him up. I just fell in love right away and called my mom. She said we could check him out again the next day so we did and filled out the form right away. Apparently, 6 other forms were filled for him but we were chosen (yay!).

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

I GOT LITTLE BIT FROM A BREEDER

ROXEY I ADOPTED

CHEWIE A LADY GAVE TO ME
    KayKay

R.I.P. my sweet Little bit and itty bit you will be in my heart forever I love you!

"No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle"
    Winston Churchill

Responsible breeder.

twitter.
    http://twitter.com/meganxxjo

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

Wiggles- We adopted Wiggles when she was 8 weeks old, at the SPCA, she was very shy and timid!

Both Piddle and Jasper were from breeders, I wanted to adopt a boxer, but my mom has this whole issue with not trusting dogs that we didnt raise ourselves *shrug* Im going to rescue atleast 2 other dogs when I move out

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!