Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Collars

Collars

I've noticed that a lot of indoor cats don't wear collars. Pouncer is endlessly losing his collars! We have three that we rotate as we find them... usually in the oddest places!

Anyway, those of you with indoor cats - does yours always wear a collar? If not, do you worry about them escaping in the warm weather (Pouncer will surely be trying this.) I don't mind the "hassle" of putting the collar back on him daily, but he looks so much more handsome without it! Maybe he's trying to tell us that he knows he's too good looking for a collar!

Are there special collars around that he won't be able to slink out of. I know that he somehow manages to loosen the slider thing that determines how loose or tight a collar is.... in essense, he manages to make it bigger whle still wearing it. Don't ask me how the boy does it - he's too smart for his own good!

(day two - no camera)

We don't use collars because Misty almost got chocked to death on one 2 or 3 years ago. We had bought Misty a collar maybe a year before and she had worn it happily. Then, about a year later she started breathing heavy and making all kinds of stuffed up breahting noises and always breathed through her mouth. I was getting scared she had a cold or something. Then one day when I was petting her I felt her collar and it was rock hard. It wouldn't move or anything. I had to cut it off of her. It was super scary and I feel like a terrible mom every time I tell this story, I should of checked the collar more often It's my fault. But ever since I havn't been able to bring myself to try a collar again. And Misty is 10 years old and the only time she ever "escaped" she sat on the front poarch wailing her lungs out and banging on the door. When we went out her tail was HUGE. LOL. She hasn't gone out since.

We might have to use one for Sada, I hope not though. I keep praying she'll be afried of the outdoors. LOL.

Ash

ps: How are you doing with no camra? I think we need to start a support group for you.
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!

No collars here

Both of mine are microchipped and don't really like wearing collars so they run around nekkid!

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Mine don't wear collars anymore. A few years ago I had a cat named Zasper that choked on her collar. I think she may have been trying to lossen it or something, but her bottom jaw got stuck on it. It was one of those collars that was supposed to snap off, but i didn't So since then no collars for my pets.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I used to have them for all of them, but they would either get them off, or scare me to death with getting them caught on their teeth, claws or other things. I just watch all of my cats like hawks, so that NO ONE gets outdoors without my knowledge! Luckily any of them who ever have managed to get out the door, generally FREAK OUT and come screaming back to the house like, WHAT THE HECK WAS I THINKING!!!!!!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Felicia does not wear a collar; she will fight it until she gets it off.

Beau will wear one, but doesn't have it on right now.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

I thought collars on cats were dangerous in case they got hooked on something - not sure where i got the idea - so never gave it any thought until this thread Thankfully, my three have never shown any interest in the door or what lies beyond.

My 2 don't wear collars. Bob is chipped and I really should get Joey done also, if I am going to continue with no collar on her.

I have not had a bad experince with a collar, but with them being indoor I just don't do it. Although I do know that there is always the chance of them getting outside.

If they were in/out kitties they would be wearing collars.
    Last edited by CatDad; 02-08-2004 at 02:05 PM.
    Bob & Joey,
    and their happy and willing slave, Bryan.

Many Thanks to Kay for the Picture.

My motto - "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"

before car accident Buddy was with collar and it was good, because there was written our address and driver found Buddy´s home... But at the moment he isn´t wearing collar, seems he don´t wanna to go out ...

Liga(me),Carreras(gordon setter),Simba(the cat),Felix(bun),Aisha & Nila(ratties),Ellie(guinea piggy)

I worry about keeping collars on my cats when I am not home, just incase they should get themselves in a situation they can't get out of. sometimes Romeo gets in my closet, and walks along the tops on my clothes. The clothes are hanging on the pole, on hangers. cats go the craziest places. Once, Sammy got his bottom jaw stuck on his collar, probably trying to take it off. (it was a breakaway collar, that didn't breakaway!) I was home to help him at the time. now, I will only put one on them if I am taking pictures for Christmas or something, then I take them off. I am not too concerned about them sneaking out, I live on the 7th floor, and they would have to take the elevator down, if they wanted to escape!

Kim, I love my signature! Thanks!

None of indoor kitties wear collars for various reasons. But Emily and Tanner are both micro-chipped and Charlie will be chipped when he goes in for his rabies shot. Besides they have not really expressed ANY interest in being outside...

Pouncer has no interest in going outsied RIGHT NOW. We went to visit Jen for a few minutes today and when we returned home, my daughter wanted to see what would happen if she put him in the middle of the yard (I kind of figured what his reaction would be) so we put him down in the driveway and that boy RAN to the back door, stood on hind legs and scrathed the door. All the while meowing his head off. Then he ran around the house basically saying "I'm in! I'm home!"

But I have the feeling all of that will change once the weather warms up. Last summer, when he was itty bitty, he snuck out a few times. Each time was when someone was lugging stuff to the car or to the trash. Luckily, each time, he ran around to the front of the house and sat on the porch waiting for us to let him back in. I just really worry about him getting out without a collar. We definately cannot afford to get him microchipped... but even then, how many people would find a cat and then check to see if it was microchipped?

I do worry about him and getting caught on the collar. Luckily, the tear away works - too well. LOL. Seriously, now I'm worried even more! I think I'll try leaving him without a collar for a while, and if he starts trying to slip outside, the collar might have to go back on.

Funny this topic should come up just yesterday I had 3 new name tags made, and got Princess Tony and Patches all new collars. They are all indoor, but lately they have been trying to run out and catch the birds in my front lawn. Princess' collar came up missing last night, then she dragged out her old one this morning, and her old collar had been missing for 4 months!!! She must have hidden it. So all my kitties have collars and tags And about the break-a-way collars, mine work well, I tested them on Tony, he squirms alot so I grabed him and pulled on his collar a little and it came apart, so its all good for me

My Kitties Are Love!

Find out what it means to me!

Cubby doesn't wear one either. It stressed him out to much trying to put it on him so I gave up. He is afraid to go outside he knows when he goes outside it means vet visit.

collars

I tried to get them to wear collars but they both did a Houdini and escaped the collars several times. I wish I could get Calvin to wear a harness so that we could go for walks. I think he would enjoy it but I guess it would also expose him to other dangers like diseases. I know of cats that have choked to death on collars. I'm going to get them chipped but after our bad experience at the vet this week I'm reconsidering doing anything that might make them ill or stressed.
    Claudia