Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CatDad's Vet Visit(for Joey)

CatDad's Vet Visit(for Joey)

Well, I went to visit the vet. I am very healthy for a cat.

I thought it was funny, but I am usually one of the only people who think I am.

I talked to another vet about Joey's problems, and she was very nice. I also just got a good 'feeling' from her. She acted more interested in helping me with Joey then just running more test.

I gave her the rundown on what was happeing to Joey and let her look over her records from the hospital and vet visits.

To sum it all up:
    Yes, Joey could have IBD. However, when a cat starts getting sick like this and alot of other possibilites are ruled out then the natural inclination is to say IBD. She told me, and I also read this, IBD can be caused by alot of things and saying that a cat has it, does not mean that they know the cause. Which means that trying to treat it is still only a good guess.

She also said that it can be a gastrointestinal lymphosarcoma (cancer). She said that was highly unlikely in Joeys case however, as none of the other test had any indication of it. However the only way to tell would be, yes you guessed it, an endoscopy. She said she only mentioned it just to make sure that I was aware of everything that it could be.

She let me know that the cause of the IDB could also be a food sensitivity. Which would be diagnossed by switching food and then watching her.

She also said that while she doesn't recomend it, she would be willing to give Joey an anti-inflamitory, without doing the endoscopy. However, she did not recomend this as medication without some solid evidence to warrant it is never a good idea. She let me know that she understands that the cost to do an endoscopy is high and it would only tell us what may be wrong and not how to cure it. So if I really did not want or can't spend the money that is a way to go if food sensitivity is ruled out.

She basically said that while she would not be against doing on endoscopy that at this point I could go on with the different food. She said that there are also lots of other foods that she can recomend, but that most of them are not what cats like to eat. So if I can find one that Joey likes that will help prove a food sensitivity to do try those first.

She said that the chioce is mine, but what I was doing at this point is good.

She also said that if I do end up doing an endoscopy to have a colonoscopy done too. She said that it would be a little more stress on Joey. However, it is alot less then having to go through all of the prep two times and then two vet visits. She said that the reason to do both is that the endoscopy will only cover half of the GI(?) tract and if the IBD was lower then they could miss it. So, better to cover it all the first time and be sure, then to do just one and then posibly another.

I think that is about it.

We talked for about 45 minutes and I like I said I got a really good feeling from her. I may actually consider swtiching vets.

So I am comfortable with my course of action at the moment. I will continue on with the food and see how it goes. At this point it is a wait and see game. I am not good at wait and see, but I think it is best for Joey.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Thanks for all of your good thoughts and prayers. We both really apprecite them.
    Bob & Joey,
    and their happy and willing slave, Bryan.

Many Thanks to Kay for the Picture.

My motto - "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"

joey

so what will the new diet be?
    pixie

At this point I am going to conitue feeding her the Wellness brand that I have been for about a week.

I asked the doctor about the food and she said that if she does not get sick, then it most likely was a food sensitivity issue. She said that as long as we find a food that does not make her sick then we are fine. It does not have to be a special diet food unless we cannot find a good regular one that will work.
    Bob & Joey,

food

good!
    pixie

The vet you spoke with sounds excellent and I am impressed that she was willing to discuss Joey's situation at length with you. I hope the new food agrees with Joey. I know your patience will help determine what is right for her.
    Gentle pets for you, Joey girl.
    Steffi and Lovable

Oh I hope and pray for dear sweet Joey that it is from food sensitivity and that she continues to do well on the Wellness.
    The new vet Bryan, sounds like a gem and by reading what you wrote, she sounds like she really cared about Joey.
    Thanks for the update and of course you will continue to fill us in on a regular basis on how she is doing.

Give her tender headbumbies and kisses for me please.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

This new vet is a keeper in my book. Going with a better quailty food worked for us and I hope it continues to work for Joey. Wellness was a brand I consider by couldnt find it locally. That is so nice of her to take 45 mins with you. Like I said , she's a keeper
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Don't forget good old chicken and rice if Joey still gets upset!

That vet sounds great!
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

When a vet says that she doesn't want to give medication for an unknown condition, that's a keeper!

I hope it's an easily-managed food intolerance. Boy there seems to be a lot of that going around lately.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Bryan, this vet sure sounds great and I'd also consider switching to her if I was you. Hopefully Joey's new food will agree with her so she won't need to have anything else done to her. I know that the waiting game is hard but try to hang in there. Take care.

Yay! I'm so glad that you like Dr. Cullen. She's just as pleasant to work for as she is to to 'see' for vet visits.

I'm hoping all of this will clear up with just a food change. Picasso also has a sensitive tummy and the Wellness works for him.
    ~Kat

I don't know if you're up for it or not, but the raw diet helped Micah's IBD emmensely. If you're interested, let me know and I can tell you more.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

This sounds good. I would be tempted to switch vets too.
    Still keeping my fingers crossed for Joey. I hope the new food works for her.

Bryan,

This vet is a gem and sounds like a keeper!! I'm glad you had such a great feeling when you left. At least she took the time to explain everything to you, what your (Joey's) options were and what was involved.

Please keep us posted!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thank you to all, we both appreciate all the support. I have passed on all the love that I can at the moment. I will do more loving later.

I keep wondering why my current vet did not mention it. Maybe it had not occured to her yet, but I really wish that she would have taken a little more time to talk to me.

I had the same comfort level talking to this vet as I did my old one that left last year. So, I keep thinking that I will change vets, but I would like to get this episode to a conclusion or at least a rough conclusion before I do.

krazyaboutkatz - Yes the waiting game is hard. However, I really am happy to wait if it means that she will not have to go through anymore tests. That thought will give me a lot of patience. However, I always get prepared about an hour after her dinner just in case.

Kelly, I may take you up on the offer of the raw diet, but I would like to see if I can find a high quality premade food first. However, you may get questions about it from me in the future.

Last but not least I would like to thank Cheshirekatt for her recomendation. Without her, I may not have found someone that good, that close to my house. I did send her a PM thanking her, but I thought that I would do it here too.

That is about it. Stay tuned for further updates in the ongoing saga of 'As the Joey Turns'.
    Bob & Joey,