Thread: Is garlic bad for dogs?

Is garlic bad for dogs?

A thing of garlic fell out of the fridge without any of us knowing. Next thing we know Mickey is eating it. I'm kinda scared if this is bad for dogs. I don't remember reading anywhere that they are but I just want to make sure. We'll be keeping an eye on him.

If anybody could help...thanks.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

It can be

Garlic is related to Onions, and Onions have the effect of causing lysis of red blood cells creating anemia. Garlic isn't quite as toxic as Onions, but in some sensitive dogs it can cause problems.

Unless you note your dog breathing excessively fast- give it the better part of your steak tonight and don't worry.

P.S. There is a holistic type of remedy for fleas involving garlic powder. But I sure wouldn't want to give my dogs garlic on a daily basis due to possible side affects.

Thanks for your help dragondawg. That's the reason why I was so scared. I read that onions were toxic and I know the two are similar. But Mickey seems fine now. Thanks.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

Don't worry.

My ma used to give our dogs powdered garlic in their foods as a mosquito repellant, and I asked the vet if this was safe. He said on a regular basis, no. Once in a while, like spaghetti sauce or other food scraps that have it in it is fine. My Rottie loves to eat anything, and once she inhaled a whole clove of garlic, but she was fine. She weighs 100 lbs., so maybe her size had something to do with it, but I wouldn't worry.

Garlic gives gas

Garlic isn't bad for your pet but I would advise not using it. It causes baaad gas in pets. It is added to many over the counter remedies for dogs and cats. Always try to find the one without it. It may work as a dog breath freshener on some levels but it is the other end that contains the worst smell LOL!