Thread: Dentist Visits

Dentist Visits

Hi, I thought I'd ask for some opinions on dental care, do you visit the vet regular to get your cats teeth cleaned ?

The reason I'm asking is that Bonnie had to get a tooth out last summer (she seemingly caught it on something!) anyway the vet reckoned that it might be wise (not urgent) to book her in for a clean and I've also noticed that her breath has been pretty smelly the last couple of weeks !!. The reason I'm asking for you opinions is that I am so scared to send her to the vet. I lost her brother to cancer in September 03 and then I lost my rabbit in November 03 after he was booked in for a routine snip operation and he died whilst under anaestetic (apologies for spelling!) I'm probably being really stupid but I would never forgive myself if something happened to my baby girl !!

Anyway I'd welcome your opinions !!!

I understand (from this site) that how often a cat needs its teeth cleaned has to do with its genetic make up. Given that your Bonnie has the same genes as our lot, she may well need her teeth cleaned by now. We had Sam and Daisy's cleaned in 2002. At the time we were told that Jessica's were the cleanest of the lot, but when we took Jessica for her annual check up in 2003, she needed to have four teeth out. I was a bit annoyed, because if they had advised me to get them cleaned the previous year, I would have done so, and she would still have had all her teeth.

It was horrible to lose your rabbit under the anaesthetic, and particularly upsetting for you so soon after losing Jock, and I'm not surprised you're frightened to have it done. The vet can do various blood tests first to determine her state of health, albeit it costs more. If she needs her teeth cleaned though, I would still have it done, I wouldn't want her to be in pain.

How do you think you would get on cleaning her teeth regularly afterwards?

Filou needs it every 1,5 years, Tigris all 2-3. Filou had it 3 times now - we didn't notice it until he lost a tooth. It is a short anesthesy and although my heart breaks every time it never was a problem. His breath is MUCH better afterwards and we simply have to go before his gingiva begins to bleed

My human dentist says it is the same with all animals: some produce more tartar than others. And if it is not treated they can be in pain and/or lose teeth.

So I am convinced Bonnie will be fine.

There is only one thing that could be dangerous: if she has a heart condition. If you want to exclude all risks you might check that first.

Butterscotch is only one in need of dental care out of our gang. Our new vet is having me brush them to see if I can get good results so vet won't have to do it for us.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

The E's get their teeth checked annually. Edwina has had one cleaning and both may need it next year. I try not to convey my own personal phobic fear of anesthesia. (Our current vet....cat only clinic....uses an aquarium type devise that they filll with gas...supposedly less dangerous than other methods.)

I just had my too done about a week ago. They are both fine. Although Bob gave me a little scare, he was not quite himself for 2 days, he is fine now.

I can totally understand your fear. Especially after loosing her brother and then your bunny right after that to anesthetic during a normal surgery. I would be really scared too. Actually I am really scared of it, even if it is necessary

However, I am a strong believer in dental health. If there teeth are not clean there are dieses that they can contract and ones that can be aggravated.

I would also look at what CraftLady is doing and brush Bonnie's teeth, If you think that you can do it. I would talk to your vet and that may be an alternative.

If it turns out that you do need to have her teeth cleaned by the vet, then definitely get blood tests done. I think that they are essential.

Sara, does your vet have any literature on that tank. I would be really interested to learn about it.
    Bob & Joey,
    and their happy and willing slave, Bryan.

Many Thanks to Kay for the Picture.

My motto - "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"

Both of my cats Storm and Sunny have had their teeth cleaned once so far. Since Sunny is an Aby mix he'll probably need his cleaned more often because Aby's usually have poor gums. Before they had their teeth cleaned, they had bloodwork done to make sure that everything was normal. Luckily they didn't need to have any teeth extracted and were back to normal the next day. Good luck.

Originally posted by Killearn Kitties

How do you think you would get on cleaning her teeth regularly afterwards?

No wonder you're laughing, how do you reckon I'd get on, no chance !!!

I will speak to my vet about it, perhaps if he had a quick look she might not even need it done and I'm worrying over nothing !!! I keep telling myself that I was just unlucky towards the end of last year, I'm also told that putting a rabbit under is extremely difficult but I'm afraid it doesn't help my fear