Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suitable companion for my lab puppy

Suitable companion for my lab puppy

My black labrador puppy is four months old now and has made me realise how much I've missed keeping dogs. I want to get another puppy now but am not sure what kind of companion to get for her. Should I stick with another lab or are there other breeds that would be a good personality for each other. She is a bit rough when playing and quite big already so I don't want anything too small.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

hi welcome to Pet talk, it is very addictive,lol
    What breed do you like?
    you could rescue?
    If she is a little rough a larger sized dog might be better.
    i like labs, rottie's GSD's etc
    Ky and Rio
    Ky = Me, Rio, the new addition Donnie and Tia (the fuzzy ferts) = My Love My Life My All.

Thanks for the reply.

The problem is that I like most breeds and can't decide! I've tried the rescue places locally but they are unfriendly and unhelpful and very rarely get pups, which is what I'd like as I'd like to raise and train the two together.

Excuse my ignorance but what's a GSD?

German Shepard dogs..

Why not a Golden Retriever?
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Hello and at first, welcome to PT
    And your puppy is very beautiful
    Actually I don´t know, but I think very good companion for your lab pup would be another lab, or germans shepherd, golden retriever... And I think australian shepherd yould be good too

Liga(me),Carreras(gordon setter),Simba(the cat),Felix(bun),Aisha & Nila(ratties),Ellie(guinea piggy)

Another Labrador.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Welcome to Pet Talk!
    First off, I would until the puppy is at least a year old before you decide to bring another dog in. That way, your black lab would I'm guessing have some sort of training already, and you wouldn't have to work with two young puppies. Also, two young pups might bond close together, and could "push you aside".

That being said, maybe try going to the animal shelter and seeing all the wonderful dogs there. Or, you could go with another lab.

First of all - Welcome to Pet Talk. I hope you stick around for a while and get to know all of us.

While many people think having two dogs is easier than one, it is actually almost (but not quite) twice the work. I absolutely agree with GoldenRetrLuver that you should work with your first pup and get him trained before you bring another dog into your household. It is very difficult to work with two dogs at once. What happens many times is once you get a second dog, all your previous dog's bad habits become more pronounced.

That being said - if you are anything like me, you will totally fall in love with a pup at some point and adopt another anyway. I don't really think there is any particular breed you should be looking for. I have seen toy poodles and Rotties become best friends, Great Danes and Chihuahuas be best buds, and a Border Collie loving a Great Pyrenees. I have also seen two German Shepards or two labs be great buds. It all depends on the two dogs.

Your first step is to continue to visit the shelters and find a dog that you have a connection with. Then you need to get the two dogs to meet and make sure they have a connection and are able to enjoy each other's company. Nothing is worse than having two dogs not get along. It makes the household very stressful (I know this from personal experience)

Good Luck and let us know what you decide.

I totally agree with Goldenretrluver. Waiting until your current pup is a year is probably best. That way, your current pup will show you what kind of personality you'd be looking for in your second. Kai was always getting into trouble as a puppy but he's completely different now that he's grown. Dogs can change quite alot from 4 months to adults.

Now, when you do get your second one (whenever you decide is best), make sure you give special attention time with each dog and keep your lab pup's schedule consistant.

As for breed suggestions, anything would work. Find out what kind of personality your dog has and ask experienced dog people what they think..dog trainers, vets, dog crazy people (like us) . My suggestion though, try your best to rescue. It may be better with an adult as you'd know what you're getting.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

The logic is there, for waiting, but I cannot in good faith tell you to wait until the pup is older, because that would make me a hypocrite

We got Kito in August, Abbey in November, Riley in March, and Jada in September--that's 4 in just over a year!!!!!!

As far as a good companion goes, you'll have to judge that for yourself, when you see how your pup plays with others. If you think she is a bit rough, then you may not want to get a toy breed, but you never know how they will play together.
    Research some breeds that are around the same size as her--providing you have enough space for two dogs of that size--and then see what comes up!

Personally, my little labbie loves his rottie sister--they play for hours and hours!!!!!!

Your girl is beautiful!!!!!!!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

i think you are the best companion for your puppy
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Here's my 2 cents... When I moved to Tucson, I had one cat. Within a month and a half I had acquired another kitten and a dog. Soon after that, there was another cat and another dog. So while waiting is probably best, there are those of us who are just a sucker for a fuzzy face. hehe The one thing i always keep in mind is that when i get an animal it's for life. Either mine, or theirs. What bothers me is the people that get new pups or kittens, then end up getting rid of one or the other because they realise they can't handle them both. Just make sure that you know you can handle 2 pups, it can be tough! Labs are generally really personable, so if you decide to get a friend for your kid you should be ok with just about any sturdy breed. You could look into a Lab Rescue or something similar. Good luck, at any rate!
    "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
    -- Immanuel Kant

Sooo Cute!!! You should try cunsulting some one you know that knows the info on matching dogs!
    Layka

Have you gotten a buddy for your puppy yet?

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

Another lab or goldie, basiclly any dog, just when you are about to adopt... bring your dog with you to see how well they r compatibil and how they act together!
    Layka