Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Banning docking of tails......in nz....

Banning docking of tails......in nz....

This is the first time I have ever posted on the dog site, but thought this might be something worth debating.

At the moment in New Zealand they are proposing to put a bill throught parliment to ban the docking of dog's tails, they say its cruel and un-necessary, of course dog owner's are up in arm's about this, stating the reasons for it etc.

I am interested in your points of view, most dogs are done as puppies, infact to do it older is very painful,(this is what the article said), so do you have a dog with a docked tail? do you consider it cruel?

I have no opinion on this (for a change) lol, not knowing anything about it at all or owning a doggie!
    Last edited by carole; 02-01-2004 at 03:59 PM.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I wish they'd bann them here, and bann ear cropping!!

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I have nothing against tail docking/ear cropping so I guess I disagree with that new bill. How are they going to show the dogs that need their ears cropped in show if they ban ear cropping?
    Tail docking is a big one though..I do not think it's required to have a dog's tail docked in show. Dogs such as Border Collies, Aussies, and other dogs get their tails docked as pups because they can get so pumped up they can actually injure the tail.
    So, please keep us updated if anything happens.

I have not heard of ear cropping Kay-ann, why do they do that? of course we could carry it further, our lambs and cows have their tails docked, to keep them clean etc, but is that cruel as well? it was not always done, as I grew up on a farm, we never docked our cows, but now everyone seems to.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I Will follow the news and see what happens with it, actually its one of my local mps who I have met that is trying to push the bill through, be interesting to see what happens, we have many changes happening in our country, would not suprise me if this goes ahead, soon we will have no rights it seems, like I said I am not for or against it, as I am not informed enough to have an opinion, but it seems everything is subject to legislation these days.
    Furangels only lent.

I think ear cropping for the most part, is a cosmetic thing. Tail cropping on the other hand, I'm iffy about. I've heard of some breeds being known for clearing coffee tables, giving bruises and hurting their own tail. If that was the reason for the docking, I support it. If it's for a cosmetic purpose, I'm against it.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Oh on ALL animals? I thought you meat just dogs because it was in Dog General.
    Yeah, I think tail docking on sheep and cows is cruel. Why? Just to keep them clean? You don't give them baths normally anyways, right?

Carole, ear cropping is a surgically done procedure that cuts off some cardilage (sp?) of the ear to make it stand erect in stead of flopped. After surgery, the ears are taped for however long to keep the ers in place. As a result, the ears look like this:

It is normally done for show. Pit Bulls, Great danes, Dobes, Shnauzers, Boxers, and other breeds usually have it done.
    I hope I eplained it right.

Foam the ban is being proposed just for Dogs, not all animals, the point I am making is why not all animals, what is different about dogs than cows or sheep (if it is indeed cruel) I think the idea for sheep and cows is to prevent faecal matter clumping in that area, and them getting fly blown, that's what I mean about keeping clean, but still the poor things cannot swat the flys away with such a short tail.

eewh I think ear -cropping is ghastly!!!
    Furangels only lent.

I honestly don't see the point of it...what's wrong with a natural tail or natural ears?

While looking through some Doberman rescue sites, I came across plenty of Dobies with natural tails and ears...and I thought they looked gorgeous. I, personally, prefer the natural idea.

The only way I really condone any docking or cropping is if it is for a clear medical/health purpose.

Oh..haha once again I am lost.

Ear cropping is normally only done for showing dogs, but when it is done only for appearance (as Ashley said) I think it's cruel. It doesn't effect the dog's hearing though.

I wish they would ban both ear cropping and dail docking in the US. I think both are pretty much for cosmetic purpose and unnecasary. Althought docking I'm less worried about as some dogs(that are normally docked, but have been left natural) seriously hurt their tails and have to have them docked when they are older because of the injury and it is much more painful then
    Stephanie, Honey, and Pepper

Thank you for the wonderful sig kfamr!

The "show people" need to be educated enough to realise that dogs shouldn't have to go through that just because they think it looks good. If I had to do that to my dog just to show him, he wouldn't be shown. I think it's vain and I think the law should be passed in U.S. for tails and ears. If there were truly health problems, that's the only way I'd consider it.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

im neutral about the subject. i personally like the look of...

cropped
    dobie
    pit bull
    argentine dogo
    great dane
    boxer

docked
    cocker spaniel
    rottie
    boxer
    dobie
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

Add Glitter to your Photos

~Kari~

I like the all natural, especially my Pitties.

Much, Much cuter with floppy ears and a wagging tail!

I HATE cropped ears. It's completely unnecesary.

Docking of tails atleast has a tiny bit of reasoning.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

There are some legitimate reasons for tail docking, I guess especially on some sporting/hunting breeds, but if it isn't going to serve a specific function I would rather see a natural tail.

Ear cropping I totally don't like or agree with. The UKC does not crop their dogs' ears even for the show ring. I know it used to be done in some fighting dogs to help prevent an ear getting bitten or torn, easier for a dog to grab ahold of a floppy ear and very painful as a lot of nerves in the ears. I much prefer natural ears. I think some people get used to seeing the prick ears and like them better. Just as if I suddenly saw a purebred German shepherd with floppy ears I probably wouldn't prefer it over pricked ears, but a GSD ears are natural and that is the key. It isn't natural, there's no reason other than cosmetics, unless a dog is going to be fighting... and if that's going to be happening that's a whole other much more serious issue.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge