Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ACL surgery for Murph

Oh, I'll be praying the food works, cause this surgery is no FUN for anyone!

Chester's doing GREAT! He's currently barking at me to get out of the crate. He's gotten really impatient and sick of the crate, but I just don't know if I should let him out or not. The vet said no jumping until the stitches come out, but he's been jumping some. Hmmm... May let him out later. I wish he'd just settle down until Thursday!

Physical therapy doesn't sound too fun, but only 3 mins at a time, so that should go quickly. I'm sure he'll tolerate it a lot better with you anyway. They usually do.

Tell Chester, 2 days'll go by real fast. I can only hope that Murph is going to be this good for the next few weeks.

I really shouldn't look at petfinder, since I know I couldn't even consider another dog, until Murph's all healed. But look at this cutie I found today (Collie/Great Dane mix):

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?act...=1&row=0&tmpl=

Les...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

Par,

Sorry I missed this thread on Murph.

What a brave boy ............... those pics were gorgous,and now the change of dog food and a cone head ......

Hope everything goes well and that stone "melts" away .....

My darling Captain would NOT GO POTTY attached to the lead until he was almost 3

So walking him was a pleasure ............ . Not anymore tho, he realised he is a boy, and trees have his "name" on them ....
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

Originally posted by ParNone

I really shouldn't look at petfinder, since I know I couldn't even consider another dog, until Murph's all healed. But look at this cutie I found today (Collie/Great Dane mix):

Les...

I'll bet Morgan would give Oz a run for his money. Such a
    cute & interesting mix of breeds.

Hope Murph is feeling better & that the new food helps dissolve
    the stone.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Par,

I was just wondering how Murph is doing. Hope he's feeling
    better each day. That crate time's gotta be hard once Murph
    "thinks" he should be playing.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Hi lizbud!

Murpher is doing great actually. I can't believe how wonderful he's being about the crate. Plus, I've been working some crazy hours on top of it. Him and Oz have been absolute angels this week. Hummmm better *knock wood* or I'll come home to mass destruction.

He seems to be progressing pretty good. He gets to start taking a short walk down the street next week. Once he gets a taste of a lil' freedom again, he may think differently about that crate.

Thanks for asking about him!

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

That's great news, Par! Can't wait to hear how he does on his first walk!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Hi everyone, I'm new here! You all seem to be a kind lot! I'm a dog walker & pet sitter, I absolutely adore animals. I'm replying to this one because I walk a golden retriever who's 11 now, she's had both her cruciate ligaments go and she's fine now, it was only about 3 weeks before she was up and about again so hope your little one goes on well. They say a smaller dog heals quicker with that sort of thing because they don't have so much weight to carry, thats what the vet told me anyway. I shall be visiting your site again soon, it' the best one I have visited so far. Keep up the good work and advice. Pat. By the way my user name is made up from the names of my two favourite dogs Daisy ( now gone to the Rainbow Bridge ) and Kate and the P is for Pat me.
    Animals always give you unconditional love!

Par,

Great news about Murph. So glad to hear he's doing so well.

daisykatep,

Welcome to Pet Talk. If you love animals & enjoy talking
    about them then you're in the right place. Of course, pictures
    are also welcome.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Any updates on Murph? I hope he's doing good! Let us know whenever you can.

hi Pat!

Welcome to pettalk! Murph is now just past the 3 week mark, so he's starting to do just a bit of walking. He's not allowed off leash until after 6 weeks time though. Love to see pics of your two dogs, so hope you'll post some.

Hey ya Micki!

Work is just crazy, so very limited on pettalk time right now. Gotta work tomorrow, but the day was so beautiful (a sunny 75 degrees) that Oz and I got out of the house and out and about. Poor Murph too soon for him to get to go, but we brought him back a nice big bone to knaw on. So he's happy happy!

He seems to be doing really well. Starting to put more weight on the leg, with less shaking and we're taking short lil' walks. We've got a vet appointment this coming Saturday, so hopefully the vet'll say things are going good. Murph and Oz keep trying to play with each other through the crate, which I end up stopping. Don't think racing around inside the crate was what the vet had in mind, when he prescribed crate rest for 6 weeks. So hopefully the two haven't caused any damage with that activity.

I saw this really cute lil' girl on petfinder this morning:

She sounded so wonderful that Oz and I stopped by Petco to see her. Couldn't find her though and when I asked one of the adopters, they didn't know anything about her. I figure that's destiny stepping in that she's not the one for us or that it's still too soon to think about another dog.

Anyway that's what we've been upto today. How's things with your gang?

Par...

Hi Par,

Good to hear that Murph is doing so well. I used to think
    that smaller dogs recovered easier than larger dogs from this
    type of surgery, but know realize that's not really the case. A
    smaller dog (smaller bones) would take as much care & time
    to recover as a heavier dog (bigger bones).

I'm so glad he's being a good boy during his re-coop period.

p.s. Louise is a real doll baby. I enjoyed her lovely write up.
    It's very well done & shows her sweet nature.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

hi lizbud,

Yeh that Louise, sounded just about perfect. I'm thinking about emailing and asking about her, but I really should wait until Murph is completely healed to even consider a third dog again. I just can't seem to resist the pull of petfinder.

Par...

Originally posted by ParNone
    I just can't seem to resist the pull of petfinder.

Par...

Oh , I do know what you mean there.

Part of me thinks I'll see that one dog out there who will have
    that certain look & personality and I'll be a goner again....
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Latest Update on Murph

Took Murph to the vet this morning for a check up on his knee and the bladder stone. The food, to help reduce the bladder stone, really didn't work, since Murph kept throwing it up and I had to take him off it. But when the vet did the ultrasound, he noticed that it looked like it was embedded in the bladder wall, which reduced Murph's risk of it causing a problem and would also be hard for the vet to find to remove during surgery anyway. So no surgery for now, thank zeus, just have to keep an eye on Murph and make sure he doesn't show any urination issues and then the vet'll check it again in 6 mos.

As for his knee, the vet said it looked and felt great to him and Murph's walking pretty good on it now, so we've got the okay to start increasing his activity level. Bad news is though, his other back leg is making all kinds of cracking and creeking noises. It's taken quite a bit of stress and strain while the other leg has been healing. The vet said it felt okay, but I've got to watch that leg for signs that he's hurt that knee too. So I dunno, I hope we're not going to have to go through this again for the other leg in a few months.

The vet was commenting again on happy Murph is to be at the vet's. I told him the next time I bring Oz in, Murph's coming too, as his morale coach.

Of course, the vet didn't see Murph growl at a poor scared doggie in the waiting room. He was twice the size of Murph, but since he looked so frightened, I guess Murph decided he could kick his butt. I promptly picked him up and put in my lap though, which put an end to his macho posturing. That's one habit, I don't want him teaching mister Oz.

Par...