Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What A Scare!!

What A Scare!!

Andrew got home early today and since it was a gorgeous day outside, we decided to take Drake to the nature park. We always let Drake run off leash when we are at the park on the trails. There is no traffic for over 10 miles and Drake listens very well to us when we are out in the woods.

Half way into our walk, Drake spotted two deer and took off after them. He has done this before and always is in our sight. Today was different. He took off into dense woods and we couldn't see him. Andrew was sure he would come back. We waited and waited and 20 minutes later I started panicing!

Andrew and I split up in the woods and called his name over and over and over. Nothing. Drake wouldn't come. We combed acres and walked the trails for over 2 hours. I was frantic and crying hystarically. I told Andrew that we should go to the car. It was getting dark. Andrew was going to get a flash light and I was going to drive around on the roads and look for him. We got to the parking lot and guess who was sitting by the truck!! A very muddy and worried looking Drake!! I started bawling immediatly when I saw him. A million and one terrible thoughts had come to my mind while we were desperately searching for him!

He is no home safe and I am so thankful for that.

Oh Drake! I'm glad you're home safe too. You shouldn't scare your parents like that!!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Oh Souraya!!! How frightening!!! And to think you finally found him (or he found you!) just before dark! Thank goodness Drake knew where to go to wait for his Mommy and Daddy Smart pupper! I'll bet you're still sighing with relief. This has happened to me with Star before, walking conservation land. She sticks right with us MOST of the time. But sometimes chasing after a critter is just too tempting for a retriever. Give Drakester a big hug for me!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

As soon as I saw this thread my eyes started to clouding up and my throat started closing. Oh heavy sigh of relief

Oh man, I would have been frantic too!

I'm so glad that he was such a good boy and went back to the car Who could ask for a better dog

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

OMG

What a scare!!!!

But what a good boy to sit and wait by the truck!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

How scary! I've cried over thoughts of Nicki in the same way! But what a smart boy to know how to find his way back to the truck and to sit waiting for you! I'm so glad to hear that all is now well.

That's two scares now within two weeks. I don't let Duke off leash hardly ever. Maybe for a pic but that's about it and then he's only a couple feet away. Glad The Drake(if you're a Seinfeld fan, you'll get that) is alright. I hope he won't try that again.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

DRAKE!!! Don't scare mommy like that!! I started crying because you're mommy was crying.

I'm so glad he is home safe Souraya. I know how scary it can be.

*HUGS*
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Re: What A Scare!!

Originally posted by DoggiesAreTheBest
    ... Drake spotted two deer and took off after them...
    NawTee Dawg, Drake!

But Good Boy for waiting by the truck!

Don't know if this is a real "problem" or not -
    but you might want to check with the "local authorities" to see
    if there are any laws about domestic dogs "chasing" wildlife such as deer.
    Allowing him to run free in a "nature park" might be a no-no. ??

He might never "catch" an alert and healthy deer;
    but a fawn or an older one might not be so lucky.
    And if the Draker isn't carrying his hunting license - !

So Very Glad you found each other!!

/s/ Phred
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Oh how frightening!! I'm so so glad Drake was waiting for you at the truck. What a smart boy to know to do that!

I love to let the pups run a bit if we are hiking out in a deep nature area with no roads. There is something that just makes my heart soar to see them exploring and running around so happily. My two can't stand for mom and dad to be out of sight so they have never gone far. I know it's the most safe to keep them always leashed, but in another way there is something wonderful about watching them naturally enjoy being out on a hike without restraint.

The collies we always let run when we were hiking in the woods and they were always good about never taking off, but I know there is always that bit of risk there. Again, I'm so glad that Drake knew to stay and wait for you there.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Humm, it´s very frightening... I´m really glad, that Draker boy now is home safe...

Liga(me),Carreras(gordon setter),Simba(the cat),Felix(bun),Aisha & Nila(ratties),Ellie(guinea piggy)

Souraya -

That must have been SO TERRIBLE! I had tears flowing while reading your story, but a smile came to my face picturing Drake sitting by the car wondering where mommy and daddy are. What a sweet boy. I am so glad he remembered where the car was.

When I was in 9th grade, I had my Lab out in the front yard with me. I thought my sister had her on the leash, but I turned around and she was gone. I started running up and down every street barefoot, screaming her name. I was hysterically crying and thinking the worst. Then my mom pulled up in her car and said Dessi had just gone to sniff the neighbor's yard and was there all along. Whew, surprised I didn't get gray hairs from that one!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Drake is confused he wasn't lost mom and dad were. He was where he was supposed to go if seperated.
    Glad he's ok and safe.

Thank you everyone for your posts. My heart is still racing and I haven't settled down yet. I am sure Drake thinks I am nuts!! He has so much fun when he at the park off leash and I love seeing him be himself. He explores and sniffs and romps around!! He is so happy out there. He has never left our site before. Today was a very first. I am still trying to decide what is going to happen next time.

Don't know if this is a real "problem" or not -
    but you might want to check with the "local authorities" to see
    if there are any laws about domestic dogs "chasing" wildlife such as deer.
    Allowing him to run free in a "nature park" might be a no-no. ??

He might never "catch" an alert and healthy deer;
    but a fawn or an older one might not be so lucky.
    And if the Draker isn't carrying his hunting license - !
    Dogs here in Germany do not have to be leashed. Even in the city. You see dogs walking around behind or infront of their owners leashless!! All the dogs at the park walk around free without a leash. As for hunting, it is not allowed on the park grounds!