Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Labradoodle?

Labradoodle?

Does anyone have a picture of this new dog that is obviously a cross between a Lab and a Poodle. My friend said they're out of Australia and I'd love to see a picture.

Thanks,

Kathy

heres a pic of a labradoodle, but just go to google.com or any other search site for pics and info.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

Add Glitter to your Photos

~Kari~

Am I only who cant see Cocker_Luva´s photo?

I dont know which she put in, so I´m putting in one too

Liga(me),Carreras(gordon setter),Simba(the cat),Felix(bun),Aisha & Nila(ratties),Ellie(guinea piggy)

thank you for the pix!!. da.....i should know that google knows everything as i use it for everything.

I opened the file by clicking 'open as is', instead of installing it to my computer.

What a cutie pie!

thanks again,

Kathy

I don't know much about them, but my mom's best friend from highschool breeds them

I personally dont agree with them making this new breed of dog, what is the point??? I know poodles and Labs are boths dogsa who love the water... but still. I seen an add in my paper saying gsd mal X for sale bred for temp, what is the point, they arnt even int he same group catagory.... GRRR>
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

I think it's just a stupid fad pepole are goign through. they are goin gto get sick of them after awhile and find some new breeds to mix, then shelters are going to be full of them and they are going to be abandonded all over the place

I think that if they are responsible breeders (they test their dogs for genetic defects, and have health guarantees, and screen their buyers, don't false advertise as a 'new breed', ect) then breeders of mixes have every right to breed that purebred breeders do. Just my opinion. (of course I still say get your dog from the pound. )

And I think that pic is very cute! Poodles/poodle mixes are adorable, especially when they have a cute puppy cut. ^_^

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

Just another fad..

I actually haven't seen any around here so hopefully, the fad isn't as big here.

I personally don't feel there's any reason to breed dogs unless it's to keep the breed alive and to better improve the breed. That's of course, after all the necessary testing. I don't agree with breeding mixes for companion pets. Maybe after the shelters are empty but right now, no way. Just my opinion..but that euthanasia video sure gave me a new perspective to animal shelters.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Originally posted by binka_nugget
    Just another fad..

I actually haven't seen any around here so hopefully, the fad isn't as big here.

I personally don't feel there's any reason to breed dogs unless it's to keep the breed alive and to better improve the breed. That's of course, after all the necessary testing. I don't agree with breeding mixes for companion pets. Maybe after the shelters are empty but right now, no way. Just my opinion..but that euthanasia video sure gave me a new perspective to animal shelters.
    I totally agree with you

In North America the "labra doodles" and "golden doodles" you see are mostly the product of BYB's and people looking to make a buck off of a "designer" breed.

However in Australia they are breeding these mixes with a goal in mind. The goal is to produce a sturdy non-shedding guide dog. They are using genetically tested parents and are breeding towards a standard. This I don't mind so much as they are trying to fill a need.

That being said though, I don't think there is really any reasonfor a "new" breed that cannot be fulfilled by an already existing breed.

Originally posted by Shelteez2
    However in Australia they are breeding these mixes with a goal in mind. The goal is to produce a sturdy non-shedding guide dog. They are using genetically tested parents and are breeding towards a standard. This I don't mind so much as they are trying to fill a need.

That being said though, I don't think there is really any reasonfor a "new" breed that cannot be fulfilled by an already existing breed.
    I agree ... there is no need for this.

If they want a "sturdy non-shedding guide dog", why not just use a standard poodle? Standard poodles are great dogs - smart, clean, highly trainable. There is no need to alter that breed to suit that purpose, IMO. Labs are huge shedders. Crossing a poodle with a lab will give you dog that sheds less than a lab ... but certainly more than a purebred poodle.

We have at least one breed to suit every conceivable purpose like it is.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Because Standard poodles aren't always that sturdy. Plus while they are smart and can learn the things they need to, retrievers just seem to do better at it.
    And yes you are right in that not all the puppies will be non-shedding, but some will and those will be the puppies used to further the breeding program.

We groom 2 golden/poodle crosses. (I actually groomed one today in fact) and both resemble giant cocker/poodle crosses, no kidding. *yuck* Anyways, both have a non-shedding, easily matted type coat.

As far as it being said that there's no need for a new breed, think about all the breeds in existence now that wouldn't be here if they only bred them for "a need". Almost all purebreds that we know today are simply a regulated mix of other existing breeds. It's just like any other generation gap, though. Every generation thinks the new one is doing something untasteful or unneccesary, it's just an ongoing cycle. Heck, even the breed of cat I have was originally started in the 70's, and, I'm sure a lot of people then and now think it was not necessary and inappropriate even, but, I'm sure glad they didn't stop breeding the Bengal, cuz I love my little kitty. I do think if they continue to develop this breed of a mix between a labrador and a poodle, they need to think of a different name, and, not a cross between lab and poodle, cuz labradoodle is just goofy. :P

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

I don't know anything about them expect that I saw a puppy in a pet store and thought it was really cute!!! I just like how the name sounds!! To me it sounds more like a drawing board for a child!! LOL!!!!
    Lori Green!

Drake and Jake 2004
    Jacob 4-20-04
    Drake 1-11-03