Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emily has such a cute little nose! ;-)

Emily has such a cute little nose! ;-)

Okay, I've admitted it before, but I am a copy cat. I like looking at everybody's close ups, and well I was bored so......I decide to take some close ups of Em. They aren't too great since I took them indoors and had to use the flash, but you can still see what cute nose she has

Awww, she does have a cute little nose!
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Cute pics

Indeed she does. That is one cute nose!

Robin

Cute nose!

Ok, maybe I'm blind ... but, does Emily not have whiskers?
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Is Emily shown? I know when we were showing my collie and the breeder was showing us how to groom him for the ring, she cut his whiskers... I didn't really care for that because I love doggy whiskers, but apparently they all did that.

I don't know how true it is as I don't remember the source but I read later if whiskers are continually cut they grow back thinner/finer and the dog loses some of their sensory acuity.

Originally posted by Twisterdog
    Cute nose!

Ok, maybe I'm blind ... but, does Emily not have whiskers?
    Nah you're not blind. I cut them off

Originally posted by K9soul
    Is Emily shown? .......... I didn't really care for that because I love doggy whiskers, but apparently they all did that.
    No she's not shown in conformation.
    I just like the look of a nice clean nose

Originally posted by K9soul
    I don't know how true it is as I don't remember the source but I read later if whiskers are continually cut they grow back thinner/finer and the dog loses some of their sensory acuity. [/B]
    Maybe that's why Em's been bumping into walls! (Just kidding)
    I'd have to think, that if that were true, there would be a whole lot of poodles with a loss of sensory acuity.

Originally posted by Shelteez2
    Nah you're not blind. I cut them off
    You are such a weirdo! Why, pray tell, did you do that?

I don't know how true it is as I don't remember the source but I read later if whiskers are continually cut they grow back thinner/finer and the dog loses some of their sensory acuity. [/B]
    It's not true at all. Some breeds have their whiskers shaved off every couple of months, for their entire lives ... and still act like normal dogs.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

You are such a weirdo! Why, pray tell, did you do that?
    Because it accentuates her nice cute nose!!! Duh! LOL

And because I was bored.........LOL

And because I was bored
    You frighten me. I hope you don't get bored at my house! LOL

You frighten me. I hope you don't get bored at my house! LOL
    Mwaahahahahahaha!!!!!

*pictures tons of terriers running around bumping into walls....* LOL

Well I never thought it was as drastic as bumping into walls. I didn't say I read they go blind

It wouldn't be something we could notice I wouldn't think, and again I said I wasn't sure of the truth of it

Either way, personally I love doggy whiskers

I got more curious about this and did some more research. I had limited time since I need to get to work soon but I did find a few things about whiskers and their function. From various sites, I found that whiskers serve a much more important function in cats, and wild canids as well. They are indeed a sensory hair, similar and compared to an antennae. I doubt in a domestic dog there would be any real noticeable difference in a dog with or without whiskers, but there IS a difference to them. I don't want to get into quoting a bunch of places and certainly I'm not arguing to cut or not to cut whiskers. My main point here is that they are a sensory organ, and I did my research out of curiosity and wanting to know accurately what their purpose is.

This is from the Singapore Science Centre (www.science.edu.sg):

Dogs also have long, stiff whiskers about the muzzle. The whiskers are also highly sensitive touch organs. A dog's whiskers may sense the wind direction and so help the dog determine the direction from which an odour is coming. These whiskers occur in clusters and serve as sensory structures - anything brushing against these whiskers stimulates the dog to close his eyes, pull away, turn his head, paw his face, or shake his head. Some exhibitors trim the whiskers of their show dogs to give the dog's head and face a smooth look. More importantly, it gives the judge a nice smooth feel in the ring. But such trimming may limit the dog's response to his environment and detracts from the natural appearance of the pet.
    There was much more extensive information on how whiskers serve cats, and wild canids.

So no, trimming the whiskers on a dog wouldn't cause bumping into walls or any other dramatic difference like that. I'm guessing that their function has probably decreased in domestic dogs through the thousands of years of domestication, when a dog does not need every sense on alert in order to fill its belly.

Re: Emily has such a cute little nose! ;-)

Originally posted by Shelteez2
    Okay, I've admitted it before, but I am a copy cat.
    Aren't we all? I love taking closeups, and KayAnn was the one that really inspired me.

Emily does have a cute nose! Thanks for sharing the pictures, and it's ok to 'copy cat'-- as long as we get to see the pictures!