Thread: Help!!! I Need Some Suggestions!!! Please!

Help!!! I Need Some Suggestions!!! Please!

Hi everyone. As some of you know, I recently had to buy a 3rd littebox for my 4 cats because one of them peed outside of the litterbox in my bedroom because it had become too dirty for them to use. Well everything was fine until tonight.

I got home a little early and thought that I'd have a nice relaxing evening with my cats. I fed them and then saw Cirrus use the new litterbox in my bedroom. Well if I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed it. There were two wet spots on the carpet from the back end of the litterbox. I cleaned it up immediately and then took the lid off of the covered litterbox. All 3 of them are covered litterboxes. He had sprayed on the back side of the litterbox and it was leaking out the back onto the carpet.

I then cleaned the other two litterboxes and the other one in my room had pee on the back end of it too. This one is against the wall so I never look behind it and I decided to and it also felt damp. I know in the past that some days I would notice pee on the back side of the litter box and it would get on the covered lid where they connnect. I never realised that it was leaking onto my carpet though.

Right now I've placed litterbox liners under the boxes in this area to help protect the carpet. Should I buy larger tubs of some kind and actually put the litterboxes inside of them? I really need as many suggestions as possible because I sure don't want my place to smell like urine. Thanks for reading this and for your suggestions in advance.

Yikes!
    I am sure people with more cat experience can help you and my idea might be vetoed, but in a pinch what about those table clothes you can buy ( think I got one a walmart for $1.50) with the plastic on top and like felt underneath? laying them underneath the boxes? That might work in a pinch but I am leaning towards the problem is behaivoral and I know that I can't help you there.
    good luck.
    Staci
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

It sounds like Cirrus just happens to have projectile pee At least he's in the litter box - One thing you might try is getting a big rubbermaid container, cutting a hole for the "door", and placing the litter box in the bin. Then any leaked urine would be in the bottom of the bin, not on your carpet. I think some cats just pee in a straight line like that. Bassett tends to pee like that sometimes too, but so far it's never leaked out. Since he's not going OUTside the box, I think it may not be a behaviour problem. But I'm no expert. I hope you find a solution, though!

Well, I was only thinking that maybe he is doing it on purpose. But if it is b/c he is a 'strong' peer, then I guess that would absolutely not be the case. I retract what I said about behaivoral issue!!!
    Like I said, I am not an expert!!!!! As Kylie is my first cat and a girl!!!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Maybe I would ask a vet only to rule out any medical problems with Cirrus...another reason might be that in a covered litter box the scent of the others will remain for a much longer time than in an open box, so he might feel as if he has to mark over all the other scents...if you have added the rubber under the litter maybe you could try to remove the top and look if he still feels uncomfortable in the box?!
    You have learned enough to see that cats are much like you and me. ( T.S. Eliot)

I use one of those...

Originally posted by shais_mom
    Yikes!
    I am sure people with more cat experience can help you and my idea might be vetoed, but in a pinch what about those table clothes you can buy ( think I got one a walmart for $1.50) with the plastic on top and like felt underneath? laying them underneath the boxes? That might work in a pinch but I am leaning towards the problem is behaivoral and I know that I can't help you there.
    good luck.
    Staci
    Good idea, I use a baby mat myself which makes rogue poopies and weewees much easier to clean! Covered litters are great, but Pixel is afraid of it!

Mum to two little humans, a very vocal 14 year old Ragdoll, and a super energetic and snuggly rescue kitten.

RIP Nibbler, joined the Bridge 12 May 2007.
    RIP Pixel, joined the Bridge 24 November 2017.

DUCT TAPE!! Duct tape fixes everything!!
    Just kidding but we had a similar problem with Sammy for awhile and I finally put duct tape around the seam where the top and bottom hook together. I didn't put it on really tight because you have to remove it to open the box, but it kept everything inside where it belonged. I would say that any type of wide tape would work for this situation because you really don't need it to hold the boxes together. I found it easier than putting a bunch of stuff under the box. Of course all this was prior to the invasion of many more kitties. Now we have huge boxes with no lids. Hope this helps and good luck!!

You got lots of good advice here, so just want to say "good luck"!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Originally posted by Nomilynn
    It sounds like Cirrus just happens to have projectile pee
    I agree and I would also get Cirrus to the vet for a check of his urinary tract. Smokey does the same thing and it seems that with Smokey he tends to do this when he is having problems with crystals/stones in his urine. Smokey ended up having such a bad problem with this that we ended up with Smokey under going surgery and made his urethera bigger (AKA Smokey became a girl) BUT that was after many, many years of having severe problems.

I think the idea about a large rubbermaid box to keep the other boxes in is a great idea. Keep us posted as to how you make out.

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

Could you put a litter box in the bath tub? Is there a room with no carpeting? I have the same problem; that's why both of my boxes are in the bathroom on a tile floor.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

We had this problem a bit with Allen... I took the lid away completely and now he doesn't do that (he's cautious to remain within the confines ot the box.) BUT, he refuses to use the one in the bathroom unless nobody's home (he's a private fella ya know) and he only uses the one in the basement because people rarely go down there (only me, the laundress )

If you simply cannot remove the lid without the threat of kitty strike, then could you try fiting some sort of foam cushion between the top and bottom? It might act like a seal to keep the pee from eaking out. You can find all sorts of silicones, foam tapes etc at the home repair store.

Good luck!

Thanks for all of the great advice everyone. I really don't think that it's a health problem because I've also caught Sunny doing it too. Storm will also do it occassionally. I don't know how they'd react to an opened box because I've never tried that before and I've always used covered litterboxes. I think I'll try leaving one opened today and see what happens.

I have cats that simply stand to pee. That is why I have covered boxes. But I notice that certain styles of covered boxes do not prevent leakage. you may need to try a more water tight style box. but before you do that, ask catdad, he mentioned once a way he stopped the leakage, but I simply do not remember his advice.