Thread: Arg...I think Kai ate a chicken bone.

Arg...I think Kai ate a chicken bone.

While finishing off my socials homework, I thought I heard some munching so I went to check and sure enough, it was Kai munching on something. I *think* it may have been a chicken bone because I saw some chicken meat (at least, it looked like it) and some chicken skin. There were no bones left though so I guess he bolted it all down. I will definatley be giving a call to the vet's tomorrow when they're open but for the time being, is there anything I can do?

[edit] Oh yes, this was a cooked chicken bone. [/edit]

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Keep an eye on his gums and make sure they don't turn white. Also watch him for throwing up. If his gums turn white or he starts throwing up and can't poop, he'll need to go to the Emergency Room ASAP. Just monitor him closely and go on Poop Patrol.

I'm sure he'll be fine. Soon after I got Reece, he got into the trash when I was not home and ate some chicken bones. He got really sick with throwing up and diarrhea because he has a sensitive stomach. But he didn't get a blockage or anything. (After that I bought a heavy duty trash can with a lid and keep it locked away under the sink!)
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Do you know how big of a piece it might have been?

Em once grabbed a chicken wing bone that some loser had thrown on the ground in the alley and bolted it down before I could do anything and I just kep an eye on her and she was fine.

I wold just keep a very close eye on him for the next couple days. I'm sure he will be fine.

I'm guessing it was probably a thigh or so. My dad bought churches chicken for dinner tonight so I guess some (IDIOT) left it laying around.

A little update:

Kai just puked up a small piece of bone. Other than that one vomit, he's been acting himself...I'm hoping the bone didn't do any damage inside. He pooped once last night as well. No blood or anything unusual in it. I'm not sure if he pooped today because I was at school most of the day.. I called the vet and asked a couple questions. They said it'd be best if we brought him in so he's going in tomorrow hopefully..(we still need to book the appointment). I feel so guilty for not watching him closer. Poor baby..

I hope Kai feels better real soon! Silly pup.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Don't blame yourself Ashley. I hope Kai is okay, just watch him. Good luck at the vets.

Once I took Mickey for a walk and he started chewing on this (I think, chicken) bone that was outside. I tried to get it out of his mouth but he crunched it up and probably swallowed most of it. Argh I was so mad at myself but luckily he was okay. Just keep an eye on him is all I can say.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

Keep us updated on Kai's vet appointment. And I agree, don't be hard on yourself. We can't be superhuman and ALWAYS have the pups within our sights. At least you did catch it so you knew to watch him closely and to call the vet.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

thanks for the comments, I definately needed it.

We got back from the vet's just now. He examined Kai and checked his bum. He said everything seemed fine inside and that since he's been acting himself other than that one vomit, he should be fine. Time to get some more secure garbage bins.

Glad to hear Kai checked out okay at the vet's office!