Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do people put milk jugs all over their yards?

Why do people put milk jugs all over their yards?

Why? I hear that it has something to do with keeping animals out of their yard. If this is true, I think I find an occasional dog poop in my yard much more attractive then 25 milk jugs strewn across my lawn. Can someone fill me in on this practice?

lol... this is so funny because one of my neighbors just put a bunch of sticks with empty milk jugs on them in their yard. My mom said it's some sort of remedy that 'supposedly' keeps moles away. I don't see how that heck that could possibly work, but ya never know I guess....

Or is my mother wrong? Could they be up for another reason?

Thanks for the signature & avatar kfamr

LOL, I've never heard of that Tonya. I'm with you, I'd rather have "creatures" in the yard than a bunch of milk jugs.

Of course I have Chester, so there's little chance of moles or mice.

Originally posted by micki76
    LOL, I've never heard of that Tonya. I'm with you, I'd rather have "creatures" in the yard than a bunch of milk jugs.
    You should come to my town, Micki...It's everywhere! Mainly in the yucky part of town, but occasionally, I'll even see it at a big beautiful house!

Huh......maybe they think milkjugs are pretty?

That is a very funny picture. You come up with the darnest questions Tonya.

I never thought of that, the only time I have seen milk jugs in a yard is at Christmas people use them to put lights under, except it goes on the edge of their driveway. But alll over the yard? I would hate to have to take them down, mow the yard, put them back up. Yes I think I would rather put up with the occactional mole and fertilization of the yard than milk jugs. I am so clumsy I woulld trip, fall and break a bone again. LOL.

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

LOL. That IS funny. Now, I have been guilty of having an empty milk jug (gallon sized) or two in my BACK yard...Binx likes to play with them, but the front yard? Eh, NO!

I thought I heard they were supposed to keep deer out of the garden. I've also heard it doesn't work!

We don't have empty milk jugs, but empty 2 liter or 20 oz pop bottles....they are Sadie's favorite toys!!!

Maybe they can't find enough rusty vehicles????

I have never seen that in this neck of the woods! All I can say is you sure are in a different part of the country than we are ... here, empty milk jugs would fill with water when it rained and provide breeding ground for mosquitos, lending fears of West Nile virus ...

Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
    Oh my gosh! I'm going to wet my pants from laughing! You absolutely crack me up.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
    Lol, not to be stereotypical, but it's usually the same people who have cars parked all over their lawn.

Around here, it means that the local punks have switched to something lighter. I am forever picking up empty beer bottles, soda bottles, McDonald's wrappers (there's one down the street)

One time we spent an entire Saturday picking up litter and filled a whole 55 gallon trash can and no sooner did we enter the house does a new bottle show up on our lawn Imagine if you will a very tired sunburned white female chasing down a gang banger and demanding him to return to my yard and pick up the bottle I witnessed him toss! The guy looked at me shocked and turn right around and picked it up... I think he respected me in as much as he could respect someone.

So, being that I live in the city (well, the outskirts) we do not have milk jugs on lawns as a common site... is this a rural thing?

Could it be the latest fad in lawn ornaments, replacing the ever popular pink flamingo or lawn jockey?????

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

You fill them with water, most people use plain water bottles, and it keeps the local neighborhood cats from using your lawn as a litter box. And yes, for some strange reason it works.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Originally posted by luckies4me
    You fill them with water, most people use plain water bottles, and it keeps the local neighborhood cats from using your lawn as a litter box. And yes, for some strange reason it works.
    Hmm... my neighbors have them upside down and stuck on sticks So, they couldn't be filled with water. I just don't understand, too scientific for my simple mind

Thanks for the signature & avatar kfamr