Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ali is at the Vet

Prayers and positive thoughts going out for Ali. I hope everything turns out OK.

See, PT is educational! I learned that cats can become cured of their diabetes. Here's hoping that is the case with Ali. I hope all is well with her pee pee

I hope that Ali first gives the vet her sample and then that everything is ok.!

All the best for her

Saturday update

We picked up Ali from the vet yesterday on the way home from work. She still hadn't given the vet a urine sample. She held her pee from the time she was dropped off in the morning until the time that we picked her up! They said that they weren't surprised by that though because a cat can hold it for a long time.
    Anyhow, they gave me a kit to use to get a sample from home. So we gathered Ali up and started for the house (only 2 minutes away, literally). Well, Ali couldn't hold it anymore, she peed in her carrier on the way home and I just happened to be holding her. Now it wouldn't have really been a big deal, but the carrier is not one of those hard plastic carriers, it's one of the those that looks like a duffle bag. So, needless to say, I got soaked w/ pee The good news from that is that I was able to get a little sample from the bottom of the carrier and it was enough for the vet to do their tests. After I took the sample back to the vet, they said that they wanted me to start Ali on some antibotics incase she has any type of infection, so I paid for her visit ($200.00 not as bad as I thought it was going to be) and left w/ the antibotics. They called me an hour later and said that there was only a trace of glucose in her urine, so until the fructosimine test came in we should cut her insulin back to 1/2 a unit. The doctor thinks that the trace amount of glucose was from Ali being stressed. And they started the bacterial test on the urine. The doctor said that she really doesn't think that Ali has diabetes anymore...YEAH!!

I got a call today from the doctor about the fructosimine test and it was at 340 (should be under 300). She also said that there was something growing on the bacterial test. She asked me how Ali's intake of water was today and I told her that it hasn't been as much which she thought was good. She told me to keep Ali at the 1/2 unit of insulin for now. She wants to wait until the bacterial test is complete and then go from there. She still doesn't think that Ali has diabetes anymore, but there is something else going on that is causing her sugar levels to be inconsistent. So, it' s a waiting game. She told me to call them on Wednesday and depending on the outcome of the bacterial test I may have to try to get another sample of urine from Ali.

So, we wait. I'll continue to keep you all posted on how she is doing.

Don't you just hate the waiting game?? So glad to hear that Ali might not have diabetes anymore. Thanks for keeping us updated. Prayers continue for little Ali.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I agree with Slick, I hate the waiting game.

I hope that they find out what is wrong with Ali soon. I happy to hear that the doctor thinks that she no longer has diabetes. I had no idea that a cat could get better from that.

Prayers on the way for Ali.
    Bob & Joey,
    and their happy and willing slave, Bryan.

Many Thanks to Kay for the Picture.

My motto - "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"

Poor Ali girl. It must have been very urgent.
    I think there are some good news also in the results. Hope the antibiotics clear it all up.

One little story: when we got Tigris at 12 weeks he came in the morning. During daytime we showed him the litterbox more than once but little Tigris had decided not to pee. Only after about ten hours he really had too and produced quite an ocean for such a little boy. But he did it in the box and never has done it elsewhere in all these years.

I shall keep everything crossed for Ali. The waiting game is just so dreadful!!
    JulieG

Ali seems to be doing okay, still a bit concerned for her though. I noticed this morning that she is still drinking a lot of water (her bowl downstairs was empty and she was begging for me to turn the faucet on in the tub). I got a call from the vet yesterday saying that it will cost another $98.00 for them to send the bacterial test for analysis. So, we wait for the results to come back. The doctor said that I would probably hear from her tomorrow.

Ali is in my thoughts and prayers. Please give her some scritchies for me.
    Rosemary, Hayley & Mandy

Our little angel.

"A kitten is a rosebud in the garden of the Animal Kingdom"
    -Robert Southey

I'm so sorry that you and Ali are having to go through this... waiting is definitely one of the roughest parts! It sounds like the vet is on the right track to finding out what is making Ali feel bad. Try to hang in there, and thank you for taking the time to keep us updated.... we DO care!!!!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

A little Update

Just wanted to let you all know that I still have not heard anything about the results of the bacterial test. The doctor said 3 days and the receptionist said 7-10, so I don't know exactly how much longer it will be. I just told them that I would wait to hear from them.

Ali in the mean time is doing okay. She's not lethargic or anything, so that's good, but her water intake is still a lot. She's on her antibotic and being such a good girl about taking it (it's in pill form and she's not even trying to get away when I give it to her). Although, she will run away if she sees or hears me open the bottle.

So we are still waiting. Oh, how I hate the waiting game...I'm trying so hard to be patient!

Ok I am a little confused about your vet. My vet always takes a sterile sample. ESPECIALLY if she is looking for any bacteria. A sterile sample has to be taken with a needle. Urine collected through normal urination will ALWAYS have bacteria so that would be rather useless. If the cat is at the vets for several hours without access to a litter box it certainly seems as if they should have been able to get a sterile sample.

Denyce

Originally posted by Denyce
    Ok I am a little confused about your vet. My vet always takes a sterile sample. ESPECIALLY if she is looking for any bacteria. A sterile sample has to be taken with a needle. Urine collected through normal urination will ALWAYS have bacteria so that would be rather useless. If the cat is at the vets for several hours without access to a litter box it certainly seems as if they should have been able to get a sterile sample.

Denyce
    They tried everything they could. They pushed fluids into her, they were pushing on her bladder and they offered to extract the urine w/ the needle, but I opted for them not to do that. Ali had already been at the vet all day and I didn't want for her to be in anymore stress or in anymore pain (she had been stuck w/ needles all day). Yes, the urine that was collected may have had some bacteria in it, but that is why it was sent for analysis. They will determine from the sample if Ali has any type of infection or if it was a bacteria that was collected w/ the sample. I completely have faith in the doctors there. I wouldn't be taking my precious kitties there if I didn't.

UPDATE!

I finally heard from vet to see what in the world was going on. Ali had Ecoli in her urine. I asked the vet how in the world she had that in her urine since ecoli is usually found in stool and she told me that it's highly possible that it came from her stool being left in the litter box too long or that her poo somehow got too close to her private part (to put it nicely ) So, it's a good thing that the doctor sent her home on antibotics. It should clear up w/ no problem

As far as her sugar levels, the vet wants us to get another sample of urine from her in a non-stressed environment (at home) so that they can test it for sugar.

So hopefully once we get this sample to the vet we can get some answers as to if she actually has diabetes still. Of course I will keep you all updated.