Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ali is at the Vet

Ali is at the Vet

My sweet girl was dropped off this morning. I have been concerned for her for a few days now because she has been really drinking a lot of water. That means that her diabetis is "out of control" as the Dr. put it. I just spoke w/ the doctor and she wants to do another fructosamine (spelling?) test on her and check her for a urinary tract infection. The doctor also wants to switch her insulin since it doesn't seem that Ali has been able to get really regulated on the type that she is on. We have changed the dosage several times on the type that she is on and have never gotten her regulated. I just want my baby to feel good. She is such a trooper and has been doing okay as far as her temperment is concerned, but I can tell that she isn't feeling 100%. I'll keep you all updated on how she is doing. The doctor is supposed to call me later today and let me know how the tests come out.

Ali is in my thoughts and prayers. I hope she feels better really soon.
    Rosemary, Hayley & Mandy

Our little angel.

"A kitten is a rosebud in the garden of the Animal Kingdom"
    -Robert Southey

Prayers for Ali!!! I know how the diabetes control thing is ... newly diagnosed myself! Hang in there sweet girl!!!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

I'm sorry to hear that Ali isn't feeling well. Good luck at the white coats little Aly, I hope they can make you feel better.

These are not the droids you were looking for

Oh no! Positive thoughts and prayers going out for Ali. Hope the doc gets her all squared away with her meds so she feels better soon!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Update

I just got off of the phone with the doctor at the vet. Ali is doing okay, but has yet to give them a urine sample (even after they gave her fluids). The doctor was very surprised by the results she got from the blood tests though. Ali's sugar levels were very low. I'll try to explain why that is an important thing w/o confusing you...Ali got a shot this morning of 1 unit of insulin around 7AM. They took her blood for a test about 9AM to test her sugar levels and they were around 150. For a cat that has diabetes the level should be around 300 or above. Also, the "peek" affect of the insulin shouldn't be until six hours later, so the doctor is now thinking that Ali doesn't have diabetes anymore (this is not unusual for cats...they kind of grow out of it). She thinks that the reason Ali hasn't been feeling her best is because her sugar levels have been too low so her body tries to compensate and then throws her sugar levels up really high, so she's kinda been on a roller coaster with her sugar levels. Poor baby! Everything right now hinges on her giving them a urine sample so that they can see if she is spilling any sugar in her urine...if she spills sugar she still has diabetes, if she doesn't spill any sugar then she doesn't have it. I hope I haven't totally confused everyone. The doctor used very confusing terms that mean absolutely nothing to me, but I think I got the jist of what she was saying.

So here's hoping that Ali gives them a urine sample real soon. If she doesn't give them a sample by 6PM I have to go pick her up and bring home a kit for her to use which requires her to be locked in a room by herself.

I'm also not looking forward to seeing this vet bill. They've had to pull blood from her several times and do different tests. OY!! She is very worth it though!!

Oh my! I guess I never knew cats could "outgrow" their diabetes. That's a good thing though! Hopefully this is the case and she's a completely healthy kitty again, you just didn't know it.

Come on Ali, pee for the nice vet, ok?
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Oh, what a blessing if Ali's diabetes would be "cured"! (Yes, cats are the only being that can be "cured" of their diabetes)
    Keep us updated.

Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
    Oh my! I guess I never knew cats could "outgrow" their diabetes. That's a good thing though! Hopefully this is the case and she's a completely healthy kitty again, you just didn't know it.

Come on Ali, pee for the nice vet, ok?
    I don't know if it's necessarily an "outgrowing" of diabetes, but they did say that it's not unusual for a cat to have it then in a few months not have it.

Ali also doesn't/didn't have a severe case. She was always "borderline", so that may also have something to do with it.

AWWW, poor Ali.....I sure hope you get some positive results back. Nosie kisses to Ali and hugs to you. Try not to worry too much, although that's easier said than done.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I forgot to mention that if Ali doesn't have any sugar in her urine they want to do a bacteria test on her urine (they wait 3 days to see if any bacteria grows on the sample or something like that ). If bacteria grows then she has an infection somewhere (kidneys for example) which means more tests for her.

Well, you let Ali know that my furkids and I are sending lot of positive thoughts and prayers her way.

Please keep us posted. --- Meg

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    C'mon Ali, please make pee-pee!

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

I sure hope that they'll be able to get a urine sample soon and that it doesn't contain any sugar. I also didn't know that cats could outgrow diabetes. Prayers and positive thoughts are on the way. Please keep us updated.

Best wishes to Ali. It would be great news is she were to be rid of her diabetes. I won't bother saying don't worry because you absolutely will and the next couple of days will seem like an eternity! Please let us know the outcome asap.
    JulieG