Thread: Max growling

Max growling

Max sleeps by our bed (2nd floor) and Jake sleeps downstairs by the door. That's how the dogs worked things out, not our idea.

Anyway - the other night Max woke me up with a deep-chested, low growl. He was standing at the bedroom door and the hairs on his back were raised. It was of those growls that really mean business.

So - I opened the door and let him out to get whatever (or whoever) it was he was growling at. He went out and looked around a little bit and then just went back in our room and layed down.

Jake barked a little during this time, as well.

We never heard the door open or close, and they both just calmed down on their own.

What do you think was going on? It wasn't something outside, or Max would have been at the window not the door.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

I think you have yourself a great guard dog!!!

I think he heard something, and wanted to make sure everything was okay.

Maybe Jake was moving around or made a noise downstairs and Max was responding to the noise!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I agree w/ pitc9, things of these sorts we will never know exactly whats going on but every once in a while my dogs will do that, sometimes I even look around inside & outside & I see & hear nothing, I never scold them for this as they may sense something I cant. I think its really good they are on guard like that!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Drake will do that sometimes. I wouldn't worry about it. Just let Max seek out and he will come back once he is satisfied that all is well. I know Drake sometime growls in his sleep and then wakes up in a frenzie and starts barking. I say he was having a dream where he was just barking and it carried on when he woke up

I was wondering if he was sort of walking in his sleep, growling. Maybe he heard somebody coming close to the door or something? It sure scared the heck out of me though. I love having him by my bed because he's so loyal and dedicated.

Just a theory, because I know my dogs can get eachother riled up into false alarms...Perhaps Max started off dreaming...and growled a bit in his sleep. Which triggered Jake to bark, which then caused Max to wake up growling aggressivly. Then they both realized false alarm and went back to sleep. lol.

Originally posted by Tonya
    Just a theory, because I know my dogs can get eachother riled up into false alarms...Perhaps Max started off dreaming...and growled a bit in his sleep. Which triggered Jake to bark, which then caused Max to wake up growling aggressivly. Then they both realized false alarm and went back to sleep. lol.
    hehehe that's a possibility! That's hilarious - I have this picture of it in my mind. LOL