Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Honey got paralyzed :(

aww sorry, I had an old gerbil, tippy, fall and get paralized as well, she passed on later but only because of old age(she was 6)

whoops I missed the post about honey going to RB, good-bye sweet honey you say high to tippy for me ok?
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Aww Im so sorry!! I almost cried when I read this Poor Honey! R.I.P You will always be missed and loved by everyone
    ~*~green_chameleon_girl~*~
    R.I.P Rex
    - _HeAtHer_-

Thanks MANDAMOO!!!!

I wish I could cry right now.

I'm so sorry. I can't believe this is happening after Thor. Those poor babies... keep one of them okay, please? It would break my heart to see (er... hear about) them all going.

*Sigh* I'm so glad I have my baby right now. Take comfort in the rest of yours.

I have to admit I skimmed a few posts but I just had to say I'm sorry, as soon as possible.

I am so, so sorry.

I can't believe this is happening, she, and the babies, and Thor and you don't deserve this.

I'm sorry.

R.I.P. Little Honey, you will be missed.

P.S. Will you be able to find out what's wrong/ what happned?

Bart and Wiggum:
    In the Spotlight

omg cass i am so sorry .
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

I couldn't do it. We have an appointment today for an EXAM. Either she will be coming home with us, or she won't. I just couldn't do it yet. Forgive me. It is hard for me to talk about this right now. I will update more later.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

oh no ... i am so sorry ...

still praying for a miracle for Honey..
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

Oh Cass I'm so, so sorry for you, Dylan and dear little Honey I will still be hoping and praying for a miracle. You have suffered so much loss recently Cass and my heart breaks for you. No matter what the final outcome, Honey couldn't have hoped for a more loving and devoted Mom{{{HUGS}}} Sandra

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Cass, I am just catching up on Pet Talk this morning, after weeks of being away. I am so sorry about your Honey. Please keep us posted, and know that you are in our prayers.

I know how hard it is to loose a rat...Ive had several rats in my life and losing them was really hard for me. I cried for days when my Galahad passed on *he was 5 and 1/2* He came when called and liked to crawl up my shirt sleves when I worked on the computer lol. Rats really do get to you...I guess its cause theyre so cute.
    Honey, say hi to Galahad for me...he may be a big brute but he's sweet on the inside.
    RIP at the RB....

Ok I am finally updating this as I lost my internet connection for two days and was unable to let everyone know of Honey's progress/outcome. Yesterday we took her to the vet for an exam at 4:45. I was going to update as soon as we got back but we ended up having out internet disconnected due to having to upgrade something, blah blah blah. So I just got my connection back and it's 5:26 the next day.

We took Honey to see the vets at Cat Care Limited and like always, they were great! They just adore my rats and treat them so nice. Everyone comes over and tells me how sweet they are and always say things about their coat color and how pretty it is. Honey got so many head scratchies yesterday she bruxed almost the whole time at the vet. She was such a good girl, like always.

They did an exam and found that she has some sort of spinal trauma caused by falling on her back, in the lower part of her lumbar region just above her hips. She has lost ALL bladder control as well as cannot defecate on her own anymore. She was given a shot (and was such a good girl, only gave kisses during this!) of Dexamethasone to help with the swelling. Basically just a cortisone injection. She goes back next week for another. She didn't even try to bite, just licked. Oh what a sweet girl she is!

Her prognosis is OK. They think that with a little time and limiting her movement she will heal on her own and start to walk again. She can move her back legs and can feel deap pain (when you squeeze, she is in no pain right now) which is great. If you squeeze her feet she can pull her legs underneath her, she just can't walk.

So I am now her caretaker full time pretty much. I need to empty her bladder a few times a day as she cannot pee on her own. If I leave it full it will eventually leak out, but that's a good way to cause infection, so I have to squeeze her and empty it. She doesn't particuarly like being squeezed but she takes everything in stride and is happy when it's done. I also have to press and squeeze on her anus to get her poops to come out. They still form and make it to the exit, I just have to help them out all the way. She can get around good by dragging herself with her front paws too, but I have to limit her movement for awhile.

To ward off infection she has been prescribed Trimethoprim Sulfa three times a day. She of course takes her meds like a charm! I couldn't ask for a better, sweeter ratty. So hopefully one day she will be able to walk again and have her bladder control back. But until then, I must care for her. She can reach her bottle now by herself so that's good.

So please send more prayers that she can make a complete recovery! I did not want to euthanize her, and there was no reason to. I am glad I took her in for an exam before I made the decision. I feel SO much happier now that I got to keep my girl with me. I can't tell you how much I love this rat. Thanks to everyone for their support during this time, but I was NOT about to lose one of my babies again. I just couldn't take it.

Well, time to go empty a bladder.
    Last edited by luckies4me; 01-15-2004 at 07:43 PM.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Keeping Honey in my thoughts and prayers!!

~*~Thanks Liana For The AWESOME sig!~*~

Tweety_Pie

~*~Kelsey~*~

Cass, you just don't know how happy that has made me! To know that you are working so hard on keeping that sweet little Honey alive. You are just the best. I just feel so proud of you!

I just can't stop smiling about Honey, she does sound like such a little trooper! I have been thinking about you today. You are so passionate about your loved ones! I am just like a proud old grandmother. You work wonders, you should be a vet yourself!

I just don't see how you do everything you do. You take care of all your rattie babies, hamsters, and the rest of the crew plus being such a good mother to Dylan. You are indeed a miracle worker. I wish I had your get up and go, and that pizzaz you have for life!

I will be sure to keep Honey in my prayers and sweet Cass too.

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

Awww, thanks so much! I love my babies and would do anything for them.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

You obviously are a devoted pet mom, Cass. I'm glad that you have found a way to keep Honey for a while longer. I hope everything will go smoothly with her.

Keep us posted.

Logan

I can't say it any better than Willie has! You're one fabulous fur and skin mom, Cass! I was thrilled, just thrilled to read that Honey's on the mend! As I said before, there's always hope for a miracle and Honey is definitely a miracle rattie! Prayers continue for her continued recovery. What a brave little rattie girl she is; a real fighter. just like her Mom! Gentle hugs and kisses to you Honey! Sandra

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~