Thread: Oh How I miss it!!

Oh How I miss it!!

I used to be pretty involved with transports (was doing one once a week for a while) and I was an active volunteer at my local shelter both in GA and AL. I really miss it

We have been in Germany for 3 months now. There are no shelters on post and the shelter in Wiesbaden said they didn't need volunteers. I really think it is because I am American. I was warned about this, but didn't believe it. I know that there are way less homeless pets in Germany than there are in America. But come on!! I asked the director of the German shelter about their adoptions and he said they only adopted them if they were sick or dying!! Can you belive that crap?! I think that answer was tailored just for me because of my nationality.

None of the breeder here or shelters will sell or adopt to Americans. This sucks. I am so mad about it.

I really miss rescue work. I am starting to think this place sucks just because of this!!

That's dumb. If they cared for the animals they wouldn't care about the nationatlity of the individual, just that they were "a good home". I'm sorry, I wish I could do something

I'm so sorry Souraya. I'm sorry to hear that they are being so awful to you because you're an American. How much longer are you there?

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

That's awful!!! Seems such a waste to turn away willing help or a good home because of nationality.

In one of our therapy dog classes, there was a German woman and her Am Staff. She rescued him from the streets in Germany, I believe adopting him from a homeless person. He was the sweetest dog and is now a registered Therapy Dog.

That's so sad to hear that your nationality would make a difference

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Molly, I will be here for 3 more years!! I am going crazy at the thought of not being able to volunteer for 3 years!!

The guy at the shelter was so rude. You would have thought I walked in there with a gun saying I was going to shot the dogs. He wouldn't even let me see the pups!!

I really haven't seen a single stray dog in 3 months. I am sure there are some out there somewhere. The Germans do take great care of their dogs. I am sure they have encountered some bad American, but why generalize!!

How rude! Was that the only shelter nearby? Perhaps there are breed specific rescue groups that you could help out with. How awful for them to generalize and turn away good help.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

How Rude!

Try asking anther person. He may have a problem with foreigners. We have been helping transport for a short time, but I can understand your longing. I love doing transports. I like helping pets on their way to new homes where they will be loved and pampered.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

OK. I am not generalizing, but I don't think most of the Germans in our town like Americans. I really don't give a rat's *** if they do or don't, but I have seen it with my own eyes. When we were apartment hunting, we went to look at this apartment (a lady that worked at the hotel set it up for us). When we got there and the lady showing the house found out we were American she quickly said as she was opening the door that she has just rememberred that the house was already rented out but we could still look around!! Yea right!! Couldn't she have remembered sooner?

I am not saying all of our encounters have been bad. But we have had some bad ones and have heard about much more.