Thread: Does anyone think i should show him?

Does anyone think i should show him?

This is my cat Topaz. I think he is realy prety and was wondering if people think he might be show quality. He's never been to a show before coz my mum doesn't like going to cat shows but if he has a chane than why not? It would most likely be hard to tell if he is a quality breed. He does not like been brushed but i do brush him everynight so he doesn't get matted fur. So whatta ya think?

Hope the pic came thru i never done this b4!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lucky bunny not allways a lucky bunny.

Welcome, what breed is Topaz (I love that name) , is he a pedigree cat or do you want to show him as a house hold pet.
    Showing is a lot of work. I will give you an idea of what i have to do for a show.
    ~ Get ready the show curtains and brushes and combs.
    ~ Food and water packed
    ~ Litter box
    ~ Then clip the nail. A must!
    ~ Then Bath the cat.
    ~ When I show a cat he/she has to have a bath
    ~ Shampooing several times to be sure they are squicky clean and rinsed for at least 15 minutes to get all the shampoo out.
    ~ Drying the cat and making sure that the coat looks its best.
    ~ You do not want to show a dirty cat You want them to look their very best. With Jaxon it takes over 2 hours to groom!
    ~ After grooming you do not want to handle to much because you can transfer the oil from your hand to the coat.
    ~ Show here run from $45 to $48 per cat to show.
    ~ But once you get to the show it is alot of fun.
    ~ New friends to make, cats to look at, things to buy or not.
    ~ You don't always win so being a good looser is a great lesson to learn.
    ~ When you do win a ring, you know all your work you did was well worth it.
    ~ But the best thing is to have fun, winning is not everything.
    ~ Loving your cat because in your eyes he is the best there is.
    ~ I would go to a show and ask questions and watch first to see if it is something you really want to do.
    ~ You have to be willing to do what it takes to show a cat. Alot of work is needed. Bathing can be fun but not always.

Let me know if you have any questions. I have a show coming up the end of the month and I will be showing Jaxon, Sanuye, and "Q". Boy what a day I will have bathing the three of them, I hope the dryer holds out. I know I have enough Cat Shampoo to last

Good Luck,
    Stella
    Pic of me and Jaxon at the show getting a final ribbon

Welcome to Pet Talk Cheldog.

Looks like Stella has given you all the information about showing cats, which is just as well as far as I'm concerned because I know nothing about it! What I do know is that Topaz is absolutely gorgeous and I am looking forward to hearing more about him, and seeing lots and lots more pictures!

Chris

Hi and Welcome.

I know nothing of showing either (I think Stella will be your best expert) but just want to say I think Topaz is gorgeous!!

From Decker with Love

Welcome to Pet Talk Cheldog. Topaz is gorgeous and looks kind of like a Birman to me but I'm not an expert on cat breeds.

Another thing to keep in mind is the cats personality. Is Topaz an easy going and friendly cat and does he like large groups of people? Some day I might show my Sky because he's a very social and easy going cat. I'd hate to show a cat that was very uncomfortable and scared the whole time. Good luck in whatever your decision may be.

Krazyaboutkatz is right about being an outgoing and people friendly cat. A good way to find out if Topaz likes lots and lots of people and the noise that comes with it is.
    With him in a carrier visit the local Mall or enclosed shopping center. Get a soda or something to drink and sit and watch the world go by. I like going to the Mall where there is a children's play area and sit and watch. The children come up to see what is in the carrier making all kinds of noise and talking to the cat and the parents love talking about the cats and their cats. I have done this with kittens that are 4 months old and the older guys. You will find out if he is comfortable with lots of people or not. While there at the Mall do not take the cat out, he may bolt and you will have a frightened cat to try and catch and they can hurt you if they are frightened. Talk softly to him and see reasure him that it is ok.
    Stella

He isn't show quality ! The fault he has is that hes got white flicks on the back of his hind legs

Sorry to hear about the fault. Is he registered or not? If not you could show him in the house hold pets. Let me know. It is hard showing because of the standards that are set for each breed. If the cat has faults you would be wasting your money showing. I have 2 cats that would do great except they both have a fault. Weezie has a kink in her tail and PB is a beautiful Black Maine Coon female but has a locket, a white spot on her neck. You have a beautiful cat and no matter what any one says and any judge would do, it is what you think of Topaz and no one can judge him with the heart and love and care that you have for him.

Stella

He isn't registered for any shows or anything.

I do know of a cat and rabbit show (not a good mix if u ask me!) It is very cheep for both so i could take some rabbits along aswell!
    It's worth a try! Even if he doesn't win i will still luv him !
    Cant help but luv that face!

At a cat show you can show him in the house hold pet line up. I bet he would do great. Like any good mommy I know you will love him no matter what.

Stella

I wuv my Toppy Kitty lol!

Topaz is beautiful!

WOW what a lovely kitty, he looks like a himmy or a birman ...

Mum to two little humans, a very vocal 14 year old Ragdoll, and a super energetic and snuggly rescue kitten.

RIP Nibbler, joined the Bridge 12 May 2007.
    RIP Pixel, joined the Bridge 24 November 2017.

Welcome to Pet Talk Cheldog. Your Topaz is very beautiful. We would love to see more pictures and get to know him better.
    Steffi and Lovable