Thread: Dog Vomiting/Heaving

Dog Vomiting/Heaving

My 3-year old labrador, Leo, has been throwing up and dry heaving for the last 12 hours. We took him to the doggie emergency room last night due in part that the the day before last I had seen him licking the parking lot and thought "antifreeze". They assumed the very fact that he was walking on his own power that he was not "antifrozen". It was also way too late to the blood test for it. I am 100% sure that he has not been poisoned with anitfreeze, but w knows what else he could have picked up

They did X-rays and did not find any obstructions. They did not seem to think he was suffering from bloat or torsion. I am usually not concerned when he throws up but he is doing it fairly frequently. They IV hydrateded him and gave him anti-nausea medication, but he still dry heaved after taking it and he looks like he does not feel good.

He is fasting now. No food or water until this afternoon, but I do not think he is going to be able to hold it down. Any advice or experience with this? Thanks

Lucy Tu did this once and the Vet decided she had eaten something that didn't agree with her. He put her on pepto bismo and fasting for 24 hours. It took a while but by the next afternoon she was her usual self, just very hungry.
    I hope that is what your angel needs. Just follow the Vets instructions and keep us posted. And tell Leo that we are pulling for him.

Thanks. I just dropped him off at the vet....not the emergency clinic. They said if he is heaving after the anti-emectic then he should be looked at again.

They told me to go home and thay they would call me. That does not sound good to me

He's back from the vet and has not thrown up or heaved since this morning....knock on wood. They ran tests and said he is in perfect health. His amylase is a little high; about 1300 when normal is 300-1100. This did not indicate pancreatitis.

The doctor gave him metoclorpramide for nausea and carafate to coat his tummy. He is on the i/d food for about 3 to 5 days.

He probably just ate something that did not agree with him.

I'm sorry you and your pup had to go through this, but at least it sounds like he is getting over whatever was wrong!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Did they do any blood work at the vet clinic? If so, do you know what they checked for. Honestly, it can be anything from: Your dog ate something that didn't agree with him and gave him a belly ache, to Pancreatitis...which the first option can lead to also.
    ChattanoogaVetTech

Nevermind, I just read your last post. That Amylase isn't high enough for it to be the Pancreas. I would just say this was a scare of him eating something that slightly didn't agree with him.
    Good news that he's okay!!!
    ChattanoogaVetTech

They checked blood for evetything but the white count as he was not running a fever. This started 72 hours ago with me thnking he licked antifreeze.

He looks much better this morning. I think he is still a bit dehydarted though.