Thread: Bird cage

Bird cage

The other day I had came upon a pigeon that has a broken leg. Seeing that I live on a farm there isn't anything i can do. But for the mean time I have it up in my house, and I was wondering what is a good sized cage for a full grown pigeon that can't fly well.

Seeing that I live on a farm there isn't anything i can do.
    I'm confused. Does this mean that since you live on a farm, you are unable to take the pigeon to town the vet? I don't understand.

You can splint the birds leg with wooden matche sticks and tape. Yes, it works, and it may heal.

As for the cage, all birds need to live in the largest cage you can possibly make/buy for them. It is MUCH cheaper to make your own cage. For a pigeon, you could make it out of chicken wire and 1" x 2" boards, very simple.

Pigeons are very much like chickens in their food requirements, and they need grit as well.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

The town I live in a that doesn't have a vet. I will try to splint it. Thank you about that. I will go out and see if we have any larger cages.