Thread: Peeing. <sigh>

Peeing. <sigh>

So.

what do you do with a cat who pees?

Not just in the corner, but anywhere he sees fit?
    Anytime he's mad at you? Pees ON you when he's getting his flea meds or pilled?

But mostly, a cat who knows better and if caught will high-tail it for the litter box?

I know he likes this carpet we have in a new house, and I'll have to rip it out. But nothing seems to make a difference to him.

Is caging him my only option?
    Oh - I did cage him for 2 days once after I caught him, chased him to a corner and grabbed him. He made a point of peeing in the cage's litter box after I let him out, when he KNEW I was watching.

Christine
    Christine
    Proud & Lucky Mom of Shelby, Morgan, Bentley, Pauley, Tohsa, & Kharma, who misses Scorpio, Sunny, Winchester, Lucy, Hank, Pauley, Laddy & General

"Where there is breath, there is hope."

The first thing you need to do is get the cat to a vet to rule out a Urinary Tract Infection. Cats can't tell you when there is something wrong, so they have to SHOW you.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

That was dumb of me.

Of course he's been to the vet. It's such a given to me, I forget there are people who don't know that's a symptom.

I spend more time and money on my cats' healthcare than we do our own.

Pauley-the-Pee-er is healthy.

Christine
    Christine
    Proud & Lucky Mom of Shelby, Morgan, Bentley, Pauley, Tohsa, & Kharma, who misses Scorpio, Sunny, Winchester, Lucy, Hank, Pauley, Laddy & General

Maybe he doesn't like where the litter box is located? Orangey used to do that back when I lived with the folks. The litterbox was in the basement, but he didn't feel like making the trip. We put a box on each floor, and he stopped "going where he was at any given time"

peeing

Do you have other cats or animals? Have you tried the psychics (kidding). If he's pissed about something then hence the pissing. I'm surprised your vet didn't put him on Prozac. Or um, can't think of the other antidepressant- oh! I think it's Bustril. Ask the vet. It has a different effect on animals than humans.
    pixie

That's what I've been trying most recently.

I have 4 more litterboxes in different rooms. All the cats love it, (lazy butts!) but I'm still chasing Pauley.

I did learn that Kharma wants to go outside in the garden. Don't laugh, but a pet psychic told us she used to come and go as she pleased, before she was abandoned in our driveway last year.

So now I go outside with her when she paws at the door. Sure 'nuff, she goes and is ready to go back inside. This will be fun until it's freezing outside.

Anyway, she has stopped going on the carpeting, as far as I can catch.

I'm just going to stay on Pauley's butt until I can figure something out.

Christine
    Christine

Hi. How are you getting on with Pauley's toileting habits? A couple of questions: Have you recently moved house with him and are there any new additions to the household? I am in touch with an animal behaviourist and he has sent me a copy of his book which covers this subject. It can be quite a complicated problem and may take a lot of hard work to resolve. One thing it does state in this book, and you probably already know this, is that Pauley is displaying signs of insecurity and I suppose this can be difficult to get to the root cause.

In the first instance, he suggests that where the cat has "marked" inappropriately, transfer the remains into a new litter tray (preferably a covered one) and place the tray at where the problem has occurred. This tricks your cat into believing that it has marked into the chosen place rather than the inappropriate area. Also place large obstacles such as cardboard boxes in other favoured marking areas. The idea is to offer the cat to mark (and make a perceived territory secure) without spraying. Also a new scratching post at the most common marking site is advised. The book does go on in more detail and suggests restricting the cats area within the house, but perhaps you could try this first and see how you get on. Hopefully the problem may resolve itself.

Keep me posted and let me know if you need any more advice.
    JulieG

I've answered this post about a gudzillion times, but am not only having sattelite problems, but am now experiencing Windows corruption. I'm going to try one more time before I (lose my mind) rebuild my system.

1) yes we moved 2 years ago. We came from hard wood floors and Pauley loves the carpeting. He lies on it on his back with 4 feet in the air, peeing only around the outside edges of the room.

2) yes, we've introduced 2 new cats and lost 1.

3) he peed long before we moved and/or =/- cats.

4) I do realize he's insecure. Unfortunately, he's not a touchy cat, so it's hard for me to give him extra attention without annoying him. However, the moment he wants scritches or to be in my lap, I drop everything and let him. We go to extra steps to greet him when he walks into the room or we walk into where he is.

5) Hadn't thought of a scratching post, so that's a good idea.

6) the boxes would simply give him places against which he can back his butt to pee down. Moving was a litterbox delight for him, with so many thing to mark. (Yes, he's neutered.) He taught the trick to Kharma, but caging her seems ... SEEMS ... to have 'cured' her. I'm about to start caging him.

7) He seems to be interested in an open litter box I have in the big cage. I've been keeping it clean and open and he's using it .. sometimes.

The thing is he KNOWS! If I catch him, clap, and yell "PAULEY NO!" He looks at me and RACES for the litter box. Once he raced to pee in another room, which landed him in the cage for 2 days. That's when he started heading for the box.

Unfortunately, Nature's Miracle can only do so much with 30 year old (disgusting) carpet.

If the book has other things to offer, I'd love to hear about it. Do they make kitty Depends?

Thanks for the thoughts,
    Christine
    Christine

IMO......

Personally, I would start him again in your home.

By this, I mean I would isolate him in a spare room with food, water, toys and litter tray. Just like if he was a new cat, not to punish him but to allow him to feel more secure in your house.

When he is settled properly in the spare room (days or weeks what ever it takes) and hopefully he'll start using the new tray you provided for him.

Then slowly start to swap smells etc and introduce him slowly to your other cats. I take it you know the drill...swap smells...swap toys...swap soiled litter....swap cats...supervised play etc.

This might take several weeks but should help him feel more secure and hopeful solve his pee problem.
    Last edited by PayItForward; 01-17-2004 at 10:28 AM.

Actually, I've been very lucky. I seem to adopt Maine Coons, who are very laid back, and the 2 strays I've taken in have been INCREDIBLY laid back as well. I've never had to separate my cats. I just start by letting them out of their cage in front of the litter box, then I show them where the bed is and leave 'em alone. The bed makes them feel safe and they work it out on their own.

The only 'trouble' I've had is that my 18 year old girl Lucy hates everyone. She's a tabby and I think it's her nature to be possessive. Everyone else just gives a short hiss or two if someone gets to close, then eventually they forget to do that, too. I've been lucky.

I might have to take your advice, though, since Pauley has been acting up ever since he joined us in 1999. When I think about it, being taken from the owner he loved, flown with me from California to Washington, DC, the other cats, moving, etc? It does sound like trauma. Most people couldn't handle it, why should I think a cat would? <awk>

I'll have to put some of the doors back on in the house. This might be the best solution.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Christine

litter?

Have you changed the brand of litter when this started? Think I read somewhere that some cats prefer the scoopable (more sandy) to regular clay type.

Yes.
    They've always been on scoopable. I've gone from that, to clay, to organic corn, to different scoopables.

He doesn't seem to care, since he seldom sees fit to use it.

The vicious circle!
    Christine

Originally posted by aStarSeeker
    I might have to take your advice, though, since Pauley has been acting up ever since he joined us in 1999. When I think about it, being taken from the owner he loved, flown with me from California to Washington, DC, the other cats, moving, etc? It does sound like trauma. Most people couldn't handle it, why should I think a cat would?
    As you know, each cat is unique and will react differently to an situation.

I did throw Milly straight in with George (#1 introduction to #2)and I wonder if this directly led to their inital poor relationship.
    With #3 to #7 each was isolated until that cat wanted out.

Treacle (#4) demand out of the spare room after 30 minutes.
    Where as Sandy (#7) spend weeks in the spare room and still stays upstairs.

All the best

Something you might try...
    Re litter training, if you can. Take Pauley to the box very often, also before you put him in sitmulate the bowels by massaging them then put him in the box.

I know it sound weird but it work for our cat, she had to be retrained she knew about boxes but did think they were for her. She now believe that going potty is a social activity but she does it in a box.

Christine, you do have a job on your hands don't you! Pauley is rather naughty and I think that he has been through quite a lot. Payitforward made some good suggestions - I think isolation is what may be required now. Although I don't know how important it is in this situation, the extra attention you give Pauley may not be a good idea as I understand that this oftens just reinforces any insecurities they have. When they are feeling insecure, they need us to demonstrate confidence around them and they sense this confidence when we show that we are in control. The book I have is mainly about this type of behaviour and is quite extensive and detailed. If you like I can send you some information from it by air mail or by fax as this would be quicker than me typing it! You never know, it may just tell you what you need to know. You can email me your contact details if you like.
    JulieG