Thread: Breast Cancer in Guinie Pigs

Breast Cancer in Guinie Pigs

Is there such a thing as breast cancer in Guinie pigs? I think Mr. Wheekers (long story, he's not mine, yet) might have it. His back breast (is that even what you call it on a male, LOL) is in larged, very large, about as big as a queter and if you stood the quater on it's side probly that fat. It also is a hard lump. He seems normal, eats his veggies and pellets. He is 4 years old. Do you think this could be cancer???

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Mammary tumors are quite common in some small animals, so I don't see why a piggie couldn't get one. I hope he's ok!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Yes, any mammal can get breast cancer. Males as well as females can get it as well. Actually, my grandpa had breast cancer.

Many tumors are not cancerous, however.

My niece's male guinea pig got mastitis. Yes, even males can ... I didn't know that before. His symptoms sounded a lot like this guinea pig's.

The only way to be for sure is to take him to the vet for a checkup and examination.

http://www.provet.co.uk/Guinea%20pigs/guineapighome.htm
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Vet studies in recent years have correlated a close relationship between unspayed/unneutered animals and breast and reproductive cancers. I would take your guy to the vet....it doesn't matter if it's a human or animal cancer, it's a terribly painful way to die.
    Mom to 9 wonderful bunnies and an energetic young cat from you-know-where.
    Bunny Basics educator
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Noah, Casey, Daisy, Marie, Velvet, Emma, Robbie, Chocolate

If he was mine I would be there in a heart beat! But he isn't mine. Thanx for all the help! And the link it was wonderful!!!

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka