Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do your cats eat with their paws?

Do your cats eat with their paws?

Is this a common trait? It's soo funny to watch. I have 2 brothers I catch doing it sometimes and I'm soo entertained. Maybe it's very common?

I'd love feedback.

Thanks,

Kathy

Bastet eats with her paws but only if she *spills* wet food on the floor. She is very dextrous with her paws as well - she is also a left pawed kitty - meaning thats what she uses to eat with.
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

I have never seen Lucy do this but I did see Gigi do it a few times - once with a piece of food that was caught under her dish but the other time there was no explanation for it - she just picked it up with her paw and put it in her mouth! She did it so sweetly and gently.
    JulieG

Thane Peregrin Took (aka Pippin) is very deft at slipping a paw into a biped person's drinking glass and lthen licking off the milk, V8, or whatever...unsanitary and he gets yelled at, when we finish cracking up.

my boys do it with their wet food that they eat out of the cat (i'm a bad mom but it works for them) and sometimes out of a drinking glass of my water near my bed.

It's so dainty for my beefy tabs and so sweet and rather smart I guess.

I knew they weren't unique but you never see it mentioned anywhere, like cat cartoons or behavior books.

Kathy

Jazz will do that with a cat treat sometimes. She picks it up with both paws and sits up on her rear to eat it. It is so cute.

From Decker with Love

George uses his paws to eat yoguart.

When I have nearly finished a yoguart (well George is waiting), George will stick his paw in and tap the yoguart pot and then clean his paw and repeat. Silly Boy

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    My two do this occasionally - don't know what prompts them to do it as there's no pattern, rhyme or reason that I can see, but it's so cute (and messy! ) Silly kids!

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

One of my cats (Michael) will use one paw to take a piece of
    kibble out of the bowl onto the floor before he eats it. Never
    does this with wet food, only kibble. The other cats all just eat food right from their dishes.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Tinky sort of eats with her paws... she scoops her food out of the bowl to eat it off the floor...
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

Payitforward

That is the best quote!

My Mooky has got to be the laziest cat when it comes to eating. He will lay down in front of the bowl, scoop up a piece of dry food in his paw and then eat it. He does this about 6 or 7 times. But he does occasionally sit to eat and when we give him a piece of chicken on the floor, he jumps on it, starts batting it around and then scoops it up and eats it. He is such a silly boy.
    Katie, Chipper and my sons cat, Sades all eat normal.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

My Ash never does eat with his paws, but Lexie and Rb Sooti, yep both candidates for this, its very cute to watch, only specific food, like some raw fish or titbits, Lexie will pick it up in her paw and put it in her mouth, as for biscuits and wet food, she just eats it out of the bowl.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Re: Payitforward

Originally posted by kathy
    That is the best quote!
    Cheers

I've never seen either of mine eat with their paws, but if I leave the toilet bowl lid up, Nicodemus will drink from the toilet bowl by dipping in her paw and licking it. This is her preferred method of getting water (getting it from the toilet bowl)...she seems to find it better than the water that I provide in her dish for her!
    Randi