Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Any of you "older ladies" dealing with menopause? I could use some advice!

Any of you "older ladies" dealing with menopause? I could use some advice!

Well, ever since the hysterectomy I have been thrown right smack dab in the middle of menopause. My doc said it would happen but I didn't think it would happen so fast. It is the worse thing and I hate it! It started with the hot flashes and now I am starting to have really bad mood swings. It is the mood swings that are killing me now and making me think I am going insane. One doc says he doesn't think it would be a problem to start me on hormone replacement treatments and says it will make me feel like a new women. I don't know if I believe that. My other doc doesn't want to start me on them because they have a link to cancer and she says I've been there once so why tempt fate. they have put me on an antidepressant but it doesn't seem to be helping. I had a pretty bad episode Friday night and most of Saturday. It was awful and I don't even want to describe it. This is just not me. I am SO not like this. I called 2 of my doctors this morning and told them that something had to be done. I go to see my family doc at 9:30 in the morning and my gyn said she would be in contact with him. I was wondering if anyone was using any kind of HRT therapy or even a natural supplement. I could really use some advice on how you deal with all of this. I have been trying to do some research on the internet, but my brain just does not seem to be working lately. This is so embarrassing and I can't believe I'm posting this here. I'm just tired of feeling like a crazy woman. At least I know what is going on and am seeing my doctor about it. Thanks for listening!

Sorry to hear that you are going through that. I don't look forward to menopause at all!

Would you consider trying some natural remedies first? They may not work, but I don't think it would hurt to try, and save the hormone therapy as a last result?

Yes, I would consider natural remedies. I am willing to experiments a bit just so I can find the right thing that works for me.

Tonya...that is exactly what my sister says. She is a few years younger than me and already a bit of a moody person anyway ( I hope she doesn't read this hehehe). She is in for a rough time. You never know though it could be a breeze for you and her. Keep your fingers crossed.

Robin

Ok I just did a quick search and some suggested were Black Cohosh
    http://www.nativeremedies.com/mellow...enopause.shtml

And Soy Protein
    http://www2.revivalsoy.com/whysoy/re...9897AC7653042B

I think if you just went to your local pharmacy and talked to the pharmacist you could get a good idea of what to try.

This webpage gives an idea of what you can find at the pharmacy as well as some books that may be of interest.

http://www.safemenopausesolutions.co...lremedies.html

I think I am having those same syptoms you are. My friends that are taking hormone replacements don't seem to get long lasting good efects from them. So I am doing Black cohosh and I like it. There are herbal mixtures just for menopause that you can get from health food stores.

Robin, did you have a complete hysterectomy? I had a complete hysterectomy about 8 years ago. It threw me into an early menopause. It was very hard to deal with. The hotflashes, the mood swings were terrible.

I felt like I hated everybody and I mean anybody and everybody. The doctor put me on premarin, but it was such a small dose, I still experienced the mood swings and hot flashes, and the hot flashes are no fun at all. Like sticking you head down to your chest in a microwave and being cooked from the inside out!

I started taking the shots which I would get an injection once a month. I felt so much better and felt like a new person. I could always tell when my shot was due and everybody around me could tell. My son-in-law always says " hey old woman you need your bitch shot", or if I tell my husband " Jimmy, I hate you", he would rush me to the doctors office and tell them to give me a double injection. , I have tried to to get them to give him one too, LOL!

They run out so often here, the doctor started giving me the premerin again, and a larger dose. The shots were the best though. I am not sure if the pills has helped my mood or not. I don't seem to hate everybody as bad! and not too many hot flashes.

I know what you are going through on that, it is a terrible feeling!If you need to ask me any questions about it, feel free to ask.

I don't mind sharing my experience with the getting thrown in all at once, and that is what it does, nothing gradual about it. This is just having a ton of bricks dumped on you all at one time.

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

I recieved an injection last year to treat my Endometriosis and the doc said it might enduce menopause and boy did it ever!! I was moody and the hot flashes were horrible. I just kinda delt with it and let everything run it's own course, but from time to time I took Primrose Oil capsules (can be found over the counter at most pharmacies/grocery stores). I found that they helped.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I use black cohosh and soy tablet. It is great for the hot flashes. I have been going through this since I was 29, they will not do a hystro on me I'd love it. Same symptoms but no period would be great. I still am having some periods so I take primrose during that time for the mood swings.
    Please check about a synthetic hormone. Progertrone is gotten from pregnate horse urine. I don't even want to go in to the care of these horses and foals.
    Talk to a natralpath or the health food store in your area.

ramanth, they gave you an injection for Endometriosis? I had that except they said it was inside the walls of my uterus. Thats why I had the hysterectomy, it was so bad that I was losing so much blood. I was in a lot of pain too. This one doctor gave me estrogen and progestrin, and it seem like it made the pain worse. Did it do you that way?

I am just happy that I don't have the pain anymore. They gave me very strong pain pills and it didn't even phase the pain. Stayed laid out on the couch all the time, couldn't go anywhere at all.

So primrose helped you? Well anyway, I had all my plumbing removed. LOL. I was happy to get rid of the pain anyway I could.

I guess anything natural is a lot better than something that isn't.

Gee, I wonder if men are going to read this thread. . They going to get an earful aren't they?

Yep. It was the Lupron injection. Back to back birth control pills wasn't helping with the pain, so the doc decided to try Lupron.

It basically convinces the body that you are in menopause and stops your periods. Problem was, I was still having the Endo pain PLUS the menopause symptoms. ICK!

The Lupron is long out of my system but I still have an odd hot flash every now and then but not the crazy mood swings. I didn't know about Primrose when I was actually on the Lupron. I've only just recently started taking it and I think it helps. I'm back on the birth control pills.

I want to try and have children some day so I'm not ready to have the 'plumbing' removed just yet.

(I'm 26 btw)
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Please anything but Premarin or anything that’s made from pregnant mare’s urine! And we wonder why it causes cancer!?!?! Ew. I actually took Premarin until I knew better. Try something over the counter, or a more plant based prescription.

About the worries of it causing cancer, and that you’ve been there once and don’t want to risk that again? I’ll gladly risk it rather than be completely miserable. I mean, we survive cancer only to be miserable from now on? I don’t think so! Quality of life is of the utmost importance to me. You never know what might happen in the future; I sure never expected cancer, so who knows what may lay ahead?

I'm 39 and have been having problems. That lupron shot was the best thing that happened to me! It took away my moodiness and made me feel better than I had felt in about 10 years. Unfortunately, after the procedure I had done, I can't get the shot any more. I guess I have too high a hormone level or something. I sure know how you feel, though. Those hot flashes are horrible. It's like you're on fire on the inside. Oh, my doctor says I'm too young to be going through menopause. He's a man, what does he know? And, he wants me to wait 5 years before I can get a hysterectomy! I think I'm going to try that black cohosh, too. Might help me out a bit. Sorry you're having the problems but there are plenty of us here suffering with you.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

That is something that really makes me angry about doctors. They don't take what we women have to go through seriously. Wait for 5 years? If it was a man that went in with those symtoms, (which would be strange!) they would get instant relief. It took me so long to finally find a doctor that helped me, and took my symtoms seriously.

I prefer the shots horse piss and all to the pills anyday. They just can't seem to keep the supply here. Like I told one of the nurses, they gonna feel funny if a bunch of menopausal women come busting through the door with mood swings in our eyes, and we all get violent!! and hey there are a lot of here in this little town.

Hot flashes are the pits, talk about cooking from the inside out! or being turned upside down and dipped in hot scalding water! Downer!

There are a lot of products on the market right now in the nutrional aisle that are meant just for menapause. Some have soy, some black cohash, some vitamin E. Having tried a number of them and talking to a number of friends about them, it is like so many other things, something will work for one and not another. Right now I am taking 400 ius of Vitamin E a Day. I am also using a drink that includes soy(it's for dieting though). Together they seem to be working pretty well. My sister also told me of a product which I think I bought at Wal-Mart and I have tried it although I thought it was weird at the time but to may amazement it seems to work. It is called Progesterone Cream and you rub on it the palms of your hands and the souls of your feet.

By the way, your brain not working is another symptom of menapause. Not a fun time of life by any means!!!

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather