Thread: Sugar is depressed

Sugar is depressed

I have a sad kitty in my home, his name is Sugar. He has been my baby for 10 years. He's been with 3 other cats which have all been older than him and have past.
    He has always been "DA BABY!" and he knows it. My husband calls him "Little NG" which stands for "no good" cause he dosent like to be held to much and is basically a one person cat. I also call him "monster" cause he's a big brat but all in all "He's da Baby".

About 4 months ago we suffered putting down our beloved "Moneky Friend" (short haired blk/Wht) who had kidney cancer. We waited for just the right kitty to adopt but could not find one who would best fit Sugars behavior.

He loves to play and run around the house, so we thought we should get a kitten. Low and behold we found Kiko a wonderful 5 month old Bengal kitty full of energy and loves to play with others.

First thing she did was jump in bed with Sugar... He didnt like that much... and ever since has been depressed and hates playing when she's around.

We have cought him playing with her when we are not watching but if we notice he slaps her and has a hissy fit. He's very angry she gets different food than him. He has to eat UR for his urinary condition and of coures she gets kitty food.

I think he's mad because she's getting different food and he's getting the same old food. When our Monkey Friend was dying we fed him what ever he wanted to eat and at the same time gave what ever Sugar wanted to so I think he's mad at that.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Our kitty just loves him and he just hates it when she interferes in the attention I give him.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Welcome to Pet Talk

Rest in peace Monkey Friend, play well on the bridge. It is so sad when we lose, one we love.

Da baby is so sweet, I am not surprised you named him sugar, so apt.

So he is 10 years old and is having problems with a kitten...Mmm this sounds familar.

We adopted our Georgie (All black) two years ago and he was axprox 10 years old at the time. He was/is so sweet and loving and adored playing with us.

Several months later we decided to get a friend for George and adopted 8 month old Milly (Calico). She want to play with him all the time and he would sometimes play but would tire of her quickly and slap her and hiss. He wanted to sleep but he would have a kitten literally bouncing on his head

So after maybe two weeks we adopted a third cat Milo (Tuxedo) to play with Milly and peace reigned again. Milly and one year old Milo played together and let George sleep.Until I went on to adopt Treacle, Bramble, Tigs, Sandy

So I would give loads of cuddles with Sugar and you may have to temporally have to place Kiko in another room so he can't interfer with the loving.

If you have the space/money...adopting another young cat to play with Kiko, would give Sugar the space he needs.

All the best what ever you decide
    Last edited by PayItForward; 12-30-2003 at 01:04 PM.

I wish I had some advice for you but I have not had to dela with that situation. However PIF has some great suggestions.

I just wanted to say, welcome to PT!

I am so sorry to hear about your other kittiy though. It is always so sad to lose a memeber of the family.
    Bob & Joey,
    and their happy and willing slave, Bryan.

Many Thanks to Kay for the Picture.

My motto - "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"

Hi and welcome. Payitforward was the very first person I thought of when I read your story. A high spirited kitten, especially a wild type like a Bengal may not have been your best choice for a 10 year old suffering from the loss of his friends, but it is done. If a 3rd kitty was ever a thought that ever crossed your mind, that would be my very first suggestion. If not, try playing with your kitten a lot to keep him satisfied (and tired) and allowing Sugar some quality time of his own. if that means closing the kitten away from the 2 of you, so be it. Maybe, just for now, you could make Sugar think he is getting the same food as the kitten by a slight mixing of the food. You don't want to jeopardize his health, but maybe a treat now and then would help the situation. And last but not least, remember that time is your friend and this too shall pass. They just need to get more used to each other, and the kitten will grow. And as he does, their relationship will grow and change too.
    Keep us updated. Hope you enjoy it here.

He's coming around

Thank you all for the warm welcome and advice. Last night was a break through for Sugar.

I told my husband not only I but he needs to give Sugar a little extra attention without Kiko around or in the conversation when we talk to him.

For years, he would sleep above my head on a towel and Monkey Friend would sleep next to him. But as Monkey got sicker he, (Sugar) wouldn’t come on the bed anymore. When we put Monkey friend down Sugar would lay on my chest and look at the empty space for a while then jump off the bed. ack...Still tears me up.

So for the past few months, I've tried to get him back on the bed and he would not have it. A few times, he would wake me up by lying on my chest.

I've been picking him up the last few nights to try to get him back on the bed. Kiko backs off a little but still try’s to sleep with him. Last night was a breakthrough! I put a fresh towel above my pillow put Sugar there and he stayed. He even played with Kiko.

He jumped down, and I got him again. This time both my husband and I assured him to stay on the bed and kept Kiko in the middle. She watched as he started to clean himself and get ready for bed.

We were all so happy, even Kiko. I opened my blankets and sugar curled up next to me for about 20-30 minutes which is normal then he got up flopped down above my head on the towel. I looked up and Kiko had snuggled just a little next to him.

So I hope this is a new beginning for the NEW YEAR.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I am so happy to hear of your break through. It will take time, but this is a step in the right direction.

I love that photo of Sugar and monkey, how cute that they loved each other so much

Glad things are getting better in your home. May next year be even better.

Cats grieve just like people. I think with you as a "matchmaker" Sugar and Kiko will bond nicely.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Sugar is really a sweet cat and the picture of him and Monkey is very touching.

Good News

Sugar is doing better. As always, Kiko is a bit much at times but he loves to clean her when HE wants to.

Today was a major breakthrough. In the morning Sugar, use to walk across the bed rail to hit his head against ours and rub his sweet face on ours. However, since we have had Kiko he has not done that for me, only my husband.

Sugar has ALWAYS been the baby and I have spoiled him rotten. I have been giving him extra attention with out Kiko being involved and this morning I was finally rewarded!

After I put on my makeup, I walked out of the bathroom and saw Sugar sitting on the bedrail. I jumped for joy, clapped my hands, and mad a BIG fuss over him. He in return gave me his sweet little hit of his head to mine and a face rub with his face to mine.

I am so happy today that he is really coming around.

http://community.webshots.com/user/grnseaturtle