Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saint Bernard's?

Saint Bernard's?

My husband and I are talking about maybe adding another doggie to our household in the spring or summer.

My husband has always really liked Saint Bernard's and that is the breed we are thinking of going with. I know there are not very many Bernard owners here. So I was wondering if anyone knows of any good websites? We want to do lots, and lots of research before we decide.

Also we want to know how well they would do with Ginger? Since she is a smaller dog?

So if I could get some starters I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Tina
    "Careful what you say, careful what you wish or it may just regret it!"

I don't know anything about Saint Bernards! I wish I could give you some good advice!

I had one bad experience with Saint Bernards a couple of years ago. I was walking my neighbor's German Shepherd, and two Saint Bernards and two Greyhounds broke through the living room window of the house and chased me and Sassy down the street. I seriously thought I was going to be killed and mauled to death. I was only about 10 years old at the time. Poor Sassy was just a little puppy and was just as scared as me. I couldn't run fast, and I figured they were going after Sassy more than me, so I let Sassy go and she took off at about 45 miles per hour. She ran home and jumped the fence. My neighbor, Sassy's owner, came running outside frantic because she saw Sassy run by with out me being chased by the dogs. Luckily no one got hurt. We called the police, and the dogs were taken away from the owners.

The only GOOD experience I had with Saint Bernards was the Ohio Pet Talk meeting, where I got to see Binxy boy! What a cutie pie! I just LOVE him! I don't think I would have to worry abou him running me down!

Let me go browse around on the net and try and find some good sites for you!
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

My family has always loved St. Bernards. I grew up with one, Freckles, and Dad currently has one, Bruni. If you cannot stand drool, a Saint Bernard is simply not for you.

Both were female, extremely good with children, and good with small dogs, too. Both were well trained by Dad, did not go through formal obedience training, and didn't need to. The key is training them while they are young, and smaller than you and easy to control. You do not want to wait until you have a willful teenager of a pup who outweighs you to begin training!

They are pretty smart, but not genius-level in general. They are VERY sensitive. Yelling at a Saint Bernard is far more devastating than if you were to hit them. They reaaalllly want to please you.

They eat a lot as puppies (the first two years or so) but then it levels out suddenly. They are more likely to be couch potatoes than athletes, but need physical activity and mental stimulation like any dog.

If you cannot stand drool, a Saint Bernard is simply not for you.

That enough for now?

Thankyou Karen, yes that is enough info for now. Thankyou! And yeah I believe we can handle the drooling. I know that the Saint Bernard's drooling is worst then any other dogs. But when I lived with my parents they had a Cocker Spaniel that drooled alot and I mean alot!!! So I think I can handle it. It doesn't really bother me.

YLL- I'm really sorry you had a bad experience with a Saint Bernard. I know that had to been a very awful thing.

I don't have any infomation for you, but you could PM Cataholic, who has a Saint Bernard named Binx.

All I have to say is watch out for the Slobber!! lol

I have had 1 saint and 3 newfoundlands. I have had cockers also. Karen is right is you can't stand drool and I mean drool Buckets of it do not get one. We had a dry mouth but the foam while eating is just as bad. you can e-mail me questions if you want. We have our third newf now shes a goofy thing.

I'm glad to see you are doing your homework first, that is very smart and responsible of you. When I first started learning about Pit Bulls I just typed in "Pit Bulls" in my search engine and went from there. The AKC's website www.akc.org is a good place start. They give breed info as well as a list of breed specific rescues and a list of breed clubs who can give you referals to good resposible breeders. Another site with lots of good info on pretty much every aspect of owning a dog is the Dog Owners Guide website http://www.canismajor.com/dog/. This website also gives breed info on several breeds (St. Bernards being one of them) and what to look for as far as good and bad breeders, picking a pup, training, housebreaking, rescue dogs, behavior, etc. If there are any dog shows coming up in your area, go. That is the best place to see the best represintatives of the breed you are interested in. If there is a St. Bernard breed club in your area, find out if they are putting on any shows any time soon. You will be able to interact with the dogs and the owners. They can give you lots of info on their breed and let you know if they have any litters planned.

The best dog pairs I have ever encountered were big dogs and small dogs. The smaller dogs are usually the ones running the house, go figure. If you don't want to go through the puppy stages I would suggest getting a St. from a rescue. Most rescue dogs are 2 years and older, their temperament is already established so there are no surprises and the rescue/fosters can tell you a lot about the dog's personality, likes and dislikes, housebroken or not and if they get along with other dogs, etc. If you find a dog you like, take Ginger to meet it to make sure they get along before you take the new dog home. Even though you think you are getting a dog for yourself, you are really getting a dog for Ginger and she needs to help pick out the right dog. lol

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for your help. I done a search on google and I found some pretty good information there. I found the Saint Bernard Club of America.

Corinna-I may still end up e-mailing you and ask you some questions.

I have a St. Bernard

Hello There,

I have a St. Bernard he is now gonna be turning 4 already in Feb. I bought him in a pet store when he was just a pup, he was the cuttest thing ever. I have a male his name is Cody. Like everyone else has said they are big droolers that he is but he is definately a lovable dog. He loves to sleep he will just sleep with you all day. My saint bernard is good around other animals i have a small chihuahua and an american bulldog and he gets along great with them both, not too bad with the cat either i guess because he grew up around them. I absolutly love St. Bernards if u want to know anything let me know I bought a book about them maybe you should look at some books too
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Cody is handsome! Thanks for sharing a picture of him

i hope you end up getting one tina, you would make a great st bernard mommy
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

I love to talk about the big sillys so go ahead and e-mail me. They are big goofy things. Our current newf is the goofyest yet.

saint bernard puppies for sale

i have a litter of 10 saint bernard puppies for sale right now they will be ready to go the end of june email me and we can chat
    [email protected]
    jamie
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We are no longer looking to get a Saint Bernard right now. We are waiting until we get moved and have a bigger place. I'd love to have a Saint Bernard right now but my husband thinks it is best for us to wait.

We got just got a Boxer pup about 4 months ago. She is a great dog. I know big difference in sizes and breed but she is has been a really great dog so far.

If and when we do decide to get our Saint Bernard pup we may keep you in mind. But that probably won't be until 5 years from now maybe longer. Yep I know long time away but the way things look, it is going to take awhile for us to get out of the place were are now. Specially if we decide to build our own house.

The picture of your puppies are so adorable!! Oh, how I wish we could have one.