Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What could of caused it?....

What could of caused it?....

Today my mom was opening the door to let Jasper out, and he kind of flopped over and my mom put him back up, and it was almost like he almost passed out, then when he got up again, he went outside and threw up twice, and hes been very tired all day, I asked my mom what could be wrong, and she said she gave him alot of TURKEY last night could that be it? And if so, will he be ok? And if not, what else could it be??

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

Turkey isnt good for dogs, believe me I know, My dad was being dumb and he wanted to give Katie a little Turkey for Christmas..After she ate it, she started to walk like she was a drunk man. It scared us really bad...Turkey makes your pets really really tired. so something in the turkey must have done something. and jasper will be ok. just might be tired
    (it wasnt this Christmas, by the way)

If he threw up twice, he may have gotten rid of the "offending material" and from the times I remember throwing up when I was a kid, it's exhausting. Just keep an eye on him over the next day, feed him very simple food.

Originally posted by Amber
    Turkey isnt good for dogs, believe me I know...

Turkey makes your pets really really tired.
    Really? Do you have any links to support this? I'm just wondering because when Kai was on the raw diet, he often got raw turkey bones (which also had some meat on them still). He had them when he was a pup up to a couple months ago. I've never had him appear tired because of the turkey. Kai's breeder recommended giving raw turkey bones but if they are indeed bad for dogs, I'll stop with it.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

There is a chemical in turkey that makes people tired. I never thought about the affects it might have on pets, because turkey is something commonly used in diets for pets. I suppose it could be true.

Turkey isn't bad for dogs at all; it's the turkey skin or sometimes the darker meat of the turkey. It can cause pancreatitis.
    Last edited by wolfsoul; 12-25-2003 at 10:09 PM.
    I've been BOO'd!

Here is a link about the chemical L-Tryptophan that is found in turkey.

L-TRYPTOPHAN clearly plays an instrumental role in balancing mood and sleep patterns.
    I've been doing a little reading, and they make it sound like it would take alot of turkeyto make a person tired. Maybe the affects are different in dogs?
    I've been BOO'd!

Here's some info on pancreatitis. You may want to take Jasper to the vet, because pancreatitis is life-threatening.

Rich and fatty foods. These typically include the giblets, dark meat turkey and turkey skin, potatoes and butter-coated vegetables, gravy and stuffing. Too much fat can result in pancreatitis, which is a potentially life threatening condition.

Pancreatitis occurs when the dog is trying to digest a very fatty meal. During digestion, the pancreas produces enzymes to assist in the digestive process, but with pancreatitis, too many enzymes are produced; as a result the pancreas becomes inflamed and can even begin digesting itself. The symptoms are vomiting and diarrhea, usually bloody. Your dog can become dehydrated and die.
    http://petplace.netscape.com/Article...asp?artID=4406

http://petplace.netscape.com/article...w.asp?artID=15
    What to Watch For

Loss of appetite

Lethargy

Vomiting

Abdominal pain

Diarrhea

Fever

Weakness
    I've been BOO'd!

Turkey does have the makings of a natural sedative in it, an amino acid called tryptophan (pronouned trip-ta-fane). It is not harmful, but often gives a langorous, drowsy feeling after eating turkey.

I don't believe turkey is necessarily bad for dogs... in fact, I fed my collies a turkey and barley dog food formula. When they got older and had glass stomachs, this food seemed mild and bland enough not to upset their tummies.

But any departure from the normal diet, especially accompanied by excitement/nervousness and goings on, can be a likely cause of some tummy upset. There is also the off chance of a food allergy.

Generally, turkey/chicken are not particularly fatty meals, of unless he ate a lot of skin as mentioned above.

Hope this helps.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

No, I dont have any links, my dad told me. He told me how it has a chemical in it the makes you tired, and I just thought it does the same for pets.

Max had these stmptoms:

vomiting and diarrhea, usually bloody.

Maybe Max was having problems with his pancreatitis & not cancer?

Hmm..I guess Kai didn't have enough to make him sleepy. Thanks for the above info.

Turkey bones !!! They can splinter and kill a dog . I have never heard of such a diet, did a vet give it to you? poultry bones are really bad for dogs.

raw bones are ok

it's the cooked bones that are the problem. in a BARF(bones and raw food or biologically appropriate raw foods) diet, raw bones, with some meat on them are part of the diet. alex has been on it for 3 years now. i don't give pork bones(too rich for alex, he's had pancreatitis), the chicken necks, backs and wings, turkey necks and backs, as well as raw fish have been his main protein sources. remember, until the late 1940's there were no commerically made dog kibble type foods in the united states.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Originally posted by Corinna
    Turkey bones !!! They can splinter and kill a dog . I have never heard of such a diet, did a vet give it to you? poultry bones are really bad for dogs.
    Yes they can indeed splinter and kill a dog. Kibble can kill a dog. Toys can kill a dog. There are always chances. I don't think anything is really 100% dog proof. The vet didn't give it to us but he assisted me in making the decision. A few other pet talkers also feed the raw diet. The raw diet doesn't consist of only bones. There's also veggies, organ meats and supplements (for those who choose to supplement). I don't feed this diet anymore though. My boys are on a staple diet of chicken soup for the dog lover's soul with some beef bones for teeth (less likely to splinter). Whether poultry bones are bad for dogs or not, that could get into an extremely long and hefty debate. So I'll just end it by saying, let's agree to disagree.

Merkin did the same thing yesterday

When we were opening the presents yesterday little Merlin was very excited and was running around tearing up wrapping paper. After about 5 minutes of this he went over to his bed and threw upm then he wobbled a bit and fell on his side. I took him out then he vomitted again. After a few seconds he was fine and playing again. Hopefully Jasper was just over excited.
    Bardolino
    Merlin our pup