Thread: Sister may be adopting puppy - Need info on Demodex.

Sister may be adopting puppy - Need info on Demodex.

My sister and I went to the Humane Society today to 'visit' the dogs. She fell in love with a 4-5 month old puppy named Trey. He's a lab/pit mix and has gotten over Demodex. I know i'ts a type of mange, but I want to know more about it/costs/ any information you have to give will be appreciated. He's over it and cured right now, but they said I could come back and it's very costly.

He's such a sweet little puppy, and so silly of course. He's tan, of course While my sister went to talk to the people in the office about him I sat with him in the visiting area. He sat on my lap and just stayed there most of the time, until I put him down to take pictures. No squiggling or anything.

We're going back Friday at 10 when they open. (they're closed Tommorow & Thursday)

Lets all keep our paws, claws, and fingers crossed that Mr. Trey will become a part of our family, and maybe a new name as well...

Here's some pictures, they don't even do him justice. He's ten times as adorable in real life.

I'm not sure if any of you remember Peppy... But he reminds me of a younger version of Peppy

What a sweetie!!! Sorry i can't help with the mange question, but you may try PM'ing Mugsy. I know she has dealt with it, I'mjust not sure if it was Demodex or not.

If she doesn't have enough money to take care of a lot of potential vet visits, I would recommend that she get another puppy. Some demodex dogs require montly dippings for the rest of their life to prevent it from coming back. That is not the case for all of them, but something to be prepared for. They also need to be on a very high quality food for the rest of their life.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

he looks kinda like nala
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Demodex mange

A question to ask the shelter is whether the mange was generalized, or localized to one or a few locations. A generalized form is usually genetically based and may reoccur. A localized infection of mites is usually stress related. For example my 3 mo. lab mix picked up kennel cough from the shelter, and came down with symptoms a week after I got him. A couple of weeks after that the mange appeared. Approximately 80% of the puppies "outgrow" their mange. The remaining 20% are likely to have a genetic defect (e.g. T-cells) which allows it to reoccur.

Currently my little critter puppy is receiving oral ivermectin in an effort to get the mites under control. Being a lab he doesn't mind getting those nice warm oatmeal shampoo baths either.

there are 2 types of mange:

-sarcoptic: which is the same as scabies in humans it is very very contagious. Once treated it does not return unless the dog contacts it again from somewhere or something (foxes are natorious for sarcoptic mange)

-demodectic mange is a mite that is found on most dogs, ussually it causses no problems in most dogs. Demodectic mange is still kinda a mystery in a way. You can treat it & it may go away for some time but it is very likely to return again & again. Interceptor (a heartworm med) can help this problem but a pill is needed everyday which would cost a fortune for a large dog like that. Sometimes (fairly rare) it can become so severe & meds dont really help that it can litterally take the life out of the dog. Here are some links to some sites w/ info.

http://www.mesavet.com/library/mange.htm
    http://www.barkbytes.com/medical/med0019.htm

I strongly suggest you speek to a vet before adopting this guy as it can be very costly to treat when flare ups do happen.

Also just a forwarning, a lot of dogs look very ugly with this & obviously it affects their skin which can be become scaly & whatnot, is your friend willing to come up with money for vet bills & look into the inner beuty of the dog?

Deffiently is a cute pup!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I'm sure how "ugly" the dog is on the outside wouldn't mean anything to my sister.

Thanks for the info everyone..

I was searching and found this story . Poor little girl started off all mangy. But he got a home.

Here's an informative site.
    I've been BOO'd!

Thanks for the info everyone, my sister won't be getting the puppy though.

Right now, my brother may be selling his house (where she lives) and she works so much she doesn't really have time for a dog, especially not a puppy.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Poor guy, I hope someone comes for him soon.