View Poll Results: What pet would you NEVER want to have?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Tarantula

41 66.13%
  • A Snake

9 14.52%
  • A Ferret

2 3.23%
  • A Hermit Crab

3 4.84%
  • A Rat or Mouse

2 3.23%
  • Other

5 8.06%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there any type of pet wpuld you NEVER want to have?

Is there any type of pet wpuld you NEVER want to have?

Is there any type that frightens, disgusts, or annoys you SO much that you would never want to have one? What is it? I am completely terrified of tarantulas and would never get one.

I really can't see myself having a cat when im older. Theres nothing wrong with them, im just a dog person.

I did not know if I could vote for more than one, but No WAY would I have a spider for a pet. Hermit crabs give me the creeps too. And I just couldn't love a snake. And at this point in my life it appears I would not have a dog. (too demanding of your time, cats are lazy....like me )

i would have all those animals EXCEPT a tarantula. possibly a chinchilla b/c they're usually taken from their natural habitat. (from poachers and trappers)
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

Add Glitter to your Photos

~Kari~

A snake sorry snake lovers

A tarantula!! I'm terrified of spiders.

I would have all of the others...but I don't want to lol. I'll barely have enough time for the animals that I plan to have lol.
    I've been BOO'd!

Originally posted by cocker_luva
    i would have all those animals EXCEPT a tarantula. possibly a chinchilla b/c they're usually taken from their natural habitat. (from poachers and trappers)

FALSE! Chinchillas are no longer taken from the wild, we have too many kept in captivity. They are almost extinct in the wild and are now protected. Pet store chins come from breeders. It is rare even today to see a chinchilla farm, although they still do occur.

And why would you not want because it came from a farm and was domestically raised? I would much rather rescue one then buy from a breeder. Chins make great pets. I used to have a Pink Eyed White boy named Chinchilly Willy and he was one of the best pets I have ever had. Breeders these days pay specific detail to pedigrees etc. breeding for health, temperament and colors.

As far as those animals mentioned above, I would keep them all. I am not too fond of spiders but I really do like some tarantulas. I also love snakes, and well I currently own about 30 rats so.......

One thing I think I would not own is a monkey.......although I like lemurs. Any other monkies scare me.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Lemurs are monkeys? I didn't know. Monkeys do frwak me out quite a bit but I'd much rather snuggle a monkey then a tarantula....

Spiders!!!! There is no way my husband would allow it and I think I can totally agree with him.

I don't think we would be too likely to get a snake or a rat. If we someday have kids that want a reptile or rodent, I would lean toward an iguana or mouse, ginuea pig, etc

Another pet will will probally never have is a cat, not out of disgust, but because we are both allergic.

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    A tarantula!! I'm terrified of spiders.
    Same here
    None of the others would be a problem though.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Definitely a tarantula and here's a little creepy story for you! My son, in his high school years, used to bring home various pets. In fact he is responsible for us even having Trevor, but I digress...

Anyway, he had brought a tarantula home, complete with set-up, and assured me it would ALWAYS be inside it's cage. It gave me the creeps to even go into his room! Well, one night my husband was snoring so loudly that I couldn't stay in that room for one minute more. My son had bunkbeds, so at 3:00 AM I climbed into the top bunk of his bed to finish out the night and maybe get a little rest.

The next morning I was changing the sheets on everyone's beds and what did I find walking across the top bunk bed (where I had just been sleeping!!!)....... on top of the comforter!!!! You guess it! I was almost fainting and hyperventilating at the same time! I managed to trap it under a cup while I was shaking like a leaf. My son says he has no idea how it got out of its cage but I wasn't in the mood for explanations. That creepy thing was OUTTA HERE!!! (Sorry for those of you who like spiders. I just can handle them at all!)

Originally posted by luckies4me
    Chinchillas are no longer taken from the wild, and are now protected.
    thats good, then YES i would have a chinchilla then!
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

~Kari~

my mom used to work at an eye doctors office and said there were alot of cases where tarantula owners would come in with spikes in their eyes!!! i don't want any kind of animal that has a venous bite AND can shoot spikes at you!

~Kari~

Originally posted by cocker_luva
    my mom used to work at an eye doctors office and said there were alot of cases where tarantula owners would come in with spikes in their eyes!!! i don't want any kind of animal that has a venous bite AND can shoot spikes at you!
    The petshops/ rescues here make sure that the tarantula is no longer venamous. I've never heard about the spike thing.
    I've been BOO'd!

A tarantula! Spiders freak me out, especially big hairy ones!

Pam, at least you were kind enough to catch the tarantula. My mom bumped into my brother's in the hallway and she flushed it down the toilet. Although I don't like them, I thought that was a horrible thing to do. My brother found out what really happened to the spider years later and he was so mad!