Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: CRISIS in Northern Illinois

CRISIS in Northern Illinois

I've just been notified that a backyard breeder in Joliet is being shut down. Animal Control already has 30 GSDs and are expecting 50-60 more. Most are 6-7 months old. This is just horrible.

I may just have to take in a foster (like that will really help all these poor innocents). I don't know if it is a good idea with Killian's autoimmune disease, though.........but I have to do something!!!!

I am asking for prayers for these poor dogs. What a hopeless situation!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

Helping to save one is better than worrying, Sue. This is a horrible tragedy. You keep us posted as you can, please, and all those precious GSD will be in our prayers.

Logan

I e-mailed my vet to ask for her help in checking out these GSDs and also if she thinks it would be ok for Killian to have a foster here again. Hopefully she says yes.

They are being held at the shelter where Killian and Shiloh are from. Four rescues are working on this. I am going to see if I can sneak in and see these guys at the shelter this weekend. What a tragedy. Maybe I can transport.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Sue,

Do you know what rescues are working on it? I'm going to contact some and don't really want to overlap. I will call my rescue contacts. Hopefully, Carol (Diesels Mom) will come online and see this and maybe she can help. She is involved with LabLinks. I will do my best.

Molly

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Molly, there are four GSD rescues working on this. Northern Illinois German Shepherd Dog Rescue www.gsdrni.org is one of them. I volunteer for them. I am not sure, but Central IL GSD rescue may be in on it, too.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

I've got my friend Kim on the trail of rescues now. I just had a kid go out and get my cell phone so I could call her and ask. She knows of one rescue that may help and she will give me the info when I call her when I leave school. The battery is low now, so I will call Jackie when I get in the car. I will call Valerie in MN to see if she can help (although I want her to take Mack from Jackie if she hasn't found a place for him). I will call Holly to see what she can do too. I'll alert Carol to your thread and her put feelers out. I will call Ruth when I get home...I know she does rescue, but it's mostly small dogs and they are just a few people who have foster homes. I will probably see if Rosie can take a few at Southside Animal Shelter. I hope they can all be saved. I'm so bad...I have papers to grade and record and what am I doing? Looking for rescues! lol Oh well, this is more important....the kids can wait one more day.

Sue, Kim wanted to know if you could give me any more information so she could pass it along to other rescues.

Molly

Pm'd you, Molly!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

How awfully, awfully sad.

I have started e-mail people in my area. I am about 30 Miles East of Cleveland, OH. The rescue I got Sierra from is no longer a GSD rescue, but there is another rescue close to me, and I have sent my spider webbing e-mails to all the people I know that would help! TRUST me... if I had somewhere to house the pups, I'd take as many as I could! But I have a small house!

Paws and fingers crossed that we can help some of these poor pups!!!!

*The rescue I am contacting is DOGS HOPE in Lake County Ohio*

www.dogshope.com
    Last edited by pitc9; 12-17-2003 at 01:01 PM.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I have a friend in Michigan (the girl who has James Bond, Moses, and Timber the black and tans) who is willing to take the long haired and blacks....Kari has her info....I hope it works out.

Sue, Thanks for the call...it was good to hear your voice. Please let me know. Kari did finally call, but left a voice mail on my cell phone.

OMG, Molly! There are 160 of them coming in now.

I have been there to see them. The eyes, the eyes...Yes, we will need all the help we can get. Kari is going on two days with no sleep and is exhausted. She has been at the shelter since 1:30 this morning and still going, waiting for a new shipment of 30 more dogs in a few hours.
    It is hell. I have seen it.

Any all breed rescues, Husky, Beagle, Pit Bull could help by pulling the dogs who are already at the shelter to make room for the GSDs.
    This is the shelter Killi and Shi are from...It is a kill shelter.

Gotta go spread the word. Thanks for the help and to all who can help.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Found this one, Molly!

What shelter is this? Do they have a webpage or anything? I can forward to all of my contacts as soon as I get home from work tonight. Molly - can you send me a link to the shelter page via e-mail?

-Carol

160, Sue??? OMG..........I don't know what I can offer from this far distance, other than prayers, which I will do right away. Please keep us posted.

Sue, I crossposted to Just Dogs, in hopes that Tracy will see this and jump in with any assistance she can handle. I will crosspost anywhere else i can, as well.

Is there any media link that we can share??? If anyone has something, post it here, so we can share it with the other information.

Logan

Phone number to help

Just got further info on the GSD situation. There is a phone number at the end, if anyone is able to help.

Donations are being accepted - food, blankets, bowls, crates, funds - anything at all!

--Carol

This makes the Arenac Husky Crisis look like a cake walk. OMG.
    Permission to Cross Post. Phone numbers given in message are the contact, please don't reply to me or the list.
    Laurel

To: <[email protected]>
    Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 11:03 AM

And here's what I'm talking about. Geez. ;-)

This is Beth Riddle writing regarding a very serious atrocity that has occurred in our state and in our little German Shepherd community.
    A mentally ill woman was served a warrant on Dec 16th and Dec 17th regarding the removal of animals from her property. The first wave consisted of about 90 dogs and over 70 of them were purebred GSD's. Last night at 11pm I received a phone call from my colleague that had just finished cataloging the final pull from the womans house. 160 young GSD's , nursing mothers, pups, and just a small handful were other breeds. The GSD community is shocked. I am crying and shaking as I write you, because we worked so hard yesterday to pull just the first 22 out of the shelter and get them into rescue. Then as we were going to bed feeling pretty good, I received this phone call. The holidays make finding kennel space impossible. We are begging, we never beg, but we are on our knees to former adopters, contributors, anyone who loves German Shepherds to please help this huge rescue effort. The shelter cannot coordinate the rescues, so it is a team effort consists of Northern IL GSD Rescue, their founder and President is logging and cataloging the dogs, Chicagoland GSD Rescue is digging up a couple spaces and on the phone, Central Illinois GSD Rescue is contacting nationally and coordinating transport, foster care, and will also be pulling some of these angels. They are everywhere at the shelter. They are in cages, kennels, tied to the walls, and though they were eating dirt, had no food, are close to starvation, they just look at us and wag their tails. It is absolutely killing us to see this. We could use money for medical care, we could use puppy canned food and puppy dry food, puppy pan to feed them in, crates, kennels and most of all space! Anyone with a farm that could serve as a temporary M*A*S*H unit, or shelter. I stress there is no where to go with these kids. Transporters for national distribution. I can't even think.

IF you want to help, please call at 217-337-5832 or 217-377-7135 and we'll figure something out. Thank you for your consideration.

Rick and Beth Riddle
    Central Illinois German Shepherd Dog Rescue Urbana, IL